Monday, May 19, 2014

Skinny Dipping (With Friends): butter LONDON Crumpet

It's Skinny Dipping time again! The fact that the last post that went up was a Shopping My Stash post tells you just. how. bananas. real life has been lately. But I had to come back for my other monthly series! I just wish I'd liked the polish you'll see today a lot more than I did.

So, butter LONDON Crumpet: like, but not love. I think it would look amazing on darker-skinned ladies, because on me, Crumpet resembled a foundation color, not a nail polish.




Three coats with SV.









That last photo kind of cracks me up. That foundation is Clinique Perfectly Real Makeup in Shade 18, moderately fair. My aunt bought it for me last year as a birthday gift-slash-replacement foundation for my friend Krysi's wedding last September, when the original foundation we thought I could use ended up being sorta Oompa Loompa on me. This one is a much better match, thank goodness.

Going back to what I was saying earlier, I enjoy Crumpet, but I don't love it. I think it looked okay on me. It definitely wasn't as repulsive as the last nude polish I hated. I just don't see myself reaching for it again is all.

The formula and application on this polish were pretty good. Dry was decent. I have to note that although my I used SV as my top coat for these swatch photos, I actually used the butter LONDON Hardwear P.D. Quick top coat when I wore this. While that bL top coat is slower to dry than usual standbys SV/NYC GCS/Cult Nails Wicked Fast, I get crazy good wear when I use it with my bL polishes. I got three perfect days of wear with Crumpet: no chips, no tip wear.

Crumpet was part of the Starkers nail polish trio from last spring. The other two Starkers polishes were Tea & Toast and Shandy -- I think I have Shandy? Not sure; Crumpet currently is not available on the official bL site, but you still can pick it up at a few other retailers for $15. Orrrrrrr, if you live in the contiguous U.S. and you don't mind used bottles, you should email me and I can send my bottle to you. I'm open to swapping, but at the end of the day, I just wanna send this to someone who would like it. So email me! :)

I guess the real question is this: If I didn't like Crumpet on me (which, ngl, I suspected as much), why did I even buy it? The smiling qt on the right, that's why.




Jamie Bamber, man. So. Cute. Anyway, before standing behind THE TOWEL or getting in a fat suit on "Battlestar Galactica," he was the badass adorable, albeit slightly dramatic woobie Archie Kennedy on "Hornblower." In the Hornblower fandom, Archie Kennedy was known as a crumpet, and his fans were known as Crumpeteers. (Apparently, this explains how it all started.) I have never eaten a crumpet in my life, but when I do ... I will think of his adorable face. Also, can we talk about how damn good Jamie Bamber's American accent is? If you watched him in "BSG," you know what I'm talking about. OTHER BRITISH ACTORS, TAKE NOTE. *cough* Charlie Hunnam *cough*

That's all for me today. I'm gonna use this week as the butter LONDON week you guys voted for last month, so I will have another bL up tomorrow. Any thoughts on Crumpet, or Hornblower? (I see Ioan Gruffudd has a new show out this fall ... the promo clip I saw looks terrible, but I've watched a lot of terrible things for him. Like, I'm pretty sure I dragged my dad and sister out to watch the SECOND "Fantastic Four" movie at midnight. I'm still sorry.) Again, U.S. readers, don't forget to email me if you want this bottle! And don't forget to visit Anna's blog today to see her nude polish of the month.

Thanks for reading ! Oh, and in case you don't know what that towel reference was about ... Google "Lee Adama towel." You are super welcome. ;)

6 comments:

  1. Yup, something about Crumpet is just slightly off on you. It's not Malt-bad but it just doesn't quite work.

    I LOVE Pacific Rim but watching it again just made me realize how awful Charlie Hunnam's accent is. Like, so awful. And he's been playing an American on a long-running TV show. You'd think he would have perfected it, but it sounds like he's talking through a mouth full of marbles. Why didn't Idris pull him aside like, "Mate, your accent is rubbish. Let me help you. I do a great American accent"???? Although, like I said, his real accent sounds hella fake on Undeclared, so maybe he just has a weird voice? GET IT TOGETHER, CHARLIE.

    I would watch anything for Ioan. I'm watching Ringer right now. He wears a suit the whole time and looks so good. I am going to watch his new show because it might be insane and terrible but it might be insane and great? I thought Sleepy Hollow looked hilariously bad but I'm obsessed with it so much so that I got my mom to watch it and now she texts me all the time asking me when season 2 is airing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very few things will be as bad as Malt was. *shudder*

      Cosigning everything you said about Charlie's accent, Idris, Ioan, and your text about Hugh Dancy's American accent. Even though I love the "Nicholas Nickleby" movie Charlie was in a loooooooong time ago and I've seen it a million times, his accent there was awful, too!

      I am so pressed that Orlando Jones came to my old workplace a couple months ago. Sigh. #proudsleepyhead

      Delete
  2. Haha, that last photo with the foundation is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't NOT do it! Glad you enjoyed. :D

      Delete
  3. It's pretty, but like Madeline said, something's just a bit off. I know it'd look hideous on me, and too bad-I looooove nudes. Ah well.

    That foundation pic though! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you can wear that NOPI Carrie Underwood nude, so you've got that going for you. It would look like pantyhose on me. ;)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.