Friday, October 17, 2014

Shopping My Stash: Occult-ober

WE'RE BACK! As you know, I've been super busy, and I had to ask Steff if we could push the October edition of SMS back a week. We blogged a generic Halloween theme last year, so I think we both wanted something a liiiiittle different this time around. My sister and I recently marathoned the entire first season of "Sleepy Hollow" on DVD, so I had witches on the brain when I texted Steff about SMS. Our theme for this month is the "vaguely occult," which I was super excited about -- different, but it also falls under the Halloween umbrella. WIN!

Enter Orly Buried Alive, which also works if you follow "Sleepy Hollow." That show ... I can't even. So ridiculous. So wonderful.

I think this actually looks a little bit darker in real life, but who knows, it could be me just getting tired of looking at the same pictures on a monitor. LBR, I don't know if I could tire of looking at this polish. It's so great.




Three coats with SV.








THIS POLISH, Y'ALL. SO FALL. SO SPOOKY. SO BEAUTIFUL. As this dried, I stared at my hands and wondered just why I hadn't brought this one out earlier. (The answer: because I am stupid, THAT'S WHY.) Oh my gosh. Buried Alive has a medium brown base with a molten gold shimmer that gives it a lit-from-within look that I adore. It's an almost magical glow. I also loved that unless I was in super dark lighting, it never looked black. I can't think of a skin tone this would look bad on, really.

I had no issues with formula, application, or dry time, either. I will note that the depth of this color builds up after two coats and looks amazing at the third, so slap that third coat on. Trust. I wore this for a day so I could get pics, but you KNOW it is going back on my nails again.

Buried Alive was released in 2012 as part of the "Dark Shadows" Orly tie-in. I think there were 3 other polishes in that LE collection, but they all previously released colors that had been renamed. However, I don't think this was the case for Buried Alive, unless it's really Golden Maharaja, which I've never seen in person so don't mind me over here. ;) Whatever Buried Alive is, luckily it's not difficult to buy online, so please do yourself a favor and get it. As Tim Riggins would say, NO REGRETS.

Oh, and CONFESSION TIME: I haven't seen *any* of "Sleepy Hollow" Season 2 yet. I haven't had TIME. I think it premiered the night B and I came home from Cleveland, and although he did pop it up on the DVR, I was more engrossed with reading the rest of Gone Girl because I'd barely looked at it that weekend. (My thoughts on Gone Girl are for another day.) Basically, I only remember seeing two things from the season premiere. One was stupid. The other made me laugh so hard, I might have scared the cat. Anyway, my sister really enjoyed the first season -- although she's seen every other .gif there is and although Orlando "Trollando" Jones came to visit her workplace last year, she'd never actually watched the show. She loves it for the same reasons I love it: Kickass WOC female lead, the fact that the lead male has a photographic memory (swoon) (we're weirdos), Choverlord, ridiculous period costume flashbacks, great guest stars, and totally rando occult and historical stuff. If you watch that show, then you KNOW Buried Alive is the perfect polish for a "Sleepy Hollow" post. :)

What do you guys think about Occult-ober? This magnificent Orly? Don't spoil me in the comments, but let me know whether you like Season 2 of "Sleepy Hollow"! Speaking of "Friday Night Lights," the new recurring blond guy this season = the douchey Habitat for Humanity guy on "FNL" (he seemed douchey to me). Not sure if want. :/

All right, I'm out. I'm going to see B and Mr. Archer today for the first time since we came back from Cleveland ... that's how batshit things have been on my end! I hope to see some of my friends, too. I can't wait to clean out the DVR (this is not a euphemism for anything, I s2g -- where do my RL friends get this stuff??? And yes, I will catch up on "Sleepy Hollow"), drink pumpkin beer, and for Mr. Archer to be snuggly the way that pets can be when it gets colder. All good fall things. You know I'm not big on Halloween compared to, say, Steff or Madeline, but there is a good chance a friend of mine will have a party at the end of the month. We'll have to see. If I don't do a costume, I will at least wear a bold lip. That should freak everyone out because no one has seen me since my new lippie obsession.

I'll talk to you again on next week. Have a good weekend, and don't forget to look at Steff's Occultober pick. It's sooooooooo smexy.

6 comments:

  1. Love this color - looks lit from within. And Sleepy Hollow... I totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! It really does glow. :) (I STILL haven't caught up with this season ... maybe next month ...)

      Delete
  2. The color totally is darker in real life. This is like, the only brown polish I EVER wear. It's gorgeous. This coming from someone who normally hates brown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I love browns, but this color is too beautiful for you NOT to wear. It's the best.

      Delete
  3. Holy shit! Finding your blog is so great ....I can not believe how much you and I have in common! I'm much older, but there are basic elements that make up who we are and we apparently share many of the same elements or at the very least many similar interests. I love ''Buried Alive" ...what an incredible find! It has amazing depth for a glitter polish. I am on the hunt, thanks so much for having fabulous taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thanks so much for the kind words. :) Hope to see you around more here! And yes ... Buried Alive was such a sleeper hit, it's ridiculous. Orly needs to do more of these, yes?!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.