Friday, May 9, 2014

Shopping My Stash: Spring's May flowers

Yay, Friday! And yay, a new Shopping My Stash post! You might remember Steff chose our "April showers" theme last month, and we both looooooooved our Shopping My Stash picks (her post + my post). You probably guessed that we made the TOTALLY ORIGINAL AND INSPIRED decision to roll with the "May flowers" theme for today. Crazily enough, we're both blogging polishes from the same brand ... from the same collection.

*Cue NBC's "Hannibal" theme music (or something equally ominous/ridiculous)*

Anyway, before Sally Hansen's Complete Salon Manicure line debuted in the winter of 2010, there was the Sally Hansen Salon line. [You know, the one with square bottles and rubberized caps? I miss those square bottles!] The Spring '09 collaboration with designer Tracy Reese was my introduction to limited edition designer/SH collab polishes -- I remember reading about them on ALU, but I didn't buy them because I was just starting to collect and I was pretty much buying OPI exclusively at that point. It wasn't until a massive sale on nailXchange, a now defunct blog (sad!), that I was able to score SH Salon Forsythia. I think this was near the end of 2011, in case you were wondering how long Forsythia had been wasting away in my Helmer.

If we're being technical, I have some bad news: Forsythias don't bloom in May -- they bloom WEEKS before it, as soon as winter comes to a close. LOL, oop @ me, way to fail at your own prompt, Rachel!, etc., etc.




Three and a half coats with SV.











The good news is that this polish bears a striking resemblance to the flower it was named after. The bad news is that it bears a striking resemblance to said flower, and that not everyone can pull this color off. It's not quite a golden mustard, but it's definitely a little more green and muted than actual forsythias:





What do you think? I didn't super hate it, but I didn't super love it on me, either. To quote Madeline, it was aggressively okay. Depending on my light source, this either blended weirdly into my complexion, or it looked like ... pee. I don't even know where to start with the silver shimmer! Overall, very strange. I'm still not sure how I feel about it, to be honest.

Formula wise, this one was kind of fussy. There were a couple of variables at play here. First, this is a five-year-old YELLOW that has a distinct old-school polish fume smell. Second, I was polishing in bed (strike one!) at 2 a.m. (striiiiike two!), which rarely yields good results but seems to happen too often these days for me. It took me two attempts on my left hand to perfect the amount of polish that would go on the brush for each coat: one thin coat, two thicker ones, and then an extra half coat to cover up spots that looked bald. (Please note my judgment at 2 a.m. is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from my judgment at a rational time of day.) You definitely need three coats for opacity. Dry time was on the slow side with SV, but again, five-year-old yellow! I wasn't expecting anything miraculous, but this could have been a lot worse (OPI Banana Bandana + Avon Sunshine = the bane of yellow polishes). I wore this for three days with significant tip wear on my right (dominant) hand and one chip on my right index finger.

This polish and the other Spring '09 Tracy Reese ones were limited edition, and of course the SH Salon line has been discontinued, so your best bet at finding this would be to stalk blog sales these days. I want to say there was a time maybe in 2010, 2011? when people would find SH Salon polishes at Dollar Tree and Big Lots, but you'd really have to scour eBay, Pinterest, Storenvy, etc. if you wanted to find them now.

Since I rambled far more than I thought I would today, I would LOVE to hear your thoughts about Forsythia! Do you guys have any polishes from the old SH Salon line? Does anyone else miss those square bottles? These new ones ... yuck. And do you have a favorite SH Tracy Reese shade? I'm still working my way through mine, eek!

As always, thank you for reading, and pop over to Short 'n Chic to see Steff's floral polish! I have that one, but of course it's untried, so I can't wait to see it on her and read what she has to say about it. :D Fun tidbit: She actually blogged Forsythia waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day. In fact, she blogged it twice; the post I linked here was the more recent of the two. I think it looks better on her than she thinks it does, but isn't that always the way?

The Mother's Day weekend sort of changed my plans to work on a couple of posts for next week, so we'll see what happens. I hope you all have a good weekend. And to the mamas reading this blog, I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day! <3

4 comments:

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.