Friday, September 19, 2014

Birthday blue: China Glaze Man Hunt

My twenty-eighth birthday was last week, on September 10. The DIRTY THIRTY is in two more years and I don't know, you guys. I just don't know.

Anyway, I usually sport a sapphire blue manicure of some kind on my birthday. This year, I did not have enough time to do my nails before work -- Wednesdays are my Mondays, and my birthday fell on a Wednesday this year, so shockingly, my nails had to go nekkid. It's okay, though. Later that night, stuffed full of Chinese food and popcorn and Coke/cherry slurpee, I managed to stay up long enough to put on China Glaze Man Hunt. I haven't worn a blue creme on my birthday since 2010; I wasn't expecting to this year, but when the day came, I was not in the mood for anything blingy.

Brace yourself: These photos of Man Hunt, while pretty, are not entirely color-accurate. I had no time to take color-accurate ones, so this is what you get for now.




Three coats with SV.










The last blue creme I wore for my birthday was more navy than sapphire. And sometimes I have issues with dark blue cremes because they come out darker on the nail than bottle color, but no -- Man Hunt was just about perfect! The formula was a little thick and not quite the usual buttery consistency of a ChG creme, but it applied easily, anyway. Dry time was fast with a fresh bottle of SV. Smooth sailing, basically. Bonus: It actually looks blue on the nail!

Man Hunt was from China Glaze's On Safari collection from Fall 2012, which probably was the last ChG fall collection I've been excited for in a while. I was not a fan of most of last year's fall collection, but this year's (All Aboard, I think?) is definitely up my alley. I've scooped up 3 colors so far, and I still want more ... the only theme I like more than a nautical one is a train-themed one. ANWYAY, IIRC, On Safari was the first collection that Madeline had to buy in its entirety. I love the ones I have (even if they aren't all that unique), and Man Hunt is no exception. It's not hard to find if you want it, so if you're looking for a nice blue creme, I heartily recommend it.

Any thoughts on Man Hunt? Do you tend to wear a certain color on your birthday?

So, my birthday. I'd been pre-gaming since the Hall & Oates show and I'd had a meltdown the day before it, but the day itself was fine. I opted to push my birthday work lunch back one day so I could celebrate it with our student worker (whose birthday was the day after mine, #TeamVirgo). I wasn't expecting anything, so imagine my surprise when I found this in the front office ...




Our team lead made me oatmeal raisin cookies. That was so nice of her! And then I found this on my work tablet ...




After work, I had dinner with my parents, my aunt, and her husband at our new favorite Chinese place. Its owner had opened a second location closer to us, and that location was celebrating its first year of business with BOGO entrees, so we ate A CRAP TON of food for an excellent price. Plus my aunt's known the owner forever, so we were able to get a nice table, even with the wait. :)

My family usually lingers after dinner, but since the place was so busy, we split up early. That worked out fine, because my parents and I got to catch a viewing of "Guardians of the Galaxy." Although I'd seen it (opening weekend!), they had not, and my dad had heard such good things that he was afraid he would miss it. They LOVED the movie. My parents enjoy MCU movies, and they're Zoe Saldana fans, so it was a home run for them, even though my mom was all, "I thought his name was Root." Oy.




Last night, I got my birthday present from my boyfriend. Because I'd bought this for myself ...




... he had to get me something else.




I think I have to keep him. When I unwrapped it, I had a pretty Mindy Lahiri reaction ... I definitely screamed a little and lunged at him. Like, I don't even care. Now I get to watch "Christmas Party Sex Trap" WHENEVER I WANT. The day after Hall & Oates, he gave me my card a little early and it's too great for me NOT to share.




And that was just on top of all the lovely well wishes I got from friends and family throughout the day. I'm pretty sure this is the only reason to add your birthday to your Facebook profile -- it's SO nice that people take 20 seconds out of their day to shoot you a birthday message, and it's even nicer when it leads to lots of catching up via reply threads and private messages. I love that. Thank you to those of you who left me birthday greetings on various social media & text! Y'all are awesome. I'm lucky to have you. :)

As I said, the day itself was nice. The idea of being closer to 30 terrifies me to no end. It's not the aging that bothers me (thank you, Asian genetics!). It's the fact that I am getting closer to 30 and I haven't done anything I thought I would have done by now. I also haven't done anything that I'm super proud of. You know, typical late 20s birthday bullshit.

But I'm about to have a LOT of time to suss this all out. Big changes are happening, because -- and this is why I've been so busy and AWOL: My workplace is closing at the end of this month.

The idea of job hunting always has scared me shitless, but this is the first time in a long time that I'll be unemployed. Somehow being unemployed after having been able to avail of benefits (retirement savings, an HSA, health insurance!) is worse than when I was 23 and unemployed after working part-time. 

