Friday, November 21, 2014

Skinny Dipping (With Friends): Essie Mochacino

Happy Friday, and welcome to my final Skinny Dipping post of the year!

Okay, so here's the deal. I originally planned to have this post up on Wednesday morning, buuuuuuuuut Comcast seemed to have other ideas on Tuesday night and I didn't have time to wait around for it to get it together. Does anyone else hate Comcast as much as I do? I really wish FIOS was an option where I am. :-( Anyway, that was pretty disappointing for me, but not *too* much so, because I'm not crazy about this polish. Spoiler: It's lovely. It's just not me.

P.S. You totally can tell it's fall time in these photos. Although this is a camera phone, I prefer to take photos in natural light; I feel like I've upped my photo game this year, and I've come to realize that overcast days are MY FAVORITE days for swatches because you're not competing with sunlight. Sunny fall afternoons = not the greatest days for swatches, even if they're perfect for just about everything else.

There, now you know one of my greatest ~camera phone photography secrets~.




This is three coats (... maybe?) with SV (definitely).








See? Definitely fall time light, and this color ... eh ... I'm not in love with it on me. Depending on your skin tone, Mochacino could pull taupe or a very warm greige. On me, it leans on the red side of taupe, juuuuuuuuust red enough that I don't care for it. The silver shimmer is gorgeous and very prominent, which I appreciated.

I don't remember too much about the formula, which I guess means it was unremarkable. I DO remember that this goes on sheer-ish, so I used three coats for opacity. And then I zoned out, hence the probable fourth coat. (I really need to start keeping track of this stuff ...) Dry time was fast with SV. Since this was a quick swatch, I can't speak to wear time, but Essies tend to wear pretty well on me.

Mochacino was released in 2011 as an Essie retail exclusive. I have no idea whether it's remained in the core display, but it's not htf online through either a blog sale or an e-tailer. I'm not totally sure how I came about this bottle ... Target would have to be my best guess. You know how it goes, you go to Target for a couple of things and then you end up buying your feelings in $40 worth of stuff. We've all been there.

Although it does kind of blow to end one of my favorite blog features on a "meh" note, I'm actually fairly relieved I can purge this polish from my stash. Holy cats, my purging process has been slower this year than I would have liked. I've been really busy (I am the third busiest unemployed person I know) and although I really miss blogging regularly, it's been quite trying to find the time to do it because there is always something going on.

Like this weekend, although I've got a couple of fun things lined up! Tomorrow I'm going to watch a Met Opera broadcast, but almost immediately after that is our second Friendsgiving celebration at my friend Krysi's house. Our SECOND! I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am for this. The bar was raised pretty freakin' high last year, as you might recall from this photo my friend Phil took just before we ate:





Yeahhhhhhhhhhh. My ever-expanding waistline is kind of dreading tomorrow, but the rest of me is so ready, my friends. SO. READY.

Anyway, this is me. I've got a crapton of things to scratch off my to-do list today, so I'll catch you next week before the holiday. Thanks for reading, and have a good weekend!

4 comments:

  1. My purging process is also going very slowly. I should send you a list of what I'm getting rid of to see if you want any of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I think about it, it probably isn't helping that my stash is GINORMOUS (for me). *sigh* But send me that list sometime, I'll be happy to look!

      Delete
  2. That's a gorgeous color and there's a reason my friends and I call Comcast 'Com(feminine cleanser)'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! Yeah, Comcast is perpetually on my shit list ... my kingdom for a FIOS connection ... !

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.