Friday, August 15, 2014

Shopping My Stash: White wears, summahtime edition

I always feel like a drag every month when I text Steff to ask if she has any ideas for our next stash shopping posts because I feel like I bug her, only for me to end up posting wayyyyyy later in the day. But real life was so crazy last week that I knew I wasn't going to be able to post at all last Friday, which is why you're getting Shopping My Stash today. (Thanks, Steff!)

Steff came up with the idea of posting a white or a pastel to play off of the "no white after Labor Day" cliché, especially since Labor Day will come before our September stash shopping post. The white I originally wanted to use for this post was super uncooperative (and better suited to my White Hot Wednesday feature), so I used another polish instead: OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls, which also happens to be one of Steff's favorite polishes. I chose a white(-ish) creme because I tend to associate white shimmers and glass flecks with the winter holiday season, but cremes are great at evoking the crisp and cool feeling most of us chase in warmer months.

I cannot believe I've owned this polish for 2 summers and did not wear it until last week. FOR SHAME.

Oh, and for the record, my boyfriend does not scale walls. But if we really need to reach (for the purposes of this post), he and Peter Parker both work with journalists.




Three coats with SV.








My Boyfriend Scales Walls is a lovely white creme with a few cool drops of grey. I can't think of any dupes for this. Color Club Silver Lake seems more grey, and China Glaze New Birth (from the new Colour Your Destiny tie-in collection with "The Giver") seems warmer than MBSW. In any case, this polish looks good on everybody. (As a matter of fact, here's MBSW on Steff; if you read her blog, then you've seen her do lots of nail art with it as well.) And although I've been wearing white polish this summer, MBSW looks faded next to a true white creme. It actually took a few days for me to get used to wearing this, because my nails looked like I'd rubbed them on a pair of dark wash jeans. You know what I mean? It was pretty weird, but I got used to it after the third day.

Apart from MBSW being universally flattering, its formula is pretty incredible for a white. It was really easy to work with the second time I put it on for swatching purposes (I think the first time it was terrible because my base coats were on their way out), and dry time with SV was really fast. I wore it for four days last week, and it held on pretty well with no chips. The tip wear part was kind of interesting, though -- I had minimal tip wear on my left hand, but average tip wear on my right (my dominant hand). I washed my hands eleventy billion times last week, but I can't think of anything else that would explain the tip wear difference.

MBSW might not be a true oldie in my stash, but it's two years old! It was part of OPI's tie-in with "The Amazing Spider-Man" movie two summers ago (TERRIBLE movie, IMO). If you did not get a chance to grab this polish back then, it's really ETF online right now! You will love this, I promise. I don't understand why it's not core. It's awesome, which is no small feat for a white polish. I have loved my share of OPI reds and pinks, but I don't see why they couldn't remove one from their core line and include this instead!

What do you guys think? Any opinions about wearing white after Labor Day? Do you have OPI MBSW? If so, do you agree that it is awesome/universally flattering/should be core? Do you have any other OPI ASM polishes? I only have Number One Nemesis, but you know me, gotta have all the Chanel Graphite almost-dupes. I'm running low on time today, so I'll complain about "The Amazing Spider-Man" another time. To put it politely, I was extremely not a fan.

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to visit Short 'n Chic today and have a look at Steff's white polish of choice. If she's posting what I think she's posting, then I've never seen it blogged before, so I'm pretty stoked to see what she has to say about it. :)

Hope you all have a good weekend! I'll try to be back on Monday for Skinny Dipping. You will love the polish I'll share then ... at least, you'll love it on me! ;) #whatishubris

1 comment:

  1. I actually didn't hate the first Amazing Spider-Man. The second one was absolute crap though. And this is one of the few polishes I actually bought a back-up bottle of, purely based on the hype. XD It's awesome though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.