Friday, April 11, 2014

Shopping My Stash: That rainy day is here

After this winter, I imagine Steff and I aren't the only ones who are ready for spring. --Let me be clear: I actually hate spring because my allergies have a terrible way of ruining everything (I couldn't go to work yesterday or today because I can't stop coughing :/). But this winter was brutal, so I'm not opposed to the idea of warmer days ahead.

With spring on the brain, Steff picked our Shopping My Stash theme: April showers. I think my response was to text her back with "BAMBI!!!!!" And then I immediately started humming this:




There are many covers of this song, although Mel Tormé's is one of my favorites. But Mel generally is one of my favorites.

I knew right away that I would use Illamasqua Raindrops for this theme. Oh sure, I have many polishes with names that refer to rainy days, but none of them were as untried or as old as this one. And to be honest, I don't know why I waited so long to put on Raindrops.




Three coats with SV.








Isn't this beautiful? I adore light greys, but they don't always play well on me. I'm happy to say that Raindrops does -- and those tiny silvery/white flecks are a bonus, to boot! They really shine with that jelly base. As far as application goes, this one is quite sheer on the first coat, but it builds up nicely at three coats, which is to be expected of anything jelly-based. I promise it's worth it. 

The best thing about this polish is nothing you haven't already heard before: It looks exactly like what it's named for, raindrops falling down a window. (A Seattle monorail window, to be exact! Also, OMG, I love Seattle.) Back in 2010, Illamasqua had a contest asking the entrants to provide a photo and a 50-word description of their dream color. There were over 6,000 entries; instead of choosing two winners, as originally intended, Illamasqua chose three. Raindrops was the most popular among those three polishes then, and I think it's safe to say it's still the most popular one now. Raindrops even inspired a pink version which was not quite as successful, IMHO. Anyway, this was discontinued for a while and went for crazy prices on blog sales and eBay, but the good news is that it's core now at Sephora and Bloomingdale's, where Illamasqua now retails for $17. It was $14 back in 2011 when I ordered it ... I either got it from Sephora or directly from Illamasqua, back when they still shipped polish to the U.S. (I don't believe they do that any more).

Any thoughts on Raindrops? Did you get it back in its heyday? If not, would you consider getting it now? And since we're on the subject of springtimes, my friend Courtney (formerly of the blog Polished Casual) posted this to my Facebook wall recently. It is so accurate:


(source: lolsnaps.com)


I guess as the song says, just keep looking for the bluebird.

This is all for me today. Don't forget to visit Short 'n Chic to see Steff's April showers pick! Hers definitely is older than mine, but it's one of my favorite polishes. Oh, and if you think you know what next month's theme is, you're probably right. ;) In the meantime, enjoy my favorite remix of my favorite song about rain. Usually this song sounds almost like a melancholy dirge, but this Koop remix completely changes its mood. Just take my word for it ... it's the best.




Thanks for reading! Have a good weekend, and the Zoya posts will resume next week. See ya then!

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE this color. I'm buying it for myself for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSSSSSSSSS and you will love it! :D

      Delete
  2. This is gorgeous! I've heard so many great things about it. Maybe someday I'll get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! Definitely pounce on it -- I don't think it's going away any time soon, but it's worth it anyway. :)

      Delete
  3. Raindrops is one of my favorites. Looks amazing on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I NOT know that Raindrops is core now?! I love everything about it - the name, the inspiration, the colorrrrrrrr (which looks fab on you, by the way). I need to buy this, stat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was coming back, but I didn't know when! I'm glad I Googled it to check. :D Thanks, Ashley! You'll love it.

      Delete
  5. This is hands down in my top favorites of all time. It was one of the first set of Illamasqua polishes I got for review back in the day and it is still one of the prettiest polishes I've ever owned. Lurve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if I'm responding to L or A, but either way ... you gals are responsible for more than a few of my Illamasqua lemmings! Jusssssssst so you know. ;) <3

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.