Friday, February 7, 2014

Valentine Week: Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure First Kiss

Hey, so remember when I said I would start posting Valentine polishes yesterday? Yeah, about that. I had half the post written prior to Wednesday night, but when Wednesday night rolled around, I was so exhausted that staying awake for my daily nighttime phone call with my boyfriend was almost too much for me. I've been so tired and emotional that I've been falling apart over the dumbest things! Yesterday on the way to work, I was streaming the Bee Gees classic "How Deep Is Your Love" on my phone, and I almost cried when the song stopped streaming after the second verse. And this was *after* I got really upset that I wasn't able to post yesterday! My usual attitude is this: "Life happens, whatever, I'll post another day," but yesterday I was irrationally upset. I am in a real bad way right now. Again, I'm hoping a weekend escapade will help sort me out! (And there is some SUPER fun shit going down tomorrow.)

But excuses, schmexcuses.

Let's do this Valentine thing and start with Sally Hansen CSM First Kiss, from the Spring 2011 SH CSM collab with designer Tracy Reese. I think this one was re-released last spring, too; however, my bottle is from the original 2011 release.

If First Kiss doesn't seem like a typical Rach polish to you, hear me out. One, I collect SH CSM collaboration shades like it's my job. It's all about the thrill of the hunt, limited edition fever, and the fact that the CSM line is one of my drugstore favorites. Two, I was on the hunt for my perfect pink coral polish back in 2011, so into my Target basket this went. Better to get it now than miss it and pay beaucoup bucks on eBay a few months down the road, right?

First Kiss languished in my Helmer for a couple of years. And then it languished on my night stand for most of last year until I came up with the idea of a Valentine week. I wasn't sure if I would like it, but you know what, I do.

I used three coats + SV for today's swatches. Sorry about my cuticles. Wintertime, yo.

It's an interesting shade, but corals are really strange on me. Sometimes they take on an orange-ish, cantaloupe tint ...






... and sometimes they veer toward pink.






See? They can go either way. Oddly, though, I don't have a problem with First Kiss. Is it my perfect pink coral? Noooooooo, but I like it a lot anyway because for some reason, it reminds me of lipstick. It, much like love, will stay. --In my stash, that is.

As far as formula and application go, this one wasn't as bad as I was afraid it might be. You're probably thinking, "Gosh. What a ringing endorsement." Here's the thing ... it's pastel. Rarely are pastels easy to work with! They're either chalky or watery -- boy, was First Kiss watery. If it weren't so watery, I would say it was a jelly-creme finish, but no signs of squishiness here! As a result, it didn't start looking really opaque until the third coat. I'm not completely sure about the dry time, because I let it sit for an episode of "Enlisted" before touching it. I was too afraid to dent it since SV + watery polishes don't always play well together, so who knows. It might have been dry before I felt comfortable checking. Since I swatched this, I can't report on wear.

What do you think? If you own First Kiss, is your bottle from the 2011 or the 2013 release? Do you have a perfect pink coral shade? (Right now, I'm in love with Essie Peach Daiquiri, although I remember liking Cute as a Button, too. Whoa, I need to reswatch that one.) And for giggles, what was the last ridiculous thing that set you off? If it's more ridiculous than a Bee Gees song not streaming on your smartphone in 20-fucking-14, then ... a cookie dough Oreo for you.

Finally, any thoughts on my Valentine Week polish experiment? I mean, YES. It's a total Hallmark holiday, but for some reason, I'm not militantly opposed to it. The last time I remember hating Valentine's, I was an angry, ~cynical 16-year-old, and we aaaaaaaall know 16-year-olds are unparalleled experts at life. Please don't think my change of heart (... puns!) has something to do with the fact that I've been in a relationship for the past few years! It's not. I think I've just come around to embracing the humorous side of it. Consider this:
  1. Some Valentine's cards are fucking hilarious. Especially fandom ones, oh my God. I'll send that junk out all year.
  2. When "Parks and Rec" introduced the concept of Galentine's Day, I thought, "Holy shit, that's GENIUS." My friends have always been there for me and vice versa, so WHY NOT celebrate that, regardless of relationship status?
  3. Swatching these polishes was a fun way to speed up my stash culling process. And if you know me, there are very few things that are more fun than themes.

