Friday, April 25, 2014

Worthy of a palace: Zoya Goldie

Friday, at last! There were a couple of points this week that had me doubtful I would make it -- namely, my parents completely freaking me out and suggesting that I might maybe PERHAPS have whooping cough (ohmygod.) (I went and got a Tdap booster shot yesterday *just in case*) -- so yeah, I'm over it. Additionally, it was a very sad, somber week at work, and I'm looking forward to some frivolity this weekend.

The frivolity starts with this polish. (Shhhh, I'm actually not wearing it this weekend ... I actually have no idea what I'm wearing this weekend ...) Anyway, if you've been reading my blog for the last two summers, then you know about my weakness for gold polishes. As it happens, Zoya has made some seriously amazing golds. But I'll be honest: Because of its finish, I'm not sure if Zoya Goldie will make your heart go pitter-patter. Feeling adventurous, I ordered my bottle in the 2012 Zoya exchange; from the minute I saw Goldie, I knew I would love it.

Did you guys ever read Bridge to Terabithia when you were in grade school? (Or maybe you watched the movie -- which, let me say, Zooey Deschanel as Ms. Edmunds = PERFECT. She should do more stuff like that, IMHO.) In one chapter, Jess goes over to his new friend Leslie's house to help her and her parents paint their new living room a brilliant shade of gold. When the sun sets, they sit and marvel as the sunlight dapples over the golden walls, which Leslie says is worthy of a palace.

Wow, sorry. I did not mean for that to sound like an RBL press release. (No shade! Okay, maybe a little.) My point is, I always thought that gold would be an incredible color. Fast forward to me pulling Zoya Goldie out of my exchange box in 2012 and being waaaaaaaaay too excited because it is, to me, the Golden Room in a polish.




Three coats with Cult Nails Wicked Fast.








What do you think, would Goldie be worthy of a palace? I don't know that I would paint my living room in this -- I'd probably do gold accents, if anything -- but I LOVE it. As Scrangie said, this color is not for the faint of heart, while Michelle at ALU said there is no middle of the road with this polish, because you either love it or hate it. They were not kidding! As gold polishes go, I don't think I have anything like this. The closest thing I can think of is the original a-england Holy Grail, which is similar in finish, only in a cooler yellow. Goldie leans quite warm. You know, I bet it would look sick with a tan.

Again, I can see how people might not care for its finish. I wouldn't say it's frosty or pearly, but it's in a neighboring area. And when you put it on, you're gonna need three coats. It seems sheer on the first coat, but it builds up to opacity. If you're careful, you won't have brushstrokes. Dry time was good with Wicked Fast.

Goldie is from Zoya's Ooh La La collection from Summer '09, which gave us two of my other favorite Zoyas, Tallulah and Midori. Without a promo, it's $9 -- I couldn't honestly recommend that you buy it at full retail, but at $4.50, it's certainly worth a try!

I'll wait until Sunday night to place my Zoya order and make any final decisions. (Thank you to those of you who left comments in my last post with suggestions!) But if you placed your Zoya exchange orders already, what did you get? If you haven't, would you consider Goldie, or is it too much for you? --Ugh, I love gold so much. If I ever get married, you better believe it will be EVERYWHERE, that's how much I love it. (My alma mater's colors are black and gold, yay!) I can't wait to share more awesome gold polishes on this blog in the coming weeks of summer!

Speaking of sharing and blog posts: Y'all, I'm still so bummed I was unable to post more Zoya polishes this month! Apparently my immune system had other ideas about to how to fill my time. :/ Hopefully, though, you've liked what I've been able to share with you! Thank you for reading, and thank you for your patience. It's appreciated! I should be back at full speed shortly -- just give me a few more days.


P.S. I don't have pertussis. Yay!

P.P.S. Aisha Tyler does an apologia bit at the end of her "Girl on Guy" podcast. In that spirit, I am sorry if you have never read Bridge to Terabithia (do it! It's wonderful). I'm sorry I mentioned Zooey Deschanel if you hate her (I like her in small doses; her role in the "Bridge to Terabithia" film was a more grown-up take on her usual MPDG. The book took place in the '70s, and although the movie was set in modern day, ZD easily could have played Ms. Edmunds if the movie also had been set in the '70s). Lastly, I am sorry that I am not entirely sorry about the RBL dig in this post -- I really don't need a trailer to sell me a nail polish. If it's good or I'm curious enough and I can afford it, I'll get it. That is all.

5 comments:

  1. That color is definitely intense, and it's so awesome that you pull it off! You don't have to apologize for liking the things you like though, and I thought the RBL joke was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For every coral and pale purple I can't wear, there's a completely weird gold with my name on it. :)

      Seriously, though, those press releases are OUT. OF. CONTROL. I can't.

      Delete
  2. WOW, DON'T EVEN TALK TO ME ABOUT BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA. I GOTTA GO CRY NOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already getting the tissues out over here.

      Delete
    2. After the dead dog books my school read in 3rd grade, came the dead friend books in 4th grade. I was destroyed looooooong before I even got to this one, probably from "Where the Red Fern Grows" + "Sounder."

      Looking back, DAMN. I can't believe I read this stuff at 7 and 8.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.