Monday, June 9, 2014

Essie The More the Merrier

Hello, friends. It's been a while since I blogged, and I'm glad I found some time for it today. The end of May and most of June is a busy time for my family every year, so that's not exactly news. Work, though? Oh man. Not only have I been adjusting to a new position ("new" = since January), but one of our staff members is leaving in late July and we're in a tizzy trying to prepare ourselves. Oh, and did I mention I work for a small business? If you do, too, then you know the drill -- you don't go home until you go home. And sometimes I don't walk in the door until midnight, which leads to me grabbing polishes that I *hope* are easy to apply, polishes I hope don't require much effort.

Enter Essie The More the Merrier. I had high hopes for this one. Color, it delivered in spades. Everything else left a LOT to be desired.

I'm not sure if my rage was the result of 1 a.m. polishing, or a seriously crappy formula. --Crappy for Essie, anyway. If I'm being honest, TMTM's formula reminded me of some of my Chanels (bleh).

But you guys. DAT GREEN.




Three coats with SV.








Drooooooooooooool. As chartreuse/lime shades go, this one is pretty heavy on the yellow. I don't mind, because I definitely can work with that!

The More the Merrier was the only creme in last summer's Essie Naughty Nautical collection, which was made up of glass flecked shimmers. Although cremes always will be my favorite finish, I would have liked to see this color in that business. Anyway, Essie cremes usually are pretty good, which is why I reached for this one over a couple other polishes in this color family.

Holy. Crap. The formula was TERRRRRRRIBLE. It was on the streaky side, and I had some patches after two coats. While I'm a compulsive three-coater, I've gotten used to most post-2011 cremes only needing two coats, so The More the Merrier threw me off. I was outraged mostly because my emotions rarely are in check after midnight; when I swatched this later, I wasn't quite as worked up, although it did need some TLC to apply. So keep that in mind if your bottle is as weird as mine was. When I woke up, I was even more enraged to find that my nails were covered in sheet marks -- I'll chalk that up to my dying bottle of SV, but still. STILL! Clearly that day was not my day.

As I said, TMTM was released last summer as part of the limited edition Naughty Nautical collection; I found this bottle and two other Naughty Nauticals for $4.99 a pop at Marshall's last November, so I grabbed them. I'm not sure if any of the other Naughty Nauticals have joined their namesake polish in the core Essie display, but I did check Ulta's site and TMTM and Sunday Funday are included in their core Essie stock.

All in all, I think I'll give TMTM another shot before I get rid of it. I'm usually pretty patient about working with nail polish, but when you're stuck doing your nails right before bed, you need polishes that do not require a fuss. Oh well. You live, you learn.

Thanks for reading! I'll try to get more posts up this week ... I've got quite a backlog of pictures, but time is not my friend right now. In case things get crazy, DO come back on Friday for Shopping My Stash! I don't even know what I'm posting yet, so that should be interesting. :)

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't given this polish a second thought, even though I love greens, because it just seemed so agressive, almost pugilistic. Now that I've seen it swatched with your usual inimitable grace, I'm loving it! Oh Rachel, why do you do this to me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Aggressive" would not be an unusual description of this color to most non-polish wearers. :) Thanks, Liz!

      Also, until you left this comment, I had no idea you had a blog! I've followed it now :)

      Delete
  2. I am so with you on DAT GREEN. It makes me bite my bottom lip, and I start to hear that bow-chicka-wow. Seriously, yes. DAT GREEN. But aaugh and also-yes, that formula! I had pretty much the same experience. Essie and I don't always get along (formula/chemistry/ancestral feud, I have no idea), but I've only been able to use it in nail art so far. You really got some beautiful pics of yours! (*jellus*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, whew -- I'm SO glad that it's not just me re: the formula!!!! OMG, it's terrible. It's pretty much what I would expect from an inconsistent brand ... and while I admit Essie can be inconsistent, for the most part their creme formulas are consistently GOOD. What gives???

      Also, I cackled so hard at "formula/chemistry/ANCESTRAL FEUD." Just so you know. ;)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.