Reading this over, this might sound a little defensive. Whoops. But I want to have fun, and if you're thinking this Valentine business might not be for you, that's completely legit. Feel free to skip all my posts until maybe the 19th. We're cool! For everyone else, I'm posting another polish tomorrow. It's the one I would have posted today if I hadn't fallen behind, but that's okay, right?

Thanks for reading, and happy Friday!

14 comments:

  1. So far my favorite coral I've ever worn has been Kinetics Nail Colors Coral Sea. I haven't worn it since 2011, according to my search feature, so I should probably haul that one back out one of these days.

    ALSO here is the last thing that made me lose my shit: it was last night, and I was watching the Olympics, and this commercial came on that had Sia's Breathe Me as its soundtrack. Holy fuckballs, I started to just WEEP on my couch because it's the finale song for Six Feet Under and I PTSD'd so hard. SO HARD RACH. And then it made me feel feelings and it just wouldn't stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go back to your blog and look for that post. It is STUPID PRETTY. Those gold flecks, I die! You should bring it out for spring. :)

      SFU FEEEEELIIIIIIIIIIIIINGS. They never go away. For some reason I only get those feels when I see pictures of Lauren Ambrose, but not so much with the other cast members/guest stars. It's weird. But she's great.

      Delete
  2. This is really pretty! It does actually make me think of a melon but either way, it's a really lovely shade. Literally the only coral type shade I have is the one that you sent me, which was from ULTA, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. I loved wearing it though. I don't really celebrate Valentine's Day but I've been enjoying wearing lots of pink girly manis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes coral shades are more melon on me, but this is lovely. Oh, whoa -- we gotta get you some more corals, girl! :)

      Delete
  3. Corals are my Sisyphean fate. I am forever purchasing corals thinking they will be as gorgeous and juicy as my Holy Grail coral, Maybelline Firefly (not the frosty pink nightmare, the 2002 version) and having them fall abysmally short.
    I'm pretty weepy myself, lately. That is, when I'm not eating. Oye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's *such* a difficult color to get right, especially if your skin tone goes a bit weird like mine does. I hope you find your perfect coral soon. :)

      Oh my God, do not even get me started on how many feelings I've been eating lately! <3

      Delete
  4. Yo, I LOVE Valentine's Day. And you know if I was in a romantic comedy, I would be Perpetually Single Friend Who Just Can't Meet a Nice Boy. My mom used to make heart-shaped pancakes and I always woke up with a heart-shaped balloon in my bedroom. (The Valentine's Days where I did have a boyfriend were so underwhelming. He never even bothered to buy me a card.)

    This color is really good on you! I love coral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwwwww. I think it's fun to get into holidays now and go all out. Plus, chocolate. Who doesn't love chocolate? I just feel like Valentine's Day decorations come out literally the day after Christmas. Just ... WHAT, CAN I HAVE A WEEK PLEASE??

      Thank you! <3

      Delete
  5. Ooh I love Sia's Breathe Me *good choice Stephanie!*
    Maybe you're pregnant! :) I was emotional for no reason at the beginning of my first. :)
    Looks pretty on you btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhhh, "Six Feet Under" feels!

      And that would be my instinct, except for the whole last week was Shark Week thing. ;)

      Thank you, Natalie! I like it a lot.

      Delete
  6. God damn if I don't love a good coral like this! Reminds me of BL Trout Pout.

    Ahh Valentine's day. I totally seem like the kind of person that would hate VD, but on the contrary, I've always enjoyed it. We've never made a big deal out of it, sometimes we go out for a nice dinner, sometimes we stay in for a nice dinner, sometimes we just say fuck it and do nothing. My favorites are always the ones where he sends flowers to work, cause who doesn't love getting flowers at work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I forgot all about Trout Pout. (Sidenote, doesn't it feel like FOREVER since that one was released, too?)

      My friend's friend and her husband have been together for so long they just troll the day now. Last year, they went to Hooter's for VDay dinner. I have no idea how they're gonna top that!

      Oh, and for a while, my boyfriend kept getting roses delivered to his work EVERY YEAR from someone we fondly refer to as his stalker. He stopped getting them a couple of years ago ... I think the last time might have been 2011. LMFAO.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.