Wednesday, July 30, 2014

NEW: China Glaze Capacity to See Beyond

I know I said I was going to be back on Monday with a red, but I bought this polish last weekend and it was TOO GOOD for me to hold off showing you. Only, I got a horrible migraine the night I wanted to work on this post, and the last thing I wanted to do was look at a computer screen, so I called it a night and went to bed early. I still have a little bit of migraine, but I'm 98% sure I know what that's about. (Coincidentally, I want to eat ALL the sweet and salty things.)

Anyway, I ducked into Sally's last Friday with my sister to pick up a badly-needed bottle of Gelous when I found the China Glaze Colour Your Destiny display. This is ChG's tie-in with the movie version of "The Giver" (or, as I like to call it, Jeff Bridges' passion project, so WHO KNOWS if it will be good because passion projects tend not to be). I cannot get over how weird this tie-in is. I haven't read the novel since I was probably 10, but the subject matter does not exactly scream "cosmetic tie-in" to me.

But if the other Colour Your Destiny polishes are like this one, I'll deal with it.

NOTE: These photos have been altered a little bit to bring out the warmer tones of this polish.




Three coats with SV.








Capacity to See Beyond was the first polish I grabbed from the display. I did not even stop to ask myself if I owned a similar shade of blue, but the closest one I could think of was Essie In the Cab-ana, and even then, I think that one leaned a little more green. Drool.

It's a good thing the color is so scrumptious, because the formula on this one was not exactly a walk in the park for me. I'm not sure if it was the humidity over the weekend or an issue with the polish itself; either way, I had a difficult time opening up the bottle. When I did, there was polish all over the side of the cap, but I was able to clean it up. The formula was on the thick side, and gooped a little if you left the bottle open for too long. It took me a couple of tries to figure out how best to load my brush while I was polishing. While I've definitely worked with more PITA polishes, ChG has made some baller cremes in the past and Capacity to See Beyond is not exactly one of them. Do you guys think I might have a dud bottle??? I've been wearing this for the past couple of days and it still looks good, so I'll keep it on till Friday or Saturday, I think. :)

Supposedly the Colour Your Destiny polishes will be available at Sally's and Ulta, but I've only seen them at Sally's as of last weekend. Go get you some! Or did you do that already? If so, which ones did you get?

Whatcha guys think of Capacity to See Beyond? I think the color payoff is worth the trouble, although like I said, I've worked with worse -- I realize this is not exactly the most ringing endorsement, but have I ever lied to you? Will any of you be watching "The Giver" when it comes out in a couple of weeks, or will you be a purist and stick to the book (like me)? I want to give the movie the benefit of the doubt because Jeff Bridges, but oh maaaaaannnnn, passion projects are messy and Hollywood and IDK, y'all.

Thanks so much for reading this post! I don't know what my schedule looks like this Friday, but I will be back at some point during the day to announce my giveaway winners. I guess it goes without saying, buuuuuuuuuut if you haven't entered yet, do it, plzkthx.

10 comments:

  1. I want a bunch from this collection but haven't seen them yet. This looks fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I bought wayyyyyyyyyyy too many. >__<

      Delete
  2. I bought four last week, but I kind of want more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *whispers* I might have gotten 8. Including this one. I have a Limited Edition Disease.

      Delete
  3. I LOVED the book as a kid, so I will probably see the movie at some point, although my hopes aren't high. I did think it was a weird candidate for a movie-nail polish tie-in, but hey, what do I know? Pretty polish; those kinds of blues always sing to me from displays.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can see myself watching the movie on Redbox or at a second-run theater or something. And as far as I can tell, I don't have anything like this blue in my stash. Go get this!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! Bet it would look awesome on you. BTW, nice to see your nails on my blog roll again. :)

      Delete
  5. I don't remember much about the book (although I did like it a lot as a kid), but from the trailers it looks pretty interchangeable with any of the other lackluster YA dystopian adaptations of the last few years. This blue is fab, though, and I've seen gorgeous swatches of the glitter soooo I will prob be picking up a few of these :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, your comment about the trailer looking "interchangeable" with the other YA dystopian adaptations? YOU NAILED IT. Those are totally my feelings. However, I did end up with 8 polishes from this collection (and am talking myself out of 2 more). EEEEEEEEEEK.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.