Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Summer Lovin'

Howdy, howdy! Didn't mean to go a few days between posts there. Unfortunately everything I've been wearing lately has been damn near impossible to photograph -- one was a neon (%$*@#!), another was a weird mint/jade/sea glass ... thing (ughhhhhhh), another was purple (hellacious, always) -- but the good news is that those failures finally led me to this beauty.

I completely acknowledge that most of the colors in the new SH limited edition Beach Paradise collection for the CSM line are kind of old hat. Most of them aren't so special. But part of the appeal of LE CSMs is the thrill of the hunt, and I was delighted when I found Beach Paradise unexpectedly at a CVS nail bar (note: not all CVS stores have nail bars. I didn't think that location would, and BOY, WAS I WRONG). I scooped up five of the polishes -- 20% off beauty coupon, heyoooooo -- and wasn't sure which one to try first until it rained for three days straight last week; a pink creme seemed like a good pick-me-up. Enter Summer Lovin'.

I cannot even make a "Grease" joke because I hate "Grease." Like, what even was the point of the whole thing? I just can't.




Three coats with SV.










SH CSM Summer Lovin': not so special, and yet ... super special to me. As we all know, store lighting is less than ideal when trying to suss out colors, so I'm glad I took a chance on this one. Summer Lovin' is a blue-tinged pink -- I prefer blue-tinged pinks on me, and while this does lean pretty warm, it's definitely got some blue tones. As for the finish, I found it to be a jelly-creme ... it's a little squishy, not a straight up creme finish. Gals, please take that with a grain of salt because describing finishes is not my forte. All I know was that this was squishy, and to me squishy = jelly-creme.

The formula was excellent, and I had no issues. This is opaque in three coats. I don't recommend two coats with this one because it still seemed patchy to me at that point. Dry time was super fast with SV, and I wore this for two days with no chipping or tip wear. I actually can't wait to wear this again. Maybe as a pedi? I don't know. But it's going in rotation.

What do you think? If you feel like taking a gamble on Summer Lovin' (the polish, not the actual thing, but don't let me tell you what to do), then you need to go to CVS and grab this, pronto! While I have no idea which Beach Paradise polish I'm gonna try next, I hope I love it as much as I loved this one. :)

Thank you for reading! This is it for me until Friday's Shopping My Stash post with Steff. Since it's been a while since I last posted, I'll spill one detail: I'll be blogging an old Sally Hansen polish. I have pictures. Now I just need to write the post ...

Oh, and can someone please explain the appeal of "Grease" to me? I've watched the movie. I have the misfortune of having committed a couple songs to memory. I've seen it as a high school play (one of my best friends played piano for our school production). And apart from the film being a vehicle for Olivia Newton-John, I DO NOT GET IT. I think the year I realized this, my favorite musicals were "My Fair Lady" and "Fiddler on the Roof" (which is one of my favorite things EVER), so teenage romance seemed dumb to me in terms of context/subject matter.

16 comments:

  1. *grabby hands* SO GOOD

    I LOVE Grease...because I don't even know why. I'm going to go with Stockard Channing as my answer though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU NEEEEEEEEEEEED THIS!

      I totally regret not seeing her and Martha Plimpton in "Pal Joey" back in '09.

      Delete
  2. Pretty color!

    For me, Grease is all about nostalgia. Granted, I was born in 1991, but my mom adored Grease and we would watch it all the time when I was little and sing along. Actually, we preferred Grease 2. I remember on my 21st birthday my mom and I sang Cool Rider karaoke and I was hammered! Oh it was so fun! So it's more about the memories the movie brings to me, but regardless I still think it's just plain fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's stupid pretty. If you like pink, GET IT!

      Awww, that's sweet that you and your mom both love "Grease." And LOL @ your drunk karaoke to "Cool Rider" -- that actually sounds AMAZEBALLS and your mom sounds like fun. Thanks for sharing your memories with me. :) I guess life would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things -- at least we agree on this polish!

      Delete
  3. Don't ever speak to me again. Grease is GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy Santiago WOULD like "Grease." #thatisall

      Delete
    2. AMY SANTIAGO IS A NATIONAL TREASURE.

      Delete
    3. I can't dance, either ... so I get that.

      Delete
  4. Oh. my. God. I think I may have fallen in love with you (in the most platonic non-creepy way imaginable, of course). You hate Grease, too! I don't even know how to express my joy lol That movie doesn't even...I mean, I can't....it's just...there are no words. And everyone's all "OMG GREASE!!!!!!1!!1!" and I'm all "No, please." It's so great to know I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Now that I think about it, I have no room to talk -- my John Travolta musical of choice would be the 2007 version of "Hairspray," which I love as much as I don't love "Grease." :P

      Delete
  5. Amen on the "Grease" hate, I thought I was the only person! I adore this color on you, and am weirdly tempted to get it myself despite not really being a pink person...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll put it diplomatically (or what I *think* is diplomatic): If we all liked the same shit, things would be SUPER BORING. :) And thanks! I LOVE this polish. Saturated pinks are weirdly flattering on me, so I'm not fighting it any more, haha.

      Delete
  6. I, too, fell for this color at a CVS. I never get pedicures, but a small town we frequent in Baja has a very nice lady who really needs the work, and she does a nice pedicure while you drink your margaritas. Her colors were limited, so I brought my own, the SH Complete Salon Manicure in Summer Lovin', and a topcoat: SH Insta-Dry. She only put one coat on, but it looked great. Squishy, as you said. I wore that polish through March, April, May (with beach walking in Florida), and finally I broke down and tried to give myself a pedicure. I did alright, and it looks good. I do love the color, and it really wears a looooong time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold up. A pedicure while you drink margaritas? THAT IS AMAZING. I want to get a pedi there! ;)

      And I can't blame you for wearing this polish as a pedi for 3 months -- it's absolutely gorgeous. Definitely one of the best drugstore purchases I've made in a long time!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.