The idea to go through my white polishes was sparked a few months ago when Stephanie told me she was in the market for a good white polish, opaque in two coats and easy to work with. I said I had a few whites in my stash, and that this would be a good excuse to go through them. Why not, right?
So off we go, starting with butter LONDON Cotton Buds. I knew I was going to blog bL for at least one week this month, which is why I reached for this white first. SO GOOD, y'all. SO. GOOD.
Oh, and "cotton buds"? Q-tips, y'all. I don't think this slang is unique to Brits, but whatever.
Three coats with SV for these photos. I used the bL Hardwear P.D. Quick top coat when I actually wore this last month. A review of that top coat will come sometime this summer, promise!
At the end of yesterday's post, I said Cotton Buds was Top 20 material for me. So far, it's the best BLINDING, pure white creme I've ever used! Here's the breakdown.
- Formula & application: Cotton Buds was on the thick side, but it was really easy to work with. After you figure out how much polish to load on your brush, it's easy going from there. Wait at least two minutes in between coats to avoid pooling and flooding. NOTE: Amy's review on Gotham Polish mirrored mine in that the second coat covered up any patches and imperfections of the first coat. Read her post!
- Opacity: 2 coats, if you're careful. 2 coats never feels right to me, hence the third coat. I know no one wants a three-coat white, but I'd rather have three coats of a good white than three coats of an annoying streakfest, know what I'm saying?
- Wear: I wore this for four days using the bL Hardwear top coat. Barely visible tip wear on a couple of nails on my right (dominant) hand, plus one chip on the finger that always chips (right index). Some lifting on the corner of another finger when I scratched myself in the shower at the beginning of Day 3, but the polish stayed on and looked GOOD.
- Price: $15 USD on the official bL site and through any bL retailer. I got this bottle in March when Ulta had a 2 for $15 deal going for their 21 Days of Beauty.
- Year of release: 2013, late summer/early fall for the Colour Clash collection. (It might have been such a basic collection, but I loved the overall look of all the colors. I have the whole collection except for Cake Hole, which is too warm for me.)
- Number of compliments received: What? Don't tell me this isn't a thing. ;) Anyway, I lost count after three. I went to get an eyebrow wax while I was wearing this, and the receptionist at my salon lost her mind over it (my salon sells butter LONDON. Haha). And the lady at the Dillard's Dior counter was reeeeeeeeeally into it. So yeah, I would say this was a hit.
I know that was a lot of words for a white creme, but "concise" is not something I do well on this blog. In college, yep. At work, yep. Here ... heaven help me. That being said, I hope this post gave you enough background info on Cotton Buds to show you why I love it so much! And in case you're still not convinced, know this: I paid $7.50 for it, but with these results, I would have been happy to throw down the full $15.
That concludes my first White Hot Wednesday! As far as a schedule for WHW goes, I don't really have one. My only plan is to post these on random Wednesdays, which should keep us all on our toes. :) What do you think of bL Cotton Buds, this feature, or Mindy's ~diverse dating choices? Honestly, I can't rag on her too much, because my track record isn't exactly ... extensive. (I'm sure you were dying to know that, LMAO.)
Thanks for reading! Another bL polish will go up tomorrow, a polish I was surprised to like as much as I did. What is happening to me?!