Wednesday, March 5, 2014

China Glaze Dandy Lyin' Around, OR: "Pretty good for a white"

Okay, time to drop a truth bomb: For the most part, the 2014 spring collections are not wowing me. This is not to say that I haven't bought any Spring 2014s, because you know I bought some. I just think we've already seen this year's spring colors before. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

I'm still sick, so before I bombard you with my picks from China Glaze Spring 2014, let me throw back with a quick swatch from China Glaze Spring 2013. Half of Avant Garden lived up to its name; the other half did not. I know some people did not like Dandy Lyin' Around (*cough* Steff) while other gals were very pleased about how good this was "for a white."

Pics first, and then I'll spill my $0.02 on this polish.




Four coats with SV.








Ladies, I cannot lie to you. I REALLY liked this polish. It was, in my experience, absolutely "pretty good for a white." It's a softer off-white rather than a blinding Wite-Out white, if that makes any sense. And the shimmer is really nice. Bonus points for successful execution of its namesake. Gotta love that.

Continuing the whole truthiness angle, this polish was a *royal* PITA to apply, so I guess what I really liked about it was how it looked. No, it was not because of the formula, which truly was "pretty good for a white." The culprit was the brush on my bottle. It splayed out and several brush hairs had UNEVEN LENGTHS. Brush surgery is not my forte, so I did what I could and went to work. It was a bitch, but this was nice and opaque in three coats. I don't know why I used a fourth. I'm sure I had a reason, but I swatched this polish at least two weeks ago, so I don't remember any more. Dry time was surprisingly decent with SV. I removed this immediately after getting pictures because there was a snafu in which this polish spilled all over my mom's desktop keyboard while I was trying to polish my right hand. After getting most of it off the keyboard I was like, "OMG fuck this" and made myself some lunch. /csb

Dandy Lyin' Around was from last year's Avant Garden collection, which I believe you should be able to find at some beauty supplies. It's also readily available online. If you hunt it down, I really hope your brush isn't as jankity as mine was! Other than that, I like this polish, but I know a lot of you won't; I also admit that I find at least three coats par for the course when it comes to uber-pastels and whites, so I don't understand it when people clamor for two-coaters. It is just never going to happen.

But yeah. Pretty good for a white.

Thanks for reading! I'm not sure if I'll be back again before this week is over, but I hope this stupid cold?/flu?/whatever goes away soon so I can get back into the swing of things. I'm glad I had these swatches saved juuuuuuuuust in case, but I miss the routine. It's crazy how stopping something for one week throws you off your game (which is not specific to blogging). Anyway, you'll see one more Avant Garden soon -- just drop me a comment to let me know if you would rather see that polish or a City Flourish one first! Thanks. :)

13 comments:

  1. Beaaaaautiful on you! I totally get Spring '14 not being all that appealing...I've bought a whopping total of 2. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bb! <3

      I love how I always say "this spring is boring" and then I buy 8 from a collection. True story.

      Delete
  2. This is a really pretty color! I just saw a discounted bottle of it at CosmoProf last weekend and almost got it, but I wasn't sure if I absolutely needed it. Maybe I'll give it a chance if I go there again, but I'm still not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! Aw, you should give this one a chance. I'm sure you've worked with fussier polishes before. (which does not sound like a ringing endorsement for most polishes, but it IS an endorsement for this white)

      Delete
  3. I love how delicate this is :) I'm sloooooowly acquiring my picks from Avant Garden. I bought Snap My Dragon when the collex first came out and since then (over almost a year), I've acquired Mimosas Before Manis, Fancy Pants, and Keep Calm, Paint On. That collection was so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, Ali. Snap My Dragon was the last Avant Garden I've acquired! I thought it was too close to an OPI Minnie polish from 2012, but I got it anyway. :)

      Delete
  4. I've been yo-yoing about whether or not to buy this. I love the way it looks (amazing brush job btw, I never would have guessed it had a wonky brush), but to be honest I'm a little...intimidated...by whites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ginger! I recommend it if you have extreme patience (which I do, unless it's related to food). It's more opaque than some other white shimmers I've seen, even if it IS off-white -- just make sure the brush is good!

      Delete
  5. I agree - it's nearly impossible for pastel/white two-coaters. It's a sad fact, but a fact nonetheless!

    I'd love to see a City Flourish polish from you - I've seen terrible reviews elsewhere online, but you have similar views as me on lots of polish stuff so I'd like to hear from you! There's a few colors that are calling my name, but I'll resist if the formulas are really THAT terrible, but I think maybe people are just exaggerating).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so, I have 8 of them and honestly, the formulas are NOT THAT BAD. They're good in three coats for the super pastels, and two for the less white-based. I would describe my polish application skills as "eh" and I had no problems with them outside of the usual pastel issues.

      Delete
    2. Hey, Ashley -- gonna piggyback on what Madeline said here. After wearing Lotus Begin for 2 days now, I would compare the formula and application to the Sunsational cremes from last summer: a little fussy, but work carefully and the color payoff is SO. WORTH. IT.

      Delete
  6. I would love to have that polish in my collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's definitely worth the effort. :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.