Friday, July 18, 2014

Nicole by OPI Sing You Like a Bee

Okay, you guys. In case the lack of entries this week wasn't a big enough indicator, please know that we officially have entered the part of July-slash-summer that is going to be BATSHIT CRAZY for me. Accordingly, everything you're going to see for the rest of this month has been (sort of) planned and scheduled to the best of my ability (whatever this means). --A little anal-retentive of me, yeah, but I have one hell of a backlog building up ...

Anyway, for the three of you who were wondering if I got any of the NOPI Carrie Underwood polishes released earlier this year, the answer is yes: I have two.

I'm not a huge Carrie Underwood fan -- I know only three songs of hers ("Ever Ever After," which is the song she did for the movie "Enchanted," and of course "Before He Cheats," and "Jesus Take the Wheel." Can I just say that "Jesus Take the Wheel" is a REALLY STRANGE CHOICE of song for a child to sing at a children's talent show? That was such a strange night). Basically, everything I know about her comes from reading ONTD: For instance, I have mad respect for her for taking a personal trainer on tour with her instead of a make-up artist. But I have to agree that she is the perfect musician/celebrity to partner with NOPI for a collection of her own. I don't know why NOPI didn't collaborate with her until now.

Like Carrie herself, the colors in her collection are on the safe side, but there's something in there for everybody. As soon as I saw swatches of Sing You Like a Bee, I knew it was for me.




This is four coats plus Gelous + SV.

Also it just occurred to me ... was Carrie Underwood a judge on "The Singing Bee"? Because that would explain this name.










I have this obsession with gold, and white and gold together are two of my favorite colors. (How bad is it?, you ask. Let's just say that if I ever have to have a fancy wedding, that color combo is LOCKED IN. Close friends, take note.) Naturally, I had to have Sing You Like a Bee. I can't say how similar it is to ChG White Cap, apart from the gold-on-white action and the fact that some bloggers also have used Sing You Like a Bee for layering.

The formula was pretty good on this one, too. I think it looks perfectly opaque after three coats, so I don't know why I used a fourth. I must have zoned out during an episode of "Broad City" (which, LOVE) while I was polishing. Anyway, I mainly wanted to point out that Sing You Like a Bee dries super gritty, to the point where I wondered if it actually was a texture and I didn't know it. The good thing is that if you slap a coat of Gelous + SV over it, the grittiness dies down significantly. Dry time was super fast and I only wore this for two days, but it was lovely.

You can find the NOPI Carrie polishes online, at several drugstores, and at Kmart, Target and Walmart. However, most stores only carry a few colors; I did notice that Kmart and this one super fancy Walgreens store sold the entire collection. I actually bought this at Kmart one day when I popped in to buy some shampoo on sale. There is one more polish I'm thinking about getting, but I'm in no rush. If this collection is anything like the Kardashian, "Modern Family," and Selena Gomez ones, then what I want will be on clearance at the end of this year.

I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say about this polish, especially vis-à-vis its texture. If you have any NOPI Carrie colors, which ones did you get? Would Sing You Like a Bee make it onto your wishlist(s)? I'll try to share my other NOPI Carrie polish in the coming months, but you probably can guess which one it was.

Also, because it's cute:





BEST MOVIE EVER. Not sure how I feel about this alleged sequel, but "Enchanted" will forever be one of my favorite movies.

Thanks for reading! Hope you guys have a good weekend. And of course, don't forget to enter my blogaversary giveaway. Treat yo self!

10 comments:

  1. Dude, I've just given up on my blog for the time being. I don't care. I'm busy. I'm not even wearing nail polish right now. Most of mine is packed up. I got shit to dooooooo. Also, I think you & Anna are the only people who read my blog anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm busy, although compared to other people, I'm not BUSY. But it's enough to stress me out. My problem is that I reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally enjoy posting. Things might get a little quiet here come September, but we'll see.

      Also, see!!! Stephanie reads your blog!!!!

      Delete
  2. I really regret not getting this one...can't find it anywhere now. I guess my logic was that it looked enough like White Cap that I didn't need it, but seeing it on you has made me rethink that. Curses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have White Cap, I really think you could make yourself happy with it. I just have a problem!

      Delete
  3. This polish is gorgeous! I love how shimmery it is. As for the movie Enchanted, it's super cute! My niece and I both really love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! And OMGGGGG, I love "Enchanted." I might need to watch it again one of these days ... I adore Amy Adams, but James Marsden was eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeverything.

      Delete
  4. I love your blog! Love the commentary, the tie ins to movies, tv, books, concerts, life, etc. It feels like I'm catching up with a girlfriend. I hope even if real life takes you away for a bit, you'll come back. As far as the Carries, eh, nothing really jumped out at me, although this one is pretty. I have to pretty much die over something to bring it home with me these days. Not ashamed to admit Enchanted is one of my all time favorites! And to think, after the first 5 mins, I seriously thought I had made a mistake (the beginning is SO cheesy). But the rest of the time I had a huge smile on my face. Especially during the musical number in the park "How do you know". Gah. Love love love it so hard. Have it on DVD, showed it to my 5 year old niece this spring. She's had some Ursula related nightmares in the past, so I was a little unsure how she'd handle the end, but it turned out to be the part she requested to watch again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much! I'm glad someone else enjoys it. :) Feel free to email me any time -- it might be a few days in between replies, but I really will read it. <3 As for the beginning of "Enchanted," that's what made the movie for me. I loved all the throwbacks to classic Disney ... there was so much JOY in it, you know? Ursula nightmares are too legit -- I never had them, but if I had been younger, Frollo would have done it for me (that creeper!).

      Delete
  5. Agreed, I love that it was truly an homage rather than a parody. It certainly poked fun, but in a loving way. Also, yes. Frollo was super creepy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.