Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Skinny Dipping (With Friends): OPI Don't Burst My Bubble + OPI Lights of Emerald City

Since Anna and I wanted to blog St. Paddy's greens on Monday, we moved Skinny Dipping back to today.

I had a lot of nude polishes I wanted to blog, but I picked these OPI Oz ones from last spring because the OPI Muppets Most Wanted collection is now upon us. If that movie flops as hard as that collection, YIKES. See, for the most part (we're talking 90% of the time) when a movie launches tie-in products, it sucks. I can't even sugar coat that. Sure, I've been wrong a few times -- "Skyfall" was one of my favorite movies of 2012, and the fourth "Shrek" movie, while unnecessary, was way better than the third one -- but I like to think I have a pretty good instinct about these things.

Back in January, I had the urge to watch a bad movie. It had to so bad there was no way it could be good, and it had to be something I had never seen before, so I put on my coat and boots and picked out "Oz: The Great and Powerful" at a Redbox kiosk. That movie ticked too many of my boxes. Scathing reviews, SO much CGI, an annoying character played by Zach Braff, James Franco's vacant expressions ... this was going to be shit. And it was, which made me sad. I am here for a movie with Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz, and Michelle Williams, especially as WITCHES, but I'm just disappointed it had to be *this* one.

Weirdly enough, OPI decided to make their annual Soft Shades collection an "Oz" tie-in last year; on the heels of the OPI NYC Ballets, they were nice enough to include three lovely milky, buildable sheers in the "Oz" collection. Don't Burst My Bubble is the one I wanted the most, so I was super excited when this arrived last fall in a package from Janice. (Thank you!!!)




Four coats with SV. Ordinarily I would have stopped at three, but my nails were so long (for me) and there was enough VNL that it bothered me.








The only reason I wanted this one is because I thought this would be more flattering on me than Glints of Glinda. I really liked the formula and application on this one -- basically, if you have any of the OPI NYC Ballets, then you know the drill: sheer, but easily buildable, etc., etc. I mean, if OPI wants to continue weird tie-in collections with perfect milky sheers, then maybe I should check out the pink one in OPI Muppets Most Wanted. Opinions?

Oh, and then I figured out my swatch sesh would be as good a time as any to try OPI Lights of Emerald City. This doesn't look like it would be my thing, but (1) SQUARE GLITTER!, and (2) my Twitter pal Amanda had it on one of her blog sales last year, so I was happy to take it off her hands.




Two coats of Lights of Emerald City, dabbed on as needed and topped with NYC Grand Central Station.








The formula on this was a giant PITA, but I am in luuuuuuuurve with the results. I didn't think I would like the white matte glitter pieces, but strangely, I do! I think it's probably because it's square glitter (my favorite); had it been hex-shaped, I would be pretty ambivalent. Again, you really have to fish for those white pieces in the bottle and then dab them on. And you have to be verrrrrrry patient if your base polish is a PITA because there will be bubbles galore. I waited until the SV had dried over Don't Burst My Bubble before applying Lights of Emerald City, and worked very carefully -- no bubbles, just gorgeousness.

Since this was just a swatch for the blog (feel special? You should!), I haven't actually tried it "in the wild." I would love to, though. I might actually do it in a few weeks. I bet this manicure would get me a crapton of compliments -- not that that's a reason to do something, but hey.

If you're interested in picking up either or both of these OPI Oz goodies, check beauty supply stores and online. They're really easy to find, so go for it! You can't go wrong with these OPI buildable sheers ... they're perfect for any season, any time, any where -- especially now that we're on the cusp of spring and summer.

That's it for this installment of Skinny Dipping! What do you think of this layering combination? Square glitter? What are your opinions on tie-in products, and what's been your favorite thing to come out of either? I'm currently on the hunt for the Revlon Electric Chromes for Spidey 2 ... holy God, I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED THEMMMMMMMMM.

Thanks for reading! I'll have another nude polish for you next month, but you can check out Anna's pick on Mitten State Prepster today. I'll also have another post tomorrow, so come back for that, k?

8 comments:

  1. *drools*

    Which Revlons do you want? There's a full display at Meijer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm going to text you in a second. Hang on. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this combo! Both polishes are gorgeous together. I had no idea about the Revlon Spider-Man collection but that's super cool! I love that movie and can't wait to see the new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! LacqLustre just posted some swatches yesterday and I guarantee that if you like glass flecks, you'll want the whole thing.

      Delete
  3. I have I Theodora You and love pairing that with Lights of Emerald City :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I bet that's gorgeous! I was kind of interested in Theodora ... that's a nice pink.

      Delete
  4. Looks lovely! I usually want the Soft Shades 6 months to a year after they come out...these two have been on my wishlist as of a month ago. The only Muppet polish that looks promising is the pink glitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ginger! Yes, I was coveting that pink/gold shard glitter, too! But now I'm kind of intrigued by Miss Piggy's Big Number ...

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.