Thursday, April 10, 2014

Rescue Beauty Lounge Yellow Fever

Remember that time I was bitching about waiting forever to get a Weezer ticket?

... I got one! :D The show actually was last Thursday, but I figured you would want to see what I wore, and I could kick off the 2014 Stuff Concert Series (ha!).

I usually do a whole spiel about why I love a band as well as the significance of the polish I chose. However, if I have to explain why I love Weezer ... well, if you were alive in the '90s, I shouldn't have to! And if I have to explain why RBL Yellow Fever, then I'm going to assume you have never listened to "Pinkerton" once in your life. It's one of my favorite Weezer albums, one of my favorite '90s albums, and one of my favorite albums, PERIOD, but it's a little creepy.

You know what else is creepy? Being told by the guy who's checking IDs and slapping on 21+ wristbands that he likes your nails. I was like, "UHHHHHHHH THANKS" and practically ran for the lady scanning tickets, I was so weirded out. For some reason, I cannot deal with it when men compliment my nails. Women? Sure, no problem. Hell, I'll even tell you where I got it. Men, though?




I really don't think the guy meant anything by it, but I have to give him some credit. RBL Yellow Fever is probably my favorite yellow I've used so far.




Four coats with SV. Explanation after the photos.

You know, after going through my stash and looking for some polishes with surf pun names, I was set to wear Sinful Colors Beverly Hills, but I changed my mind because I wasn't feeling the color (or the song) AT ALL.









Now that we've had a minute to giggle over the name (which actually reminds me how much I want to watch "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle" this weekend), let's talk yellow. As we all know, yellow polishes are famous for having terrible formulas. I'm talking about neon yellow, light pastel yellow, and sunny, almost egg yolk yellows like Yellow Fever -- generally, yellow is not an easy color to work with, so I am not exaggerating when I say I gritted my teeth as I was applying this because I was dreading the worst.

I shouldn't have worried because Yellow Fever is old school RBL, and therefore it was pretty easy to apply. My mistake was trying to load too much polish on my brush for my first coat and not waiting long enough to apply a second; this led to slight patching that I had to cover up with a generous third coat. This third coat would have been the final coat of color if I hadn't noticed more patches on my right hand ... I could have let that go because that's not the hand we care about for photos, but at that point, I'm not sure what I was thinking. TL;DR: You only need three coats. Polish carefully. The formula actually reminded me a bit of some of the GOMMs, mostly Faraway, Abi and Santa Fe, all of which also contained a secret shimmer. I'm not sure how this compares to NARS Amchoor, formula-wise, but I can say that Yellow Fever was worlds easier to apply than Chanel Mimosa. Dry time was fast with SV, and I wore this with no chips and minimal tip wear for four days.

I got this bottle last November in the 50% off RBL sale, but you can pick it up on the RBL site for $18. I think they're doing free worldwide shipping this month, so you should jump on it if you have other RBLs on your list. I know a couple of weeks ago I said I don't love the brand as much as I used to, but in all honesty, this is a REALLY good yellow.

And with the nice weather at the end of last week, this color was a lot of fun to have on my nails. I even might be a little guilty of looking at my nails a couple of times at the show during the opening act! (Whoops.)

You know how sometimes you go to a concert and while you didn't have a bad time, you were so caught up in feeling weird or crappy beforehand that you didn't get to enjoy it as much as you wanted to? That's how I felt. The show was a lot of fun, and I basically live for concerts that are 1500 people doing a group singalong, but I didn't get to the venue early enough to find a good vantage spot, which put a damper on my evening. I'm sure I've said this before: I love tall dudes, but sometimes I want to kill them when I'm at shows that are SRO because I did not pay $40 to look their fucking shoulders for two hours or have their beer slosh on me. (Some guy next to me actually did drop a beer that DID slosh all over my left leg and shoe, but he apologized profusely and moved, presumably out of embarrassment.)


"My Name is Jonas"


I also was cranky that day because the past 24 hours had been a total clusterfuck, BUT! I survived, I got to pick up an epic poster, I can scratch one of my favorite '90s bands off my bucket list, and now I can start saving to go on a Weezer cruise. (Yes, they do a cruise every year; the 2014 cruise was two months ago, in February.)

BTW, here's the set list and here's the Vyclone video of "Surf Wax America" from the show I went to:




I think the best thing that came about that night was confirmation that Brian Bell is indeed an ageless beauty. Sigh. (I had the mandatory 5-minute teenage crush on Rivers, but I quickly saw the error of my ways, i.e., I really listened to "Pinkerton" and BYE, FELICIA.) Scott and Pat sang some songs too, including a cover of Blur's "Song 2," and at the end of the show, all four of the guys picked up some sticks and got on the drums.





The other best thing about that night was confirmation that "Buddy Holly" has the power to cheer me up about almost anything. That was the last song of the night, and I was sorry it had to end just as I was starting to chill out and have fun. (Isn't that always the way?) Ah, well. The last time Weezer was anywhere around me, they were playing a chili festival in D.C. in 2011, but I'd already made plans to attend my friend's wedding that day, so despite my initial bad mood, I'm thrilled I was able to see them this time. Barring any changes in the job field and/or my marital status, I think I'm going to make my 30th birthday present to myself either a Weezer cruise or a Prairie Home Companion cruise ... which leaves me with a little over two years to start saving.

Aaaaaaaanyway, what do you guys think of RBL Yellow Fever? If you have a favorite yellow or have one to recommend to me, please share it in the comments! (Next up for examination: NARS Amchoor.) Are there any other Weezer fans in the house? I have to say, "The Blue Album" and "Pinkerton" are the strongest ones, but I have a soft spot in my heart for "The Green Album." What's your favorite Weezer song?

I've posted this before, but this is my favorite Weezer music video:




MUPPETS! <3

Thanks for reading! My next concert post will be in June (maybe the end of May if I decide to get tickets for some other things), but while you wait, the April edition of Shopping My Stash goes up tomorrow. I'm pretty excited. :)

8 comments:

  1. DEAD @ this being your choice for Weezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't feeling any of my other options. But for real, this is why we're friends. Or something.

      Delete
  2. This is an awesome yellow! I love how bright it is. The only yellow I have that is close to being this bright is Revlon Electric, which I've worn about twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! You know, I have Electric, too, but I haven't tried it yet ...

      Delete
  3. I saw Weezer a couple weeks ago at Universal Studios (for free since I have a season pass) and matched my nails to the color of their Green album. Then my boyfriend pointed out that my toes matched the Blue album cover (happy accident). I wore Sinful Colors Innocent :)
    I like your choice as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool! And for free? Even better! Dude, SC Innocent and The Green Album are awesome. :D

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love Weezer! My mom used to work with Pat's mom, near Buffalo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so crazy! (And so cool.) But it's a much better claim to fame than an ex-roommate's mom (she worked with Chris Brown's mom once).

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.