Thursday, November 6, 2014

OPI Deutsch You Want Me Baby?

My social life has been pretty stale for the past couple of months, so I was delighted when my pal Chelsea stopped by two weekends ago on her drive from Nashville to Philly. I had had naked nails for the better part of that week, so yes: I stayed up wayyyyyyyy too late looking for a polish to wear -- to BREAKFAST -- not entirely because I couldn't bear to have naked nails, but partially because I missed the ritual. Does that sound weird? I swear it's true.

And not to make this blog super OPI-centric or anything (I get so bored with blogs that feature the same brands time and again), but there's a reason I keep going back to this brand. Most OPIs have pretty amazing formulas, don't require much fuss, and they dry and wear well on me. (Okay, that was more than one reason.) I've been curious about Deutsch You Want Me Baby? for a long time but I didn't want to buy it; when I saw it on a blog sale last month, I went for it. I think it's nice, just not really on me. I dunno.

NOTE: These photos captured the glow incredibly well, but this is a pinch more of a burnt red IRL than I could manage.




Three coats with SV.








First of all, the name. HA! (But no comma after "Me"?) Deutsch You Want Me Baby? is the perfect burnt red-meets-orange metallic shimmer, significantly more orange than red. It's BEAUTIFUL, as you can see. And THAT GLOW! The formula was impeccable, too, opaque in two coats and just as easy to work with as you could wish for.

I just wish I liked this orange on me more than I do. It's gorgeous, but if I'm being honest, I can't see myself reaching for it again. I mean, Chelsea told me she liked it on me. Madeline also liked it (I texted her a picture of my latest lipstick purchases, Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate Moss in 06 and 10). Deutsch is in so many ways the quintessential fall orange, but it doesn't really work for me. :/ At least I know!

Deutsch You Want Me Baby was released two years ago in OPI's Germany collection. I don't think this particular color made it to the core OPI line, but it's not hard to find if you want it.

Any thoughts on this polish? OPI Germany? Favorite fall colors? Have you been so foolishly vain in your youth to go so far as to paint your nails at ungodly times of night so that your friends would never see your naked nails??? WE'VE ALL BEEN THERE ... RIGHT?

Sadly, my nails also went naked on Halloween. I'd made it as far as double base coats, but I'd had no time to put anything on before I had to leave the house. This was the first Halloween since 2009 that I didn't have OPI Brights Power! on. :( It's okay, though ... I went to my friend Krysi's house and got to have a cozy little Halloween dinner with some of my friends. I also got to meet her new pug, Charlie. His friendliness and willingness to wear a doggie Halloween costume definitely outruled his stinky breath. ;)




A newly-engaged friend of mine is participating in an NIH study in which all her meals are prepared for her. She gets breakfast, lunch, and snacks at NIH, and I think she gets to take dinners home. On weekends, they give her a HUGE cooler of food, which she schlepped with her to RVA from Bethesda last weekend. LOL.




There was SO MUCH FOOD in that cooler, you guys. She says her breakfasts and lunches generally are really good, but she's not a huge fan of dinner. Anyway, I don't know the purpose of this study is because I am a terrible listener when I am surrounded by food and I haven't eaten all day. Herp derp. All I'm sayin' is that the whole thing is pretty interesting.

No one had a party we felt like going to on Saturday night, so B and I went to the drive-in to see what we'd thought was a triple-feature, "The Book of Life," "Gremlins," and "Beetlejuice." Due to the cold weather Saturday night, they only played "The Book of Life," but they still did trunk-or-treating and car decorating for the kids. I did not want to get out of my car, so I rolled the window down and sat with my giant bag of candy in my lap. One mom said what I was doing was smart. Her son seemed to agree, saying, "OOOH! DELIVERY!" B and I were intrigued and amazed by these kids, because they only took 1 bag of candy until I told them they could take two ... and I had the good stuff! The other weird thing was that they all seemed to want the Skittles more than the other candy we had. Are you kidding me?! Skittles are great, but ... M&Ms! Snickers!




Anyway, it was a super fun time. Before the movie, they played "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," which I hadn't seen in a few years, so that was nice. We really liked "The Book of Life" -- if you are in any way an animation nerd/a fan of Ron Perlman/a Dia de los Muertos enthusiast, you will LOVE it. The humor in the movie kind of reminded me of "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" ... if you've seen both "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" and "The Book of Life," let me know if you think this is an apt description.

We got home at around 9, and decided to keep the Halloween movie marathon rolling. I highly recommend both of the following flicks:



MST3K, yassssssss


This look clearly says, "Oh, you have to get up to pee? NOT OKAY."


... that was a nice weekend, especially considering the fact that my ass is so damn broke right now. It was GREAT to turn my brain off for a couple of days, have dinner with some friends I haven't seen in months, have a movie night with B and Mr. Archer, and basically chill out. I need more of that. I do this all the time at home, but I need to be around people. #extrovertproblems November is my favorite month, and this one will be a vast social improvement, so I'm looking forward to it.

K, I'm out. If I can get my act together, I should have a post on Friday; if not, I'll see you guys next week! Thanks for reading.

10 comments:

  1. Gah, your Deutsch You Want Me Baby mani is FANTASTIC! Just freaking gorgeous. Seriously, this polish looks pretty darn amazing on you, even if you're not feelin' it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Deutsch polish and while I really like it too, it chipped very quickly for me, even with orly base coat and SV top coat. OPI is simply the best polish in my book. I don't like Essie polish and Zoya is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! Have you tried using Instant Artificials or Gelous? Those are my holy grail base coats. I get pretty decent wear out of most brands, but I've noticed I reach for OPI the most when I know I'm going to have to keep a polish on for a few days.

      Delete
  3. FWIW I really like this on you too.:) I have this one and several others from the Germany collection, which I think is the last OPI fall collection I was actually excited about. San Francisco? Meh. Nordic collection? Ehhhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! I actually really enjoyed San Francisco ... who knows, maybe Fall 2015 will be so boring, we're going to think Nordic was the tits. LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

      Delete
  4. This is seriously a stunning color. Burnt orange is underrated for sure, both as a fall color & color in general. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼ ☯

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGREED, 100%. If it cooperates with your skin tone, it is so worth the gamble!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE this color on you, but I am biased because I love orange and I think everything looks good on you. <3 And I stayed up until 1am doing my Halloween mani, just because I'm known as that girl with the cool polish and I felt like I had to deliver! Blargh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! <3 I love orange, too, but some of them look better on me than others. ;) 1am??? Oh my God. I think I was up until 4 a.m., but my sister was baking cookies for my parents to take overseas with them and we might have had a 3 a.m. Kylie Minogue dance party. /cool story bro

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.