Friday, March 28, 2014

Essie Armed and Ready: That lamp doesn't have a family!

First off, group high five because we made it to Friday! YASSSSSSSSSSSS. This week crawled by slower than a six-month-old who cannot get the hang of it ... but we're here! I might have celebrated by sleeping in, so today's post is gonna be one of those "late lunch o'clock" posts. But you know what else?

If you thought, "Well, Rachel hasn't posted about a TV show in a while," then four for you, Glen Coco, because there is in fact a show I wanted to put out there: the half-hour comedy "Enlisted," which is on FOX tonight at 9 (just before "Raising Hope"). I have a sinking feeling it's going to get cancelled because we are allowed only so many nice things -- also, moving it to a different time slot cannot possibly be helping -- but I really love the show, and I'm thinking some of you might, too! It fills the hole in my heart left by "Ben and Kate," another ill-fated comedy.

If you liked "Stripes," "M*A*S*H*" (the show) or "Scrubs," then you'll really enjoy this. "Enlisted" is about three soldier brothers who are part of a rear detachment unit in Florida, with the oldest, Pete (played by Geoff Stults), having come back from Afghanistan and struggling to readjust to life out of combat. OBJECTIVELY SPEAKING, los hermanos Hill are not bad to look at.





Also, KEITH FREAKIN' DAVID (!!!) plays the Sergeant Major. He is great. (But when is he NOT?) The other members of Pete's platoon are played by comedians and actors you might recognize from other TV shows, including PFC Mort Gumble = Parker the intern on "The Mindy Project," SPC Chubowski = Patsy on "Getting On," and PFC Dobkiss = Sweet Dee's rapper boyfriend Lil Kevin on "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

I can't tell you about the accuracy the minutiae of life on a military base as depicted on "Enlisted,"1 but overall, it's very touching and gets so much right. Although neither the show's creator nor its executive producer served in the military, the former came from a military family. Every production title card shown at the end of each episode features a photo of the showrunners' relatives who have served. (However, they hope to be allowed to use actual photos of enlisted soldiers in the future.)

I actually ended up watching the episodes out of order (Episode Four was aired wayyyyy out of order), so the first episode I saw was "Pete's Airstream," the third episode. But the next episode I streamed was the one that made me a full-on "Enlisted" stan: Episode 2, "Randy Get Your Gun," in which the youngest Hill brother, Randy, fails his marksmanship test and middle brother Derrick has to help him. P.S., I never watched "Veronica Mars" (I'm sorry, Madeline), but apparently Derrick = Piz.2

Enter Essie Armed and Ready, the perfect polish to highlight what is still my favorite "Enlisted" episode. I know I featured it in my Oct. 2012 Horatio Hornblower extravaganza, but here are some better photos:




Three coats with SV.











I had to go full-on OttLite with this polish, because it would NOT photograph in natural light AT ALL. But the extra effort was worth it! Look how beautiful. I have to say that I didn't think the shimmer showed up as vividly on the nail as it does in the bottle -- at least, not in low light. However, I do think it adds a little more ... dimension? If you're into military and olive green polishes, this one is for you. The formula is perfect and opaque in two coats.

I'm not totally sure if this is still a core polish, since it was released in the spring of 2012 in the three-piece Go Overboard collection. That collection also gave us Go Overboard (obviously) and Play Date, both of which still are in core Essie displays ... so I'm guessing that Armed and Ready might be, as well. Don't quote me on this. I DO know it's easy to find online, though, so maybe if you need something to add to an e-tailer order, you could add Armed and Ready. I've owned a fair amount of olive and military greens, and I can see myself taking this with me if I had to be away from home for a while. :) It's that good.

To get back to "Enlisted" and "Randy Get Your Gun," here is what killed me the most about the episode, Derrick attempting to desensitize his little brother by having him describe "Toy Story 3":


(source: I saved this a while back and don't remember. HALP!!!!)


I was howling. I still quote "THAT LAMP DOESN'T HAVE A FAMILY!" to, um, myself ... because I know only TWO other people who watch this. Apart from the Randy stuff, though, there was an equally hysterical storyline with Pete and another sergeant competing for the marksmanship trophy, but I won't get into that. You'll just have to watch the episode for yourself, and HEY, if you're in the U.S., you can watch it on the official site, where it's available for the next 64 days -- you have no excuse.: http://www.fox.com/watch/114985027714

The show is being moved from its terrible Friday night time slot to another night and time that is yet TBD. I'll keep you posted when I find out more! Until then, you can follow and tweet with the show's cast and crew on Twitter -- the showrunners are particularly wonderful to interact with (the exec. producer has replied to a couple of my tweets in the past). It's so obvious when people sincerely love what they've worked on, and I get those vibes from that show. It would be a shame for it to go away because I would hate to end my time with the Rear D after only one season!

All righty, that is all for me this week. I hope you enjoyed everything I've blogged this week! It was a challenge to have content five days a week for two consecutive weeks, but again, it's Friday, we did it, and now it's time to kick back and catch up on some other shows. I'll see you on Tuesday -- let me know what you think of Armed and Ready and "Enlisted"! Seriously, watch it. You'll be begging to join Randy's Hug Club. I know I am.



1Apparently the pilot was rife with errors, but after hiring a military entertainment consultant, things have been improving. Still wondering about hair lengths, though.
2Apparently this Piz character is a highly divisive one???, especially to people who ship Veronica with some tool named Logan. IDK if Logan actually is a tool, he just kind of seems like one.

10 comments:

  1. This is such a gorgeous color and it's nice that the shimmer isn't hidden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! Sometimes in low light, I can't tell it's there, but I'm OK with that.

      Delete
  2. I'm a fellow Enlisted stan and reading this week that it's being pulled indefinitely hurt my heart. I've been a Chris Lowell fan since his first series role on a shirt lives show Life As We Know It, which was actually good, in spite of having Kelly Osbourne as a co-star. I've watched just about everything he's been in and this show deserves better than the shitty time slot Fox gave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this really doesn't bode well for the show. :( I feel like everyone who does watch it, from TV critics to even the Army Times, really loves it. It's one of the first shows I've enjoyed in a while with distinctive/recognizable incidental music. I don't know why I felt like I had to make that point, but there you go.

      And HAHAHAHA, "Life As We Know It" ... I never watched it, but I remember the PR images and going, "Kelly ... Osbourne?"

      Delete
  3. We need to have WORDS about how you have never seen "Veronica Mars." However, I will not subject you to my half-hour long diatribe about how Piz, while wonderful, is NOT RIGHT for Veronica and Logan totally is. LoVe 4eva.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, Enlisted! I love that show (and am also convinced it's going to get cancelled). The guy who plays Piz is always so…smug? Pompous? Something is really obnoxious about his demeanor (and made Piz insufferable for me), but he doesn't bother me that much on Enlisted. I hope it survives to season 2 :(


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I COMPLETELY understand what you're saying about his demeanor being obnoxious to you! I gotta say, though, the "Enlisted" episode with their vet doppelgangers was a thing of beauty, and wouldn't have been the same if he'd acted any other way.

      If it doesn't survive for a second season, I'm gonna need DVDs.

      Delete
  5. I always forget how gorgeous Armed & Ready is!
    Also, Geoff Stults. Oh man.He's so good-looking. I loved his show that got cancelled-The Finder. It was a spinoff from Bones but it was quite entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I never was into him until "Ben and Kate," and then I was like, "OH HEYYYYYY." I didn't watch "The Finder," but I remember Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP) being on it.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.