Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Funky Fingers Mrs. Mint

Did you know that today is National Chocolate Mint Day?

Don't worry, I didn't know this was a thing either until last November, when I was Googling chocolate mint cake recipes for my boyfriend's birthday. As I said back then, he LOVES chocolate mint anything. I used to love chocolate mint as a kid (does anyone remember Viennetta ice cream?), but I'm not super fond of that flavor now. I do like mint on my nails, though. It's nice.

I have to say I'm not entirely happy with these photos ... they're okay, although something seems off to me. If I have time, I'll try to swatch it during my next swatching marathon. The weird thing is, even though I think they're a bit off, I still feel they're more accurate than many of the photos that turned up when I did a Google image search for Mrs. Mint, especially my first three photos. (Can you tell I got home eager to swatch, only to find I was losing light?)




Four coats with NYC Grand Central Station.










I was in the mood for green one weekend, so I brought a few options to Krysi's house one night and had her pick for me. She picked Funky Fingers Mrs. Mint, which is a minty, seafoamy, blue-leaning mint with golden shimmer. That shimmer warms up the base color a little bit and adds a somewhat pearly finish to it, but this definitely leans blue in most lights. It's gorgeous! (And super unique to my stash.)

Mrs. Mint's formula and application, however, weren't what I was expecting. I expected as a pastel, it would be a little chalky. It was, but if I left the bottle open too long, it also was the slightest bit goopy, but nothing that working carefully couldn't prevent. It's opaque at three careful coats, but I needed four because it was dark and I wasn't completely satisfied. ;) This also dried semi-matte, so I did need top coat to make it shine. You guys, I was *so* impressed with this one's wear with NYC Grand Central Station! I had this on for four days with ZERO CHIPS and only the least visible amount of tip wear (but the kind that chalky pastels give you, which is normal to me). !!!

I bought Mrs. Mint at Five Below back in July with the house 3 for $5 deal, but I can't remember if it still was available at Five Below when I popped in at the end of January. Sorry, guys. But I DO know that they still had a full bin of Jawbreaker! If you're able to get Mrs. Mint on your hands -- or your hands on it -- then it's worth it.

Oh, and this was the polish I wore the weekend I met Stephanie's fiance for dinner in Richmond. I have been told he observed that it was mint. Well done, Ben! It was pretty dark at the restaurant, but I guess when you're with a polish addict collector, you'll probably notice a few things. ;)

What do you think of Mrs. Mint? What's your favorite obscure food holiday? Most importantly, who else remembers Viennetta?

Thanks for reading! Hope to see you back on Friday.

12 comments:

  1. OMG Vienetta. Blast from the past! I'm pretty sure I used to call it Vienna ice cream when I was little.

    Also this is gorgeous =) Now I will eat a mint chocolate chip klondike bar tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone DID call it "Vienna" sometimes. At least, my dad did? ;)

      Delete
  2. Don't remember Vienetta... But I feel I should though, I'm such a chocolate and ice cream junkie! Gorgeous polish! And there's nothing wrong with your pictures, they're beautiful as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thank you so much for the lovely assurance, Gosia! <3

      Delete
  3. ooooh Vienetta. SO yummy! Just like this polish. I'm such a sucker for colors like these with that pearly gold shimmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSSSSS. Especially if they are white. I gotta have them all.

      Delete
  4. Hahahaha. Ben: "She was wearing GREEN nail polish. Like a MINT color."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, this one calls my name! Alas, no Five Below's around this area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can find it next weekend, do you want it?

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.