Monday, October 27, 2014

OPI With a Nice Finn-ish

OPI Nordic, what a snoozefest. I feel like I've been saying this since every other year with OPI fall collections, because this is what has happened since I *really* started collecting polish:

  • Fall 2009: Espana, LOVE. All that deep, lush color? Swoon.
  • Fall 2010: Swiss collection, boring but it filled some gaps in my collection.
  • Fall 2011: Touring America, LOOOOOOVE.
  • Fall 2012: Germany, enjoyed the color palette and omg the jewel tones, but it was all over the damn place and not cohesive at all.
  • Fall 2013: San Francisco, boring but some good texture + I liked the color palette, which reminded me of OPI Swiss a little.
  • Fall 2014: Nordic, ZZZZZZZZZZZ wake me up for spring colors plz.

To give credit where it's due, OPI does know how to make a damn good vampy creme, which is how I ended up with most of my picks from OPI Nordic, thanks to an Ulta B2G1 on OPI. Strangely, however, it was this burnished copper metallic chrome that I wanted the most. When I told Steff I'd bought With a Nice Finn-ish, she said it would look amazing on me. Let's see if she was right.




Three coats with SV.








Yes, Stephanie, you were right. Ugh, I'm soooooooooooooooo into it.



If you are on the fence about this polish, DON'T BE. I know this might be easy for me to say when it was an OPI B2G1 purchase, but unless your skin tone seriously clashes with this color, it most likely will look no less than fabulous on you. Words usually fail me when it comes to describing the specifics of color, but I think this one is on the bronze side of gold. It's significantly lighter and less intense than my beloved OPI Rising Star, but it's far from your average gold frost/chrome/pearl/whatever, which makes it interesting.

Speaking of finishes, if it's the Finn-ish you're worried about? (PUNS!) I promise it's not so bad! It IS nice. It looks brushstrokey when you apply it, but that dies down after top coat. I recommend using a ridge filler or Gelous if you're worried about nail plate imperfections showing (I used only Gelous and it looked fine). It's opaque at two coats; I used three out of habit. It dries faster between coats than most polishes with a similar finish, so no need to worry about that, either. Dry time was good with SV, and although I only swatched it for you, you know I'll be reaching for this one again (especially when paired with a jewel tone ensemble!!!!).

Ladies, what do you think? Would you be willing to give this OPI a chance? Do you share my opinion that OPI Nordic is a snoozefest, despite perhaps owning a few from this collection? (I don't know what Spring 2015 holds, but it better not suck as much as Texas and Euro Centrale.)

As for its name, I can't be the only one who thinks of this gal whenever I hear something about Finland ...


"DO NOT ANSWER THIS CALL. IT'S DEREK SMEATH."


I am not one for the typical chick flick, but Isla Fisher is adorable and she just won me over in this movie. Plus, Hugh Dancy! Smiling! In nice suits! (I must admit I pulled out this DVD at least twice during the most recent season of "Hannibal" -- sometimes you need to be reminded that HD actually smiles and it's great.) I wouldn't go so far as to read the source material because I am an incurable book snob (I won't deny it), but I LOVE this movie. I also have a great memory of watching it for the first time a few years ago. (I was dog- and house-sitting for my friends' parents, and they had HBO, which was the jackpot. Nice dogs? Check. Crushed ice in the refrigerator? Check. HBO? OMG ... I hadn't been so excited to stay in on a Friday night in a while.) And funnily enough, my parents like this movie, too. Weirdos.

Anyway, that does it for this post. I meant to post Skinny Dipping today, but there was a problem with the phone I use to take pictures, and I had to push the post back again. Don't worry, though. It'll be up before Friday! Thanks for reading, and thanks for putting up with me. October has been so difficult and ridiculous, I'm hoping November will be much easier for me!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie! Bet it looks awesome on you, too.

      Delete
  2. I was super disappointed with the Nordic collection, so much so that I didn't even bother purchasing anything from it. I'm sure that come Summer 2015 I will have a crippling attack of non-buyer's remorse and get a few, but for now I'm just eh. However, this polish looks stunning on you...I'm seeing warm, glow-y goodness!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Against my better judgment, I did the Ulta B2G1, so ... yeah. They'll be core for at least a year, so no need to worry about snapping them all up now!

      Thanks, Ginger! It's fantastically glowy. And it looks baller with navy. Just sayin'.

      Delete
  3. Your swatches look lovely, it even gets me to consider With a Nice Finn-ish..... It could be nice, I certainly see that it looks fab with navy (and I wear lots of navy)..... I just keep seeing frost: I need to see the bottle in real life I guess: that might help! I own My Dogsled is a Hybrid (love that colour), Going My Way Or Norway (kinda like that one), How Great is Your Dane (like) and Do You Have This Color In Stock-Holm? (bit of a disappointment).
    Spring theme with OPI is going to be Hawaii, at first glance it looks lovely at second glance it's all done before bij OPI (and recently as well) *sigh*
    What do you think of the Christmas collection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Sorry it took me forever to reply to this comment! I'm not going to lie, this polish borders on frosty, but because the color is so warm and not your typical bronze/gold, you won't even care. ;) Ooh, Dogsled looks great on everybody! I admit the Nordic colors are pretty dupable, but I have 6 (including this one and Dogsled), so ... yeahhhhh.

      I scratched out most of my Christmas collection lemmings early, and while I think this collection is kinda tame and red-heavy, OPI *DOES* know how to make a good red. I am in love with the colors I chose, though. :)

      Any thoughts on the OPI 50 Shades of Grey collection? LOLOLOLOL.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.