Monday, April 14, 2014

Zoya Raven + Revlon 1000 Volts

I feel like I've been saying this forever, but I got sick the morning after the Weezer concert (spring, I want to love you, but dem allergies, GODDAMN). Like, it-is-basically-a-miracle-that-I-went-to-see-"Winter Soldier"-and-went-to-work-for-3-days sick. I'm behind on blog stuff, so this post got moved up for today because I wanted to post something.

And I know, I know, black ... for spring? Normally, I'd agree with you, only I've been seeing black manicures everywhere -- on women at work, on random bloggers, on women at the grocery store -- and I was starting to wonder if there was a memo I wasn't getting. But I didn't want to wear a true black creme, and I didn't want to try my new bottle of OPI 4 in the Morning, so Zoya Raven won out.

Raven looks like a black creme in dull and low light, but sometimes, you can coax out the fine silver shimmer and you get this:




Three coats with Cult Nails Wicked Fast.









Either way, I'm really into this polish. According to Janice, Raven is a dupe for Chanel Black Satin (hey look, Scrangie says so, too ... it's basically canon); Raven is superior as far as both cost and formula are concerned. I don't own the Chanel, but I have to agree -- I will take a $9 polish with a great formula over a $27 one that's iffy. (I must admit I prefer Dior polish to Chanel ... but that's not really the point here. Also: Remember when Zoya was $6?)

Raven's formula was typical of most Zoya cremes and shimmers, which is to say that although it might seem a little thicker than OPI/China Glaze/Orly/Essie, it's still very easy to work with. (I think this might be a resin thing? This happens to me sometimes with RBL shimmers.) Two coats are all you need for opacity, but I used three. Dry time was fast with my favorite Zoya top coat, Cult Nails Wicked Fast. I wore Raven on its own for four? five? days and I was completely smitten with it.

If you want this polish, it's $9 on the Zoya site, but I'd advise waiting for the Zoya Exchange so you can get it for half that. I cannot recommend it enough. If you are looking for a new black polish to add to your stash, get Raven. If you are too apprehensive about wearing a glossy black creme and you want a little somethin' extra, get Raven. If you do not want to pay for Chanel Black Satin, get Raven. If you missed out on the discontinued RBL Iconoclast, get Raven. (Note: Raven's shimmer is silver; Iconoclast's shimmer contained green and pink.)

Okay, so you know I think Raven is pretty great.

But you know what else is great? The new Revlon Electric Chromes, a.k.a. the Spider-Man 2 tie-in polishes, that's what. They should be widely available now, but I didn't find them immediately when they first came out, and I was so afraid I would miss them that I asked Anna if she could clean out her Meijer's display for me. She was a dear and was able to get me four colors, including 1000 Volts, which Steff blogged last week.

When T at LacqLustre swatched the Electric Chromes, she added some nail wheel swatches of those polishes over black to showcase the duochrome. I thought Gwen's Crush, Electrified Web, and 1000 Volts looked the most interesting over black, so I decided to try 1000 Volts over Raven. Shown below are 2 coats of 1000 Volts.







I tried to capture some of the green under the OttLite:



Over black, 1000 Volts reminded me A LOT of Peridot and its Peridupes, none of which I own. I had Peridot for a hot second until I realized I hated it on me, so I swapped it. Y'all, it is INSANE how much I love 1000 Volts over black. IIRC, Peridot was a straight up metallic chrome, so it looked kind of flat; the difference with 1000 Volts (and the rest of the Electric Chromes) is that it has more sparkle and glass fleck packed into its finish, which completely changes everything. I don't know if that made any sense to you, but I am all about it! Let's hope 1000 Volts looks as nice on its own as it does here over Raven ... I guess we'll find out next month. :)

I'm pretty interested to know what you guys think about Zoya Raven and/or this layering experiment. Did you get any of the Spidey polishes? What are your favorite black polishes? Is there a particular color you've been seeing a lot lately on others that you like?

Oh, and speaking of Ravens, obligatory:




I *think* Raven was throwing shade at Nicole Paige Brooks. (But let's be real, if you're reading this blog, you probably already read a bajillion other nail blogs and we all can agree that acrylic nails with white french tips are nope nope nope!) Raven was one of my faves from that season.

Moving on to a different Raven:


(source? Please tell me if it's yours!)


This .gif FTMFW. The first time I saw it was on ONTD right after "First Class" came out and I don't know who made it, but I still laugh like a hyena every time I see it. (Side note: Either "Days of Future Past" is going to be an epic win, or an epic fail. I can't decide which. There's too damn much going on already, so it better be like the first two "X-Men" movies and not like the third one, which I like to pretend did not happen. Considering what Bryan Singer's last two movies were and how they turned out, I'm a little scared.)

O-kay, I'm out. Thanks for reading, and HOPEFULLY I can get it together and have some other posts for you this week. These allergies are a nightmare. Between the antibiotics, Robitussin, Zyrtec, and ground ginger root tea, I am going to be SO FUCKING PISSED if I'm still sick this weekend.

4 comments:

  1. I'm wearing Russian Navy today, so I feel you on the darks for spring. I just can't quit.

    But 1000 Volts over Raven? DAAAAAAAYYYMN. So gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking about wearing Zoya Sailor this week (a polish I think you would be all about, btw)!

      :D Thank you, bb!

      Delete
  2. Loving the combo of Raven and 1000 volts! Raven is probably one of my favorite black polishes. It's got that little extra to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ali! Raven definitely is one of my favorite polishes in general, for sure. :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.