I have NO IDEA what I'm going to do. Where am I going to live? How am I going to earn an income? What am I going to do about health insurance? #adultproblems 

This is why I've been away. Half the time, I don't have the energy to blog, although I really want to because my backlog is reaching horrifying proportions. But this is not even an "Abu, this is no time to panic" situation, because panicking seems to be all I am doing these days. I have tics and everything. 

HOWEVER, there are some good things I am looking forward to during my downtime over the next couple of months. I will list them all so I can refer to them and calm down in the next 11 days. Heck, maybe I'll even blog about some of these.


FALL 2014 MANIFESTO:
  1. hitting up the drive-in with B before it closes for the winter season. 11/1/14
  2. The next #rbroadtrip is TODAY! It's been two years since our last one, and this will probably be our longest one to date. 9/19/14
  3. celebrating my dad's retirement in October 10/4/14
  4. taking care of myself again: at least 2-3 days of some sort of physical activity for 30-60 mins. every week, or maybe actually do Blogilates every day for a month
  5. learning to cook more things, with a good ratio of healthy and comfort foods
  6. culling my digital music library ... this scares me more than it should.
  7. updating my polish spreadsheet ... which also is scary
  8. taking a complete inventory of my DVD/Blu-ray collection ... which is the least scary thing
  9. spending a few days with my sister in October 10/3-10/7/14
  10. maybe putting some effort into a costume for the first Halloween party B and I have been to since 2010 No one had a party ... whew
  11. also making an effort to go to more Richmond area-based breweries to catch their fall and holiday brews
  12. seeing Jenny Lewis in concert in November 11/12/14
  13. I'm not sure if I'll have to recruit friends again this year, but B is getting another chocolate mint cake for his birthday in November 11/15/14
  14. Friendsgiving!!!! I can't wait. 11/22/14
  15. Thanksgiving with ... oh God I don't even know. 11/27/14
  16. CHRISTMAS EVERYTHING. ALL THE CHRISTMASTIMES.

So yeahhhh, lots of good stuff coming up in spite of me literally pulling my hair out. I hope everything will be okay. If any of you successfully navigated your late 20s and early 30s, I would appreciate any advice, handholding, or commiserating you'd like to send my way. Not even joking.

Oh, and not to bury my lead or anything, but as this post goes up, B and I will be on our way to Cleveland for STEPHANIE'S WEDDING! I'm pretty excited. I've never been to Cleveland. (I really hope a police officer stops me to ask if I want to pet a real police horse.) I met Stephanie's fiance, Ben, back in February, and I've spoken to her on the phone a few times, but I've yet to meet her (and Remy), so I'm tripping balls. I'm also going to spend some time with Anna and her fiance, and I plan to meet Jacqui for lunch the day after the wedding. Wish us safe travels, wish Stephanie and Ben all the love in the world, and cross your fingers that the day goes as smoothly as possible.

All right, I too am out. Catch y'all next week for Skinny Dipping, and perhaps a Cleveland post before the end of the month.

4 comments:

  1. It's true, I love On Safari. I'm pretty excited about the All Aboard collection, too. You know I love a fall collection.

    I hope you have a great time at the wedding!

    I'm also gonna start texting you reminders to work out because guess who has also been slacking on that front?

    P.S. You can always come live with me and Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOOVEEE this polish! That whole On Safari Collection was one of my all-time favorite CG sets. I hope you had an awesome birthday! I usually wear pink polish on my birthday, even though blue and green are my fav polish colors. Go figure. I hope you have a smooth transition into your next job. Job hunting and all the anxiety that goes with it are the worst, but it sounds like you have a really fun fall in store and hopefully you'll find a new opportunity that's exciting and fulfilling for you. :) I saw GOTG opening weekend too! The bf and I went late on Sunday night, thinking it'd be reasonably empty in the theater, but it was still a sold out show. Such an awesome movie--I've been thinking of seeing it in the theater a second time, partially for me and partially so my dad can see it. He's seen most of the Marvel movies and he's finally renting Winter Soldier this weekend. I got him some Brubaker era Cap comics for Father's Day, which he enjoyed, so he's looking forward to Winter Soldier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following you for awhile as well as Stephanie. I don't comment much but check in regularly. I knew you lived in Virginia but I didn't realize you were in Richmond. I also live in Richmond and I work at the University of Richmond. Great place to work, you might want to check out our employment website.

    Have fun at the wedding. Would love to meet you sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, I love Man Hunt: intensely blue and not too bright or too dark!
    I never thought about a special nail colour for birthdays....I paint what the mood tells me to paint ;-)
    I hope you had a nice time in Cleveland: Steph looked stunning in her beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.