Monday, January 5, 2015

OPI Fashion a Bow + Holiday 2014

Every Christmas, it happens: OPI releases several reds in its holiday collection.
  1. I pass on one or two because SERIOUSLY DO WE NEED ANOTHER RED?
  2. something (or someone ... *cough* JANICE *cough*) makes me want it
  3. I NEED IT
  4. I can't find it anywhere
  5. I score it at a steeply discounted price
This holiday season, that red was OPI Fashion a Bow. I didn't want Fashion a Bow until Janice talked it up, and then when I went to take advantage of Ulta's OPI B2G1 last month, I realized it wasn't in the display (neither was Love is Hot and Coal), what the blazes??? I resolved to order it online after the holidays, but during a last-minute TJ Maxx visit on Christmas Eve Eve, I found the OPI holiday Gwens for $3.99 a pop.
 
I KNOW. I still can't believe it. It was so surreal to see those polishes at TJ Maxx for $3.99 when they were $9 across the street at Ulta!

So yeah, of course I pounced. And this polish is gorrrrgeousssssssssss.




Three coats with SV.








If you are in the market for a lovely warm red jelly, GET THIS POLISH. It's definitely on the orange side of warm red, but trust me, it's red on the nail. I can't gush over this polish enough. The color was perfect, the application was perfect (barely any clean-up, guys!), its opacity was perfect (you can stop at two coats), and its dry time was perfect. Wear time was about as good as I could have asked for -- I've had it on since Wednesday night and I didn't notice any major tip wear until maybe Sunday morning. Oh, and no chips! I'm pretty happy.

Don't forget to poke around your local TJ Maxx or Marshalls for this polish. I've even seen this polish at Kroger, but it was $8.99 there, I think -- not much of a save, admittedly, but to me FAB is worth it. Because it truly is FAB, of course.

I'm superstitious enough to have continued my NYE tradition of wearing red polish, and I think I can say I loved this one just as much as I loved Essie Silken Cord, which I wore last year. But maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, NYE was such a clusterfuck this year. I had grand plans of meeting my friends at our favorite Irish bar in Richmond to hang out and see the bagpipe players at midnight (basically, what we did last year), only I had a to-do list that was a mile long because I somehow am a VERY Busy Unemployed Person. I got to B's house at 11:29, so we opted to stay in and watch the CNN NYE countdown with Silver Fox and Kathy Griffin. Then we made dinner and watched "Edge of Tomorrow," which I mostly slept through, although I have to say that I really liked what I saw. I even started watching episodes of "Avatar: The Last Airbender," FINALLY! I'm also super excited that I was able to start 2015 by seeing people I've meant to see but haven't in forever; I went to see "Big Eyes" with a friend from my old job (we very much enjoyed it -- Tim Burton, make more movies like this, please!), and I got to hang out with Katie from The Daily Varnish for a little bit yesterday. We had so much fun, and I'm hoping we get to pencil in more hangouts this year. :)

Before I go, some Insta snaps from Holiday 2014:


Black Friday, Rach-style

Annual Christmas Yeti pilgrimage


The botanical garden's 2014 holiday light theme was "a legacy in lights" (before becoming the botanical garden, the land was bought as the grounds for a bicycle club).
According to the press release, more than 500 plastic bottles were recycled and turned into some of the flowers seen here.

B at the botanical garden


A stove simmer I made the night of my parents' early Christmas/32nd? 33rd? anniversary dinner

We're not Jewish but my sister made rugelach anyway. She made two kinds, Nutella and triple berry jam.


The bus line my sister took back to NYC ... we died laughing every time we said its name


I-64 on Christmas Day

My aunt's dog in his Christmas sweater

My aunt and I saw this on Boxing Day, and it wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be. I am not the biggest fan of La Streep (nothing against her, but there are other actresses in Hollywood) although I have to say, her singing was better here than in "Mamma Mia," which, good god my ears are still burning.


A gift from one of my dad's former employees, who I've been spending lots of time with lately


I AM GROOT (<3 B)


Sometimes there are years when your friends just knock it out of the park, you know????? I don't have a picture of it, but my best friend from high school got me a Scotty dog sweater, and it's everything. B also got me an external hard drive for the express purpose of storing nail photos and blog stuff, which I am super excited about!

