Thursday, May 22, 2014

butter LONDON Teddy Girl: More punk rock than you think.

Can't believe it's Thursday already, whaaaaat. This week flew by, which was great for Real Life, but not so great for blogging because I keep getting home late from work. It happened last night, and I am so sleepy, I am dangerously close to faceplanting into the keyboard as I type.

I own far more pastel pink polishes than pastel pink clothes. In fact, the only piece of pastel pink clothing I have in my wardrobe is this Robocup t-shirt from Threadless. (NGL, I totally wore it to the drive-in when I saw the new "Robocop" movie in March. Ain't no shame in my game, friends.) Anyway, two years ago, I went through this phase where I decided I needed to find my perfect pastel pink polish. When Ulta had a BOGO free promo in another 21 Days of Beauty steal that happened to fall ON MY BIRTHDAY, I took it as a sign and got Teddy Girl.

While Teddy Girl is nice, I refuse to believe it's $14 nice -- bL was $14 until last year, remember? It was like how Illamasqua was $14 until fairly recently. What gives?




Three coats with SV for these swatches. I used my butter LONDON Hardwear P.D. Quick top coat for a quick wear test.








For $7, it's ... okay. It's a little high maintenance for me. --Granted, I'm saying this about a polish I painstakingly applied in bed, jittery from being hopped up on one liter of Mountain Dew when I decided to make it a full NOTD. Of course, when I swatched it sitting at the kitchen island for these photos, it was easier to apply. I did have to finagle the amount of polish I wanted on the brush at first. The formula was a little weird, not thick, but sort of watery. There was some streakage after waiting a few minutes in between coats, but it's manageable with a thick third coat and practically nonexistent if you use SV as your top coat. As you can see from my photos, the SV helped it self-level pretty quickly. I used the bL Hardwear top coat because I've been getting great wear with it, but most of my nails look janky right now because I have sheet marks on a few nails, plus I spilled some acetone on one nail. Sigh. My wear time on bL polishes with bL Hardwear is great, but that top coat takes for-freaking-ever to dry. It is definitely not a top coat you use before bed. The good news is that the other nails that are sheet mark-free still look pristine.

Now that I'm done bitching, I have to say that I LOVED this color on me, which is weird. I enjoy more saturated pinks, or pastels with a twist, and this is without a DOUBT the most frou-frou color I have ever put on my nails. Is this bubblegum pink? Is this baby pink? I don't know, but it looks good on me. I've had this on for two days now, and I've been wearing mostly navy, which really helps this pink pop. I'm digging it, but not enough to buy more pastel pink clothing! (Note: I didn't take any pictures, but in the bottle, Teddy Girl is warmer and paler than Essie Raise Awareness, Essie French Affair, and OPI Mod About You.)

Teddy Girl was released for bL's Spring 2011 collection. I want to say it was created exclusively for Victoria Beckham's S/S '11 runway show, but don't quote me on that. If you don't want to pony up $15 for this one, though, you can do a couple of things: (1) scour blog sales, or (2) wait for a bL promo from bL, Ulta, Nordstrom, or Macy's. The only reason I have as many bL polishes as I do is because I scored some great promos over the years.

Like I said, this color is the foofiest polish I've ever tried. It's good every once in a while, but for the most part, I'll stick to my edgier pale pinks! What do you think? Do you wear a lot of pastel pink, in polish or clothes, or is not really your style? It's more of an accent color to me, tbh.

Oh, and a note about its name: I never bothered to look up the phrase "teddy girl" or "teddy boy" until a couple of months ago. B and I were getting ready to go out, and he had the TV on while he was waiting for me to shower and get dressed. When I came out, I noticed he was watching some BBC thing on the Beatles' early years. I heard one interview subject describe a teenage John Lennon as a "teddy boy." A quick Google search led me to this Buzzfeed piece on teddy boys and teddy girls. (Mea culpa, y'all. I have a love/hate relationship with Buzzfeed's excuses for .gif posts and quizzes, but I enjoy pieces like this and their "longform" TV/pop culture articles.) It is INSANE to think that this all started with young people dressing to imitate Edwardian fashion, which evolved into the more well-known rockabilly, then glam rock, new wave, and punk looks and/or subcultures. For teddy girls, sometimes called "Judies," the appeal of the Edwardian look was their way of going against the ultra-feminine fashions of the '50s. These ladies might have looked like they belonged on country estates, but apparently a few of them were more than capable of fucking shit UP. (Aaaaaaaand suddenly, this song makes SO MUCH SENSE.) I do find it funny that this foofy pink sort of epitomizes the feminine ideal they were trying to counter. But basically, this color is fashion., and perfectly suited for use by Posh Spice.

There, now I've educated us. I can sleep now. ;) Thanks for reading! Come back tomorrow so we can wrap up this week of bL polish. Tomorrow's polish might be my second favorite among this week's posts.

4 comments:

  1. This is a very pretty shade of pink! I've been liking pinks a lot more and this one looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! Same here. I think I've caught Anna's pink fever. o__O

      Delete
  2. I think Teddy Girl looks fab on you! I have also weirdly been into trying to find the perfect pale pink lately, even though I am NOT a pale pink person. (Also, I just got way too excited when you linked to that Pipettes song…)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Ashley! LOL @ the Pipettes, I heard one of their songs while I was in LA and I was like, "What is this INEEDIT!!!!"

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.