Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Blue Cross Summer Brights 2014: Ube Ice Cream

Happy hump day! I don't have a lot of time today, so this is going to have to be a quickie. (That's what she said.)

2014 has been bringing it not only in the glass fleck department -- the number of neon pastels I have seen this year is enough to make my head spin, no exaggeration. If you read Nouveau Cheap or the drugstore display posts at Frazzle and Aniploish, then you know what's out there. I ran across the Summer 2014 Blue Cross Summer Brights display at Rite Aid back in April (I think), and immediately got a case of the grabby hands. Then common sense got a hold of me, so I permitted myself to buy juuuuuuuust one.

Blue Cross is the same company that makes the beloved cuticle remover at Sally's, as well as the same company that puts out the polishes in cute little pumpkin or snowman head bottles during the appropriate holiday seasons. The only thing is that Blue Cross doesn't seem to name their polishes, so I named this pastel neon purple after the first purple food I could think of.




Three coats with SV.








If you're still confused by the name, here you go:


(source)


It's the purple from a yam, but it's so much more than that. (Also, I'm sorry if you just got ragey over the word "yam" ... I just did, but that might be the two consecutive years of reading Things Fall Apart from when I switched high schools and had to read it AGAIN speaking.)

This neon pastel is on the cooler side, so I'll dare to say it's universally flattering. The only catch with this one is that it dries semi-matte and you have to work quickly but carefully. A self-leveling top coat (SV) helps substantially! I wore this so long ago that I forgot how many days I got out of it, but I do remember getting chips on my chippy finger on Day 4. Not too bad at all.

AFAIK, these Blue Cross displays are Rite Aid exclusives, so that's where you'll want to go look for these. I can't find my receipt, but according to the display photos, they're $3.99 a pop. That's a fairly decent price for a drugstore polish; however, when you consider the fact that people with pro discounts can get salon brands for about that price, $3.99 seems almost steep. But I liked this one; if you want it, go for it.

Oh, and I went back for a blue from this display. I hope I can try it and blog it before the end of the summer, but don't hold your breath.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this polish, or neon pastels in general. Do you have any favorites? Did you pick up anything from this collection? Also, if you have never tried ube ice cream ... do it. I finally figured out two years ago why I don't like halo-halo (there are a few foods I hate that touch, and that is one of them -- I don't know why, I like almost everything in it ... separately), but ube ice cream on its own is so freakin' legit. I'm sure there are more than a few blogs out there that can tell you how to DIY your own ice cream at home in case you can't get to an Asian market that sells it, so try it out and report back to me.

Thanks so much for reading! I'll be back on Friday for Shopping My Stash, so definitely come back for that. And if you haven't yet taken three minutes to enter Stuff's 3rd Birthday Giveaway, totally do it! Not to toot my own horn or anything, but it truly is a gift that keeps on giving. Or something. ;) Thanks for the love, you guys. Means a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.