Tuesday, May 20, 2014

butter LONDON Fiver + Cult Nails Walk of Shame

Guys, I am about to be so poor today. When this post goes up, I'll be getting ready to stop by the city treasurer's office to pay my personal property tax. :/

One thing nobody really tells you when you buy a new car is that the newer your car is, the higher your personal property tax will be. I mean, it makes sense. But this really never had occurred to me in happier times because my old car would have turned nine this year, and of course its value diminished with time. (Never in my heart, though.)

While I'm fixated on money, here's butter LONDON Fiver. Fiver is Brit slang for a five-pound note, which converts to somewhere around $8 USD and change, which in turn is a little more than what I paid for this polish a couple of months ago during Ulta's last 21 Days of Beauty 2 for $15 bL promo. I'm not sure why I added it to my cart, but here we are.




Three coats with SV.








Super pretty, and perfect for spring! As you can see, Fiver is a pale, icy mint green creme with blue undertones. I thought those blue tones made it a bit too stark for me -- it wasn't unflattering, but after coming down from Zoya Neely, I wasn't madly in love with it. If you're wondering how Fiver compares to Essie Mint Candy Apple, it's more green than Essie MCA. I'll have to try that one again and see which polish I'd rather keep.

I don't remember anything weird about the formula. I just know I used three coats to make it even. Although these photos were taken using SV as a top coat, I used my butter LONDON Hardwear P.D. Quick top coat for two days of chip- and tip-free wear.

Fiver was part of bL's Sweetie Shop collection for Spring 2013, and you can pick it up for $15 at any major retailer that sells the brand. I'm glad I didn't spend $15 on this, though -- thank goodness for promos! I scored my two other Sweetie Shop polishes, Cuppa and Fruit Machine, through similar promos; I have my eye on Jasper right now because I am really into yellow this spring.

After wearing Fiver for two days, I thought it would need a little something to keep from looking so stark. I remembered I was going to crash a dinner with my parents and their accountant -- he always notices when I do something obnoxious to my nails. --Keep in mind, what's normal to you and me is kind of obnoxious to a 70-something man with no kids. ;) I don't know. See for yourself!









For the record, my parents' accountant asked me what on earth I was wearing after maybe 20 minutes, while we were waiting for our salads. Ha.

This was two coats of Cult Nails Walk of Shame + NYC Grand Central Station. I liked how easily this Cult Nails glitter spread on the nail. It was a little more dense than I was expecting it to be, and it dried smoothly on the nail, which I also liked. The only thing I didn't like were the little holo microglitters scattered amongst the gold glitters. It was a little too busy for my vanilla tastes. I think I ordered this accidentally a couple of weeks ago when there was a code for 40% off on limited edition Cult Nails polishes ... I think I meant to put Feedback in my cart, but I was ordering on my phone in the car (I wasn't driving, don't flip!), and ... yeah. Anyway, Walk of Shame goes for $12 on the Cult Nails site, where they're offering 20% off on orders through the end of May, if you want to hop on that.

Welp, this is all for today. What do you think of Fiver? Is it one of your favorite mint greens? Does anyone think I need bL Jasper? And most importantly, what is your favorite plain gold glitter for layering? I need one, and I am taking suggestions!

Thanks for reading! I'll be back tomorrow with a bL polish I am so in love with, I can't even. It's Top 20 material, that's how much I love it!, so make sure to check it out tomorrow. :)

8 comments:

  1. Butter London Fiver is such a pretty color, definitely going on the wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it would look great on you. Hope you can scoop it up in a deal soon! :)

      Delete
  2. Walk of Shame really brings Fiver to life! I always love a dash of sparkle in my pastel manis :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ali! And same, I've been finding that I actually enjoy it more than I thought I would. (that's what she said) :)

      Delete
  3. I really like Dare to Wear's Queen of Drums to layer with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooooooh. I just looked it up on eBay, it looks great! Thanks for mentioning it. :D

      Delete
  4. I'd suggest Deborah Lippmann's Boom Boom Pow as a plain layering glitter. It's pricey, but it is the most used glitter in my stash. I love it to pieces. Loving Fiver on you! My go-to mint is MCA but Fiver may change my mind...I always felt MCA pulled too blue on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, I forgot all about this Lippmann. I'm sure I could find it on blog sales! Thanks bunches for the suggestion. :D

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.