Thursday, November 27, 2014

OPI Ski Slope Sweetie + Friendsgiving 2014

Hey y'all, Happy Thanksgiving! I still have no idea what I'm wearing for the weekend ... I got as far as, "I HAVE TO WEAR A HOLIDAY SHADE," and that's it. I'm wearing a holiday texture. Textures are the bessssssst.

Anyway, here's what I ended up sporting to Friendsgiving last weekend. I'd sent Anna a text with a handful of options; although I loved her pick, a red creme, it was too high-maintenance for the spare 20 minutes I had for a polish change. (I find that reds are not the best polishes to use when I'm in a rush.) So I went with the shimmery option in the hopes that it would disguise any imperfections.




Four coats with SV.








When I told Madeline I'd bought OPI Ski Slope Sweetie, she said something like, "Of course you did. You love White Cap." I had to laugh. I do love ChG White Cap, and you know I'm a sucker for white and gold together (where did that come from??!?), I love most OPI holiday collections, and I love Mariah Carey, so this polish had my name all over it when it was released last year. Ski Slope Sweetie is NOT a dupe for White Cap -- SSS has more of a milky base, and the shimmer is not quite as glass flecked as White Cap. It really depends on how you feel about layering versatility -- if that's what you're after, stick with White Cap. If you want a white and gold shimmer to wear on its own, get SSS. If you love Mariah and OPI holiday collections, get SSS. Obviously, you know where I stand. ;)

Formula-wise, this one is pretty good for the kind of polish it is. It has a milky base and is somewhat sheer at one coat. You need at least three coats to reach opacity. I don't know why I used four, though. I guess the better question is why I keep going for that fourth coat when I don't *really* need to. Anyway, I waited two minutes in between coats and dry time was good with SV. I wore this for five days with no tip wear. The only chips I got were from me trying to investigate why the garage door opener wasn't working, and that was on Day Four, soooooooooooooo I'd call that a win.

Ski Slope Sweetie was part of the limited edition OPI Mariah holiday 2013 collection. I have to say I'm loving the name -- I knew it HAD to be a reference to Mariah's many holiday vacations in Aspen! (Now that she and Nick Cannon are done-zo, will she continue to go to Aspen this year with Dem Babies???) I'm pretty sure I got mine at Ulta, but last month I saw a few polishes from this collection at Marshalls and TJ Maxx for way awesome prices, so check there. It's also very ETF online through e-tailers and blog sales, which is nice.

Now for Friendsgiving pics! Once again, my friend Krysi held the dinner at her house this year. There were seven of us this year, including myself, so although we were down one person, we felt we had more of an excuse to tear up some dinner than we did last year (we had six people when her husband came home from work).

Also, EVERYTHING WAS HOMEMADE. FROM SCRATCH. I can't even. Some of my friends are such overachievers. Why are they friends with me??? I'm so lazy.


Broccoli-rice casserole thingy + rolls

"Krysi, where did you get this recipe?"
"Diabetic Living."
*raucous laughter*

Daisy, hoping to score some turkey or bread. She begged shamelessly throughout the evening while her new pug brother snored under the table (which is why I have no photos of him ... I should have recorded him snorting in his sleep, though).

My contribution? This Martha Stewart orange and fennel salad. I cut the bulb all wrong because, ironically, I was not paying attention and talking about "Master Chef Junior." But in addition to being tastier than expected, it was FAST and easy to make -- I would say it took less time to make than it took for me to locate the fennel at Kroger (apparently it's known as anise 'round these parts).

My friend Kristin still is participating as a subject in that NIH study that provides her meals. She ate her provided salad + entree at Friendsgiving, but I think she'll be back with a vengeance when Christmas rolls around.

Table almost ready

COMPLETE SPREAD

My plate, pre-turkey and -salad.


Clearly, the abundance of side dishes we had this year was so ridiculous that we were stuffed BEFORE we got around to the turkey. Oops. --In fact, Kristin's fiance had to stand up, take a deep breath, and lean against the wall for a minute or so after he cleared his plate.

So yeahhhhhhhh, I'll say we did the damn thing. This year's dinner wasn't as pretty or as roomy as last year's, but it was still loads of fun, and OH MY GOD, I was so dumb and ate one slice each of the two cheesecakes Krysi made. One was a Reese's cup thing, and the other was pumpkin ... I thought I was going to have to be strapped onto a dolly and rolled to B's car because I was THAT FREAKING STUFFED.

