Friday, July 11, 2014

Shopping My Stash: Setting sail

Sooooooooo, uh. I slept through my alarm this morning, so I did not get a chance to write this post until, you know, now. At least I had pictures ready ...

Once again, you've probably already read Short 'n Chic by now, so you know we went nautical this month. If you've been a Short 'n Chic or Stuff reader for the past couple of years, then you also know we love nautical themes (not just in the summertime, but all year!) and it was merely a MATTER OF TIME until it extended to stash shopping. :) I had trouble picking a polish, so I texted Steff some options. There were two polishes in particular that she liked best, one for the name and one for nostalgia.

"The name" ended up winning, because I had 20 minutes to get photos done and HAZMAT NO TIME. (Don't worry. The nostalgic selection will make an appearance on this blog eventually!)




Three coats with SV. Sorry about my pinkie nail looking janky around the cuticle. That nail did not want to cooperate with SV that day, so I had to re-do it maybe 3 times. UGH. And with 20 minutes to take some photos, I didn't bother cleaning it up. Sorry.









If you're thinking this color is Really Not A Pink Rachel Would Wear, you would be right, but the truth is that I rather enjoyed it! At first I thought it was "dangerously Grandma chic," but I'm not one to knock a color that is flattering on me, so there's that. (Also, a 12-year-old girl at work told me she liked it.) Sailor's Delight is a muted pastel pink creme that leans warm; I think it would fit pretty seamlessly into a "blush and bashful" scheme. I didn't cut my nails this week, and on my "talons," the muted quality of this color made me feel like a fancy receptionist in the late '80s ... very Doralee Rhodes. ;)

AND THE NAME. UGH. LOVE. Supposedly it's from that saying, "Pink sky at night, sailor's delight," but I've heard "red sky," too. If you sail, you should probably leave me a comment and set me right!

Formula was really great with this polish, perfect creme and easy to work with. I think it was opaque in two coats, and dried super quickly with SV. I have been wearing it for three days now, and I won't lie to you -- I'll be sorry to take it off. But I'll save this polish for the next time I need to be a little bit Doralee.

Sailor's Delight was part of Barielle's Spring 2009 collection, so it's pretty darn old. I don't see Sailor's Delight for sale on the Barielle site, but I did notice it's in the Pink Revolution 5-pack (which was floating around TJ Maxx this time last year). I'm going to venture a guess and say it's discontinued, although you also could pick it up separately on Amazon. At one point a few years ago, Ulta sold Barielle, so I'm thinking I bought this color when Ulta was clearancing its Barielle polishes.

All right. What do you think of this color? Do you love it as much as I do, or is it boring? If you have not popped by Steff's nautical polish yet, do it. I have to admit that polish is still in my untrieds! Eek. Anyway, I'm really glad I went with "the name" for this month's prompt instead of "nostalgia," because this polish would have gone untried for foreverrrrrrrr. This is part of the reason why I love our stash shopping series so much. :)

Thanks for reading! So sorry this post went up so damn late. There is A LOT going on IRL this summer -- it's kind of stressful, if I'm being honest, but some fun things are happening, too. Next week is going to be particularly busy for me, although I plan to have at least two posts for you.

Okay, I'm out. Have a good weekend! It's National Blueberry Muffin Day -- I'm off to run some errands and might stop by Dunkin Donuts on the way home. >:)


P.S. My 3rd blogaversary giveaway is open! I'm giving away some good stuff, so please enter and spread the word!
P.P.S. If you guys like sailing-inspired music, give the Tennis album "Cape Dory" a listen! It's name and nostalgia, all in one. Here's the track that made me drop everything and made me a fan:




You're welcome. ;)

4 comments:

  1. When I saw Stephanie's post in my blog feed this morning I was like, "I BET RACH PICKED THIS THEME."

    I texted my dad for confirmation of pink/red sky--he says it's "red sky."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me so well.

      I'm glad your dad knows what's up. Tell him I said thanks. And to adopt me.

      Delete
  2. I feel kind of lame liking just a regular old boring pink, but wow, it looks really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, that's EXACTLY how I felt! :) This one is hella nice.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.