Friday, May 30, 2014

OPI Damone Roberts 1968

Guess who's back?

As Tupac once said, drop the drums, here it comes, only got two minutes to bounce, and every second counts. 

I thought about saving this post for Monday until it occurred to me that today might be payday not only for me, but also for some of you guys. So before your hard-earned dollars go to bills, maybe you can squirrel away $20 for the second re-release of one of the most elusive, sought-after cult OPIs, OPI Damone Roberts 1968.

If you read this blog and other nail blogs, then you know aaaaaaaaall about OPI DR1968 and the collector's frenzy surrounding this polish. According to Vampy Varnish, it will be on pre-order on Monday, June 2; there's even a page for it on the Damone Roberts web store, which is the only place that will sell it. There's a reason it sold out twice, once when it was released originally in 2009, and again in 2010, which is when I bought my bottle.




Three coats with SV.








People say this polish is universally flattering, and they are not lying. This shade of green was made to match the walls of the DR salon in New York. It's officially touted as "pistachio" more than mint, and I get that -- this green contains more yellow and brown. It's closer to jade than mint, I think, but I like that it mostly does its own thing.

The formula on this creme could not be more perfect. It's opaque in two coats. My bottle was starting to separate a little, but it was nothing rolling it around for a minute couldn't fix. This is basically a creme lover's dream! I can't say anything about wear time because even after all these years, I can't QUITE bring myself to wear it. I know. Somewhere Janice is like, "OMG WHAT?!" but it's true. It happens with some polishes, as I'm sure some of you know.

I have thick, weird eyebrows -- one grows and arches WAY more differently than the other -- so ever since I was a little girl, I've always wondered what it must be like to have a renowned EYEBROW PROFESSIONAL hook you up. At 27, I am lucky to have found an excellent local salon where I'm comfortable and happy with most of the aestheticians. And while getting my brows done once by someone as famous as Damone Roberts is still on my bucket list, I find that OPI DR1968 is a far more affordable way to remember this. :) Again, as of Monday, June 2, you can preorder this polish for $20 on the Damone Roberts site. Be lucky that you can order on the site -- when I ordered mine in 2010, I had to call the salon. And if your last name is as weird (or weirder) than mine, it was very trying.

Speaking of brows, I have to run -- I have an appointment this afternoon and I needed to be out of the house half an hour ago. I wasn't able to get any posts ready for next week, so don't be surprised if it's quiet around here on Stuff.  I'll do my best, but real life has been challenging lately.

As always, thanks for reading! I'll talk to you all again in June. :)

11 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for this polish to be re-released when someone wrote about the re-release a few months ago, but $20? Geez, that's quite the mark up, not sure if I'm going to get it now :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I was so ready to buy this, then they finally released the price. Nevermind, money saved.

      Delete
    2. Apparently it's $20 PLUS shipping. Yeah, I could buy a Dior for that. :/

      Delete
  2. It's super pretty, but I don't know if it's $20 pretty...

    I have some pretty uncooperative eyebrows too. I used to go to Bobbe Joy in Beverly Hills every month or so (oh those were the days) and she sort of trained my brow shape. Now all I have to do is trim them twice a week (they're weeds, I swear).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just commented below to Chelsea saying I bet you could franken this if you dropped some brown and yellow into a mint/jade green polish. $20 for an OPI, PLUS SHIPPING, as Ginkgo said below, is just too steep! :(

      I complain about my brows a lot, but you know, more than one aesthetician has told me that it's better to have them grow like weeds than have nothing, so ... I guess I won't?

      Delete
  3. $20? NOPE. It was normal prices when it was released the past two times, wasn't it?

    Not to brag, but I don't touch my eyebrows. They're pretty good on their own.

    P.S. Your eyebrows look great, so whatever you're doing is working for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear it was normal the last two times. But daaaaaaaaaamn, shit has gotten marked up in the past couple of years. Remember when Zoya was $7???? God.

      My eyebrows and I thank you! It is worth making Friday afternoon appointments to get with one of my aestheticians ... she's amazing.

      Delete
  4. Ugh, $20 is more than I thought it'd be but this is such a ridiculously perfect green that I just might shell out for it! You've got some gorgeous swatches of it here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lady! Means a lot coming from you :)

      If you'd rather not spend $20, I bet you could franken it by dropping some brown and yellow into a mint/jade green polish. Just sayin'.

      Delete
  5. I was all primed to buy it, until I got to the shipping charges - over $7 minimum price for USPS mailing of one bottle? Not gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, really? I didn't know shipping was that much. I don't remember how much I paid for mine back in the day, but I think it was well below $20 (shipping included). That's pretty ridiculous. :(

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.