Saturday, January 31, 2015

Skinny Dipping (With Friends): Orly Dare to Bare

Hi! Remember me, the girl who used to write this blog? I feel pretty bad that it took THIS LONG for me to get this post together, but real life is a beast. As a result, my blogging groove has disappeared and it took me FOR.EV.ER. to get pictures I was happy with.

However, this nude polish post came at a fairly good time, because the week before it was supposed to go up, I landed a job interview. While I didn't get the job, the first interview is supposed to be the hardest, so at least I'm glad I got it out of the way, and I identified a few areas needing improvement should I (miraculously) land another interview elsewhere.

But to get back to the business of polish, I'm really glad I do a series on nude colors, because what is more work-appropriate than that? I know Orly does a really inconsistent job with their collections and their marketing is not great, but I feel like they were more on point in 2014 than they weren't. Compared to their Galaxy FX, Baked, and Smoky collections, I think Blush was severely underrated. I have four of the six Blush colors -- I blogged Cheeky last year; today it's all about Orly Dare to Bare.




Three coats with SV.








Dare to Bare has some pink/blush tones in it, but not enough to make it terrible on me. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has fair skin with heavy yellow/olive tones, though it would look gorgeous on just about anyone else. Is there a dupe for this one out there? I don't know, probably, but for the amount you get in an Orly bottle, this one is hard to turn down.

The same thing goes for its formula. It's a creme that's not as thick as most cremes, but not as translucent as a jelly-creme on the first coat, so the coverage and opacity surprisingly were really good for a nude polish. No streaks! Dry time was good with SV, and I wore this for five days with barely visible tip wear and no chips until Day 5, when I decided to put some more air in my tires and it was so cold I couldn't feel my hands and chipped nail polish all over the hubcaps when taking off one of my pressure valves. OOPS.

If you're looking for this polish, the clearance section at Sally's might be a long shot at this point in the year, but you never know -- because that's where I found mine. I knew I needed Cheeky and Naked Canvas from the Blush collection, but thanks to Sally's clearance, I was able to snag this and Flawless Flush for next to nothing during a red tag sale near the end of last year. But if you can't find it in person, check blog sales, destashes, eBay, whatever ... it's not hard to find! And then grab all of my Orly Blush picks, because that collection is so underrated (and work-appropriate), it's ridiculous.

The job hunt isn't going as well as I'd hoped, but I guess not much lives up to the hazy optimism of the holiday season. You know what I mean? I have to be honest, I'm starting to have doubts about my resumes and cover letters on top of whether I'm even applying for the right kinds of jobs in the first place. A majority of my connections are in a field that is not having its finest hour right now, so networking is a bit of a challenge, too. It's hard to map out what you want to accomplish in a year when the thing that you need to hold you down is what is uncertain!

The truth is that it's not so much about me "staying positive" as much as it is about me staying distracted. Apart from job hunting, here are a few other things I've been up to:

  • Trying to come up with and stick to as realistic of a budget as possible. !!!
  • Trying not to get sick. This is a doozy when you don't have health insurance, but you have reactive airway, and it's flu season. (I'm not so much worried about the flu as much as I am worried about what came after it, because last spring's allergies really tore me a new one). This also includes trying to get back on a regular sleep schedule, which is more difficult than it should be. I finally conked out at 7 a.m. on Thursday morning.
  • Trying to find an exercise routine that I don't hate because I hate them all, but not as much as I hate the 25 pounds I gained since 2011.
  • Going back to brushing up on my French (and Spanish ... and Portuguese) on Duolingo. Je mange du beurre.
  • Trying to spend time with my family, because for various reasons, this is an uneasy period for a lot of us.
  • Figuring out how to redesign and restyle my parents' house (and also B's) on a limited budget.
  • Plugging away at my Goodreads 2015/PopSugar Reading Challenge. Last week, I finished Eddie Huang's Fresh Off the Boat (3/53, and "turned into a TV show," respectively). Not only am I looking forward to seeing the upcoming ABC show (despite Huang's reservations) (sidenote: I already love Constance Wu's character) (FEBRUARY 4, Y'ALL!), but I can't NOT read anything written by a fellow child of the [Asian] diaspora. I hope I get a chance to share more about this book later, as I had a lot of feelings about it. So did my stomach.
  • FaceTiming with my sister, her cat, and her roommate's cat. Our longest chat was 6-7 hours. SOMEONE PLEASE HIRE US.
  • Researching sources for 100% cotton yarns and attempting to learn the brioche stitch once and for all. See this cowl? I'M COMING FOR YOU IN 2015.
  • A Twitter friend and I are watching all the Oscar movies nominated for Best Picture this year. I'm 4/8 right now, but there's one movie I have absolutely zero desire to see, so I keep putting it off. Eventually, I'll get around to it. However, I would really love it if two other nominees won.
  • If you've been seen every episode of "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" to date, then you know that Kwazy Cupcakes, the Candy Crush-like game Gina was playing last season, is an actual thing. A real, beautiful, addicting thing. HOWEVER ...
  • For one week, I was trapped in the hell that is Level 29 of Candy Crush. As a result, I don't think my brain is capable of solving any puzzle or problem that ISN'T Level 29 of Candy Crush. B thinks this shows I am persistent, but does not think I should use this as an example in a future job interview.

