Monday, March 17, 2014

Nordstrom Shimmering Shamrock

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Nope, I didn't wake up this morning to gold coins outside my door (if anyone wants to come do that, I won't stop you) ... although I did wake up to some snow and a wee bit of sleet. Thankfully, there isn't two feet of it, but juuuuuuust enough to make things difficult for some of the mountain dwellers around here. Oh, and I'm sick again! (What the fuck.) So nope, there will be no Guinness and debauchery in my immediate future. That's fine. It's not like I'm 23 any more.

Anyhoo, I thought about showcasing a true emerald shade today, similar to the one I blogged last year. Ultimately I decided against it, because that would have meant I'd have to wait another year to blog this polish, and ... I really couldn't have that -- I don't know what next year is going to be like, so I want to blog as much as I can right now!

I also don't know exactly when Nordstrom launched its own house line of polish, but I first laid eyes on it last April, in a sizeable display close to where cosmetics keeps its butter LONDON and Deborah Lippmann stock. I don't remember much about the other colors, except that they seemed kind of generic to me. As I've often said, after collecting for the better part of 5+ years, a polish seriously needs to wow me for me to take it home. That day, I'd already scooped up two Chanels and a Dior mini duo, so I permitted myself juuuuuuuuust one Nordies polish, the idea being that (1) I could always go back for more if I liked it, and (2) it had to be different from polishes I might already own.

Nearly a year later, I'm still not sure the Nordies core colors are all that unique to me. However, I definitely made the right choice in choosing to take home Shimmering Shamrock.




Three coats with NYC Grand Central Station.










I'll be honest, Shimmering Shamrock's finish is something between a pearl and a frost, and therefore it is not going to be for everyone. And that's fine, because that means more for me! --Take note, this is coming from the girl who ranks Essie Beach Bum Blu and Rescue Beauty Lounge Moxie among her favorite polishes of all time, so it would only make sense for me to be as in love with Shimmering Shamrock as I am. Don't be fooled by the gold shimmer -- this is cooler in tone than it might seem in the bottle.

Its formula was really good! It wasn't super thick, but it wasn't painfully watery either -- it was just right. I only needed two coats to achieve opacity and bottle color, but I added a third coat anyway, and it was perfect. If you work carefully and wait in between coats, you won't have brush strokes. Dry time was pretty fast with GCS. I wore this on Saturday and removed it on Sunday; it lasted the whole day without any chipping or tip wear. Color me impressed.

Nordstrom polishes retail for $8.50 online and in stores. Additionally, the house deal allows you to buy two polishes for $15, so that's something you can look into if you're interested in trying more than one. As I said, Shimmering Shamrock is the only Nordies polish I've tried so far. There were only twenty-something colors in the line last year, but I think it's expanded to 42 colors now. I don't know, though. I can't really afford to hit up Nordies for much more than a limited edition Dior, Chanel, and the occasional Lippmann/YSL/Lancome/etc., so $8.50 for a house brand that isn't Ulta seems kind of "thank you, but no" to me right now. However, 3 American Apparels for $15? All Dov Charney issues aside, yeah, I can work with that. (Note: I hope to blog some new-ish AAs this spring! Also, the Ulta house polishes are really good, jsyk.)

Wow, okay, I did not mean to get into a thing about polish and $$$. But I think you get the idea. All right, any thoughts on Shimmering Shamrock? Nordstrom polish? House brands and their price points? Will you be wearing green polish today, or consuming green-colored food and drink?

Thanks for reading! If time allows, I'll have posts every day this week; if not, there WILL be posts on Wednesday and Friday, including Skinny Dipping on Wednesday. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.