Monday, June 16, 2014

Skinny Dipping (With Friends): Essie Cocktails & Coconuts

Happy Monday, friends, and time for summer Skinny Dipping. If you like Essie, you're in luck today -- Anna and I will be showing off some lovely Essie nude polishes, new for 2014 and perfect for summer.

One of my favorite things about summer is Essie's annual resort collection. However, for some reason, I'm not really feeling the Resort 2014 color story this year (although I must admit it would look GORG as an ikat print). It's possible that I might be bored with newly-released nail polish. WHO AM I?

While I like cocktails verrrrrrry much, I'm still figuring out how I feel about coconuts (is there a more polarizing flavor?). The funny thing is that I didn't even have to think about buying this polish, as it was the only one in the collection that spoke to me. It was more a matter of when I'd have $5 in ExtraBucks to put on this. An Essie for $3 and change? Yes, please.




Three coats with SV.








If you're in the market for a nude palette cleanser in between the summertime neons and brights (yes, I said "palette," not the correct "palate"), Cocktails & Coconuts is about as good as it gets. It's a pretty unobtrusive shade. The specks of silver shimmer don't show up unless you look closely, so for the most part it looks like a creme. I'm okay with that, but I understand wanting the shimmer to be a little more prominent. It probably got lost in the heavy creamy base.

Formula was okay for this one. It's not streaky, but if you don't wait in between coats, you'll get some hardcore patching. If you work carefully, you can get it opaque in two coats, but I find it looked the most even at three. Dry time was super fast with SV. This was only a swatch, though I'd feel confident about wearing it for a more conservative work week stretch.

The Resort Fling collection was released absurdly early this year. Now that summer displays are trickling into stores, you'd probably stand a better chance of buying this one somewhere like Ulta or at a beauty supply than you would if you wandered into CVS today. If you can wait, snap it up online ... I've seen eBay prices, and they seem pretty reasonable. I'm not sure if I'll go back for Find Me an Oasis, but never say never.

Now that I think about it, Cocktails & Coconuts might be a more flattering version of Essie Mochachino. Mochachino is untried (surprise!), so I don't know if the sparkle in that polish actually shows up on the nail. I'll have to look into it.

Sorry this post was so late. The pics I took this weekend were a blur fest, and I didn't get a chance to take new ones until lunchtime today. Merp. But I'd love to hear your thoughts on this polish! Shoot, tell me about your favorite summer cocktail(s). What are your feelings vis-à-vis coconut as a flavor? I really only like it on hummingbird cake, and even then ...

Thanks for reading! If you haven't already, make sure you get a look at the Essie polish Anna posted today. I passed on it because I think I'm too yellow to make it look good on me, but she is making me reconsider.

If I have time to post tonight, I might be back this week with a few more catch-up NOTDs! I have pics -- that's half the battle, right?

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, you do! Friggin' Resort Collection gets me EVERY. TIME.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.