I was a little worried before I got to her house because (1) I hadn't made the salad yet, and (2) both B and I weren't in the greatest of moods before dinner. Both of us have been pretty grumpy lately for our own reasons; we've been doing the long-distance thing almost as long as we've been 'together,' and my instinct when I actually get to see him is to go full Pollyanna and try to enjoy our time together. Last weekend, however, I was running on empty and I had ZERO fucks to give about a lot of stuff. I'll cop to being fairly churlish. I think we just needed to have a good time, though, because once we walked through the door, I felt a lot better. Everything was smooth sailing after dinner, a real holiday miracle. :) And I got lots of kitty snuggles from Sterling Meowlory Archer that weekend, which I always love, especially as the weather gets colder.

As for Thanksgiving actual, tonight I'm headed across town to my aunt's house. My cousin came home, and she always whips up the usual favorites when he does. Somehow I don't think I'll gorge myself quite as much as I did last Saturday, but that probably means I'll get to drink more of the beer B got me (Bell's White Winter Ale -- I LOVE IT). AFAIK, my cousin and I are going to watch "22 Jump Street" and he claims he's going to put a GoPro on his mom's dog, but we'll see. This will be a quieter night, but I'll take it happily since Thanksgiving 2013 was an unmitigated disaster.

Before I get in the car, let me just say THANK YOU for reading! I know I haven't posted much this year, so I really appreciate that you guys didn't completely abandon me, haha. A huge hug goes out to the real life, blogger, and nb friends who are still pals despite my multiple-text complaints about my current situation -- thank you for still being my friends! ;) I'm actually considering a blogging hiatus, OR, at the very least, bimonthly posts after the holiday season, as things are extremely up in the air at the moment, my time is not exactly my own, and I am really feelin' it. We'll have to see how everything all shakes out.

Once more, Happy Thanksgiving to all my American readers! I hope you have a great one with the ones you love (or an uneventful one with the ones you must). Stay safe through the weather and the shopping crowds, be good, and I'll talk to you in December. <3 In the meantime, feel free to comment on this OPI, whether you prefer SSS or White Cap, your thoughts on OPI Gwen holiday, Friendsgiving, favorite Thanksgiving recipes/traditions/etc. -- spill! It's been a minute. I miss interacting with you!

8 comments:

  1. This is so pretty...I should really pull this one out of my untrieds (which could be said about far too many polishes, ahem). Your Friendsgiving spread looks AMAZING. So tasty. And yeah, I did the long-distance thing before, and it sucks. A lot. So I feel you on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! YES, WEAR IT. IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FREAKIN' PRETTY.

      Dude, Friendsgiving was NUTS this year! LOL, we had so many side dishes that a 20-lb. turkey was sooooooo unnecessary. (Two cheesecakes, though? Absolutely necessary.) Long-distance blows, but thanks to incompatible work/life schedules, it's not like I would ever see him if we lived in the same city anyway. Also, I got attached to his cat, which really stinks because I LOVE THAT CAT SO MUCH (AND ONLY THAT CAT).

      Delete
    2. Ha ha...I like how your bf and/or SMA have converted you. You're "yeah, I miss the bf but OH MY GOD I MISS THAT CAT SO DAMN MUCH." :-D

      Delete
    3. SMA has been very cuddly lately (I think it has something to do with the weather?), so ... yeah ... I'm into it. :) I'll see them next weekend, though!

      Delete
  2. I dithered on this one, and ended up not pulling the trigger, but you are making me have a rethink, darn you! Ha, not really, I could never be mad at you ;) Unless you go on hiatus... no, not even then. You've been pretty candid that times are a changin', and as much as I am sad you might take a break, it might be exactly what you need. Long distance internet hugs!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leissa! Dude, I totally saw this at Target last weekend in an endcap display. *wink wink nudge nudge* But seriously, thank you for the reassuring words. Let's get through the holidays first, and we'll see where I end up! <3333

      Delete
  3. Thank you for clearing up the SSS and White Cap thing: I was wondering for ages if it would be a dupe or not....now I might need to get SSS fairly soon!
    Your orange and fennel salad looks yummy, nice combo with the turkey <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad I could help! Enjoy SSS, you will looooove it. And thank you, you should definitely try making it yourself. I bet you'd like it. :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.