That's not everything, and there are a couple of potentially huge (not job-related) things coming up, but for the most part ... yeah. I KEEP PRETTY BUSY for someone who doesn't have a job or her own family or basically a life. Sorry, y'all. I didn't mean to go all Pity Party on you! I'm just a little frustrated right now. If you're job-hunting, too, and it's kind of just ... going? High five. I feel you, sister.

Thanks for reading my word vomit. Next month's edition of Skinny Dipping will be relatively on time and less pathetic. :) #dispolishdoe! Hopefully I'll be able to get a post together for next week.


P.S. My dad suggested I start a blog. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ^infinity.
P.P.S. I have never told my parents about this blog. They would judge me so hard.
P.P.P.S. I really need to get it together, but, DUH.

6 comments:

  1. Man, that looks great on you, but UGH would it look horrid on me! My face is pretty neutral, but my hands have a strong olive/yellow undertone that would just not work with this. I really struggle finding a good nude!

    I watched almost all the Oscar noms last year (missed 2), but I don't think I'm going to manage this year! The major theaters here haven't been very good about showing these movies, so I have to rely on the art theater, and they only show once a day for a few days and then it's gone. They got Birdman, The Theory of Everything, Boyhood and Whiplash and as of last week, none of them have showed up at the larger ones. So, I've only managed catching one and a half so far! The Imitation Game was incredible, I really loved it. I rented The Grand Budapest Hotel, but something came up halfway through the movie and I had to turn it off and didn't get a chance to finish it! I'm curious as to which one you don't want to see? My husband went to see American Sniper (though we weren't overly interested) because a friend of his didn't want to go alone and said it was much better than he expected, so I may end up renting it when it comes out.

    Good luck with your job search!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I know your feels!!! My face is pretty yellow, but my hands can get so red sometimes, it's ridiculous. But I hope you find your perfect nude soon. (If you haven't tried Essie Cocktails & Coconuts, you should. I think you would like it!)

      "Whiplash" just came to my area, but for a while I was worried that it wouldn't. I'm lucky to live somewhere where I have access to art/international films! I saw "Birdman" on impulse last month, and I'm so glad I did (my sister and I really like Inarritu). Not a fan of Benadryl Curdlesnoot (ty, BC Name Generator), but even MADELINE enjoyed "The Imitation Game," so I'll have to drag my dad, I think.

      Thank you for the good vibes on the job hunt! <3

      Delete
  2. This looks great on you - good luck with your job hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, sorry life is being so un-fun right now. I have a couple of friends who have been looking for work for awhile and it's tough. I'm hoping things will pick up for you as 2015 chugs along.

    This is a pretty nude polish though. Every time I see Orly swatches I remember how underrepresented they are in my stash.

    Also, I emailed you awhile back and was wondering if it made it through to you. If it's just life stuff getting in the way, no worries, just wanted to make sure you got it, since my phone was doing funny things with email around the time I sent it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl, I just emailed you back because I am the woooooooooooooorst. [/Jean-Ralphio]

      If I had the time, I would do another week of Orly polishes like I did in 2013 because I love them THAT much. I'm not kidding.

      But seriously, thanks for all the support and good vibes from up north! Sometimes I don't want to talk to my friends because I feel like all I do is complain about this, so I hope I'm not completely alienating my readers. Thanks for rooting for me. :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.