Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Memorial Day Weekend nails: Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Perfectly Poppy

Happy Hump Day! It's Tuesday night as I'm writing this. I was supposed to be asleep two hours ago, but I don't know if I'm going to have time to blog this week, so here we go. 

This was my Memorial Day NOTWeekend. As you know, remembrance poppies are a huge deal in most parts of the Western world around this time of year. The poppy became the symbol of remembrance after the popularity of the poem "In Flanders Fields" written during World War I by John McCrae, a Canadian officer who also was a poet, author, and -- swoon -- physician. But it wasn't until 1921 that the remembrance poppy was adopted as a symbol here in the U.S., thanks to an American professor named Moina Michael who came up with the idea of selling silk poppies to help raise funds for disabled veterans. She was known as the "Poppy Lady," and even published her own poem called "We Shall Keep the Faith," which was inspired by "In Flanders Fields." Michael's poem didn't come to my attention this time last year until I noticed a verse printed on the back of my Netflix mailer, accompanied by an illustration of a giant poppy.


I love Netflix, and I love Netflix envelopes ... especially when I get to learn something.
See, there ARE benefits to being on a DVD plan! (besides a larger selection of stuff)


The idea of doing my own nail art continues to terrify me, so there'll be none of that for a while. However, I knew I had more than a few poppy reds in my stash, so I picked one to wear for the holiday weekend, and oh, Sally Hansen. Shut up and take my money.




Three coats with SV.








It's just too beautiful, isn't it? I can't believe I didn't buy this one IMMEDIATELY. I had three other shades from this collection, but I only got Perfectly Poppy in January, months after it came out, because Janice raved about this one last fall to the point where I had to hunt it down. (Here's her swatch.)

Perfectly Poppy is a tomato red jelly that reads pretty warm for a blue-toned red. At first I was daunted by how it seemed to appear like a brownish-red in the bottle, and it is SUPER warm on the first coat, but that goes away after two coats. I loved this, especially because I haven't worn a red creme since February-ish. 

Part of the reason Janice and other bloggers/IGers/YTers raved about this polish is because it is in fact a one-coat wonder. Seriously. If your brush isn't terrible, you could do one coat and be done with it. But I went with three, of course. The formula was awesome, dry time was fast, and wear time was great: 3 days with no chips or major tip wear. I was really happy.

If you've decided you need Perfectly Poppy now, you better get on it! This was released as early as last August for last fall's Rent the Runway designer collaboration with Sally Hansen. Perfectly Poppy was one of the Tracy Reese shades from that collection, which was limited edition so I'm not sure about how ETF it would be to find now. I did find Malbec, New Wave Blue, and a couple of other Rent the Runway shades at a janky CVS near my work last week, though, so don't lose hope!

Sadly, this is all I have time for today. I would have liked to continue heaping praise upon Perfectly Poppy, but not half as much as I would have liked to write about poppies and Memorial Day. I've always felt a little disconnected from the holiday because my family is not a military one (I recently -- last week! -- discovered that my dad was THIS CLOSE to joining when my sister was a baby), so it doesn't have quite the impact on us that it's had on the families of my military brat friends. --At least, not in this country, it didn't: My maternal grandfather, who died long before I was born, served in the U.S. military when the motherland was an American commonwealth. He survived the Bataan Death March, but that's another story for another day.

Thanks for reading! Not sure if I'll have posts for the rest of the week ... it all depends on what time I get home from work tomorrow and Thursday. I might have had a four-day weekend, but due to some family craziness, I only was able to swatch one other polish. I was lucky to get this one done at all. This wouldn't bother me so much if I weren't trying to get back into the game, so I'm hoping I can get my groove back sooner rather than later. In the meantime, please hang in there with me, guys. Oh, and please drink all the summer shandys -- I desperately need one, and Saturday is just too far away!

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! This reminded me that I haven't seen very many of the little silk poppies for sale around here this year.

    Awww, I will drink a summer shandy for you tonight =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have this one? You would LOVE this!!!!

      Delete
  2. Whoa, I'm not normally a red fan but this is gorgeousssssss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give in to the reds, Ashley! ;)

      Thank you! xo

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.