While I loved all my Christmas gifts and the people who thought of me this past season, there is one present that I think you all will enjoy more than the rest.

Ladies, allow me to present the motherlode.


Krysi DIYed some nail polish ornaments for me! THIS GIRL I SWEAR


CAN WE TALK ABOUT THIS FOR A SECOND?!?!?!??!?!?! Krysi did an awesome job of picking 10 polishes I did not already have, and she gets forever bonus points for including a polish I did not even know existed. (Try to guess which one. And while you're at it, try to guess which one was B's favorite ornament!) I love them all! Anyway, don't hold your breath waiting for me to blog these polishes ... just know I am totally going to be wearing and treasuring them, always. And I can't wait to put the ornaments up on my tree next season. :)

I feel like I glossed over 2014, especially the holidays, which is odd for someone who loves Christmas as much as I do, but I felt it was more important to step back so I could better deal with things as they happened. However, this made what I was able to capture all the sweeter, so I'm okay with it.

This is all I've got for today. Thanks for reading! I hope your holiday season went well (or passably so), and that your return to work and/or school this week isn't too intense. I'll try to have Shopping My Stash up on Friday -- I gotta talk to Steff once I see how Tuesday goes -- but until then, I'd love to hear your thoughts on OPI holiday red regret/lemmings, OPI Fashion a Bow, any movies you saw this holiday, or a great gift you gave or got recently. Let's chat.

8 comments:

  1. Love your polishes and ornaments gift. So clever. We went up to D.C. for Christmas. My husband's brother and his family live there. We had a nice time. We stayed here in Richmond for New Years. Nothing spectacular, but I did cook steak and made homemade Mac 'N' Cheese in my new Crockpot. A Christmas present from my husband.

    I did see the new Hunger Games movie. Not a fan.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had a nice holiday! Mac and cheese is one of my food groups, so I totally endorse that decision. Happy New Year to you & your husband!

      Delete
  2. You know, I had pretty successfully convinced myself that I did NOT need this polish because I need another warm-leaning red polish like I need a hole in the head, but now you've gone and destroyed all my hard work and I ABSOLUTELY MUST BUY IT NOW.

    That is one pretty amazing package. She did such a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love this, then: So, the other OPI red I passed on? TOTALLY NEED IT NOW. Yuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

      I know, right? I'm perpetually amazed at how crafty that girl is, I'm so lucky to have her as a friend :)

      Delete
    2. So yeah, I totally broke down and bought it. And I'm pretty sure I was even wearing RBL Gondoliere at the time, which is nearly identical BUT THAT'S OK. I NEEDED IT.

      Emailed you by the way!:)

      Delete
  3. Dangit, now I want Fashion a Bow! I saw it at TJ Maxx (along with Red Fingers and Mistletoes, which I'm still kicking myself for not picking up, even though I really, REALLY don't need it) and passed,even though the price was awesome...but after seeing your swatch, I might have to stop back in this weekend! Tell me not to, k?

    I'm so jealous of your Funko Pop Groot! I collect those, but my wishlist is so long that I'm almost overwhelmed when choosing the next one to get! I needs the dancing Groot!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GET IT RACHEL

      GET IT

      Oh, he had to order that one on eBay because he couldn't find them in stock at a brick & mortar store nearby! Next on my list is Hopkins!Hannibal Lecter + the NBC Hannibal Wendigo Stag ...

      Delete
  4. Love those Christmas ornaments, awesome! I'm hope you can convince your friend to do a how to post, because I would love to do that for next year! For Christmas this year I wore OPI An Affair in Red Square, which I enjoyed all the way till NYE, then I had bare nails for a while due to HAZMAT NO TIME (my fave Rach-ism, by the way) so my intended NYE manicure didn't actually make it on to my nails until this week (SC Silver Screen topped by NOPI Dazzling with Talent, with accent nails of Love&Beauty Black/Silver, which is a black jelly with teeny tiny holographic bars). But I was admiring red nails on quite a few people this week in various places (at work, on tv, at the drive thru!) so I may have to go with something red for my next one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.