Friday, February 13, 2015

Shopping My Stash: Boos Choose

I love Valentine's Day because it is THE optimal holiday for puns. Last year, Steff and I had a generic Valentine-y SMS theme; this year, I got the harebrained idea to have our significant others pick our polishes.

Once again, I failed at my own prompt. In all honesty, I don't think B particularly cares what's on my fingers as long as they don't continue to smell like polish. We were watching TV one night recently and I was massaging his scalp when he started sniffing the air and said I still smelled like polish. (Really, dude? Six years, and you're gonna comment on it now?) Anyway, I mentioned this theme to him last week and I was so tired at the time that I think he said, "Wear a Valentine color!"

"Riiiiiight," I said. "Another Lippmann it is, then." (... and then the conversation devolved into the topic of stupid nail polish names. Typical male.)

You wouldn't know it due to the lack of activity on this blog, but I'm actually pretty deep in a Deborah Lippmann phase that started sometime near the end of last year (I actually wore a Lippmann last weekend). Like, I LOVE Lippmann. The formulas generally are impeccable, my body chemistry agrees with them, and when I can get DL on sale, I love them EVEN MORE. Sure, I had a bunch of options for this SMS since DL polishes are named after songs, but given my relationship history, I really only had one choice.




Three coats with SV.

And don't worry, I have every intention of reswatching this. Weather is weird and so is my phone cam and I don't understand what is going on with top coat on my ring finger. Are those bubbles? What the HELL?!








Put your hands up if you're into this polish! Dear gawd. It's been a minute since I've worn a vampy jelly (the last one I wore was a Lippmann, too), but when I put these suckers on, I ask myself why I don't just wear them all the time. Contrary to these brown photos, Single Ladies is a deep red jelly, opaque at three thin coats. I don't know of any dupes for it, but if you don't feel like shelling out for Lippmann, there are a bunch of great options at just about any price point.

This was released for Fall 2011, but I didn't acquire my bottle until February of last year -- there was a crazy awesome Beauty Brands sale and I ended up buying this (and 7 other Lippmanns) for $6.99. I KNOW, RIGHT? Again, if you're a hardcore Lippmann stan, this may be worth a full price splurge, but if you can't ball like that, keep your eye out for a good deal. They're out there, I promise.

Not only do I love this polish because of my aforementioned feelings about the DL brand, but DL Single Ladies also reminds me so much of all the great things going on in my life circa late 2008, which is when I started getting into polish. I loved vampies, and the first polish I ever bought was a vampy similar to this one (albeit less red and slightly more berry). Plus, "Single Ladies" was an annoyingly popular song at the time***, which also was around when I met B.

Speaking of B, tonight makes exactly six years since we first went out for a drink, which fell on a Friday that day, too. Barring the weather and his work schedule tonight, I think we'll be stopping by that bar later for old times' sake and a quick drink. Will I be drinking any long island iced teas, like I did then? I highly doubt it. Will I go home with him, like I did then? Yes, probably. Haaaaaaaaa.

Thanks for reading Shopping My Stash! As soon as time and weather cooperate with me, I swear I'll fix this month and last month's SMS pictures. They're so janky. :( Also, Steff's post accidentally went up last night, but if you haven't had a look at Ben's Valentine-y selection, check it out. I already have a slightly zany idea for next month's theme ...

Happy Galentine's Day to all my ladies for today, and if it applies, have a happy Valentine's Day tomorrow!

And now,






*** I had a few coworkers who ran this song into the ground, which had me hating it even though it's a total bop. Also, a college friend of mine danced to this song as part of his campaign for homecoming king, so ... there's that. And yes, he wore the leotard.

P.S. Is it really necessary to play this song at weddings whenever the bride tosses her bouquet? WE GET IT.

P.P.S. The line about Dereon jeans still makes me cackle like a hyena. I spent wayyyyyy too much time in ONTD comment threads, hahaha.

2 comments:

  1. I too have a deep love for Lippmann polishes, for many of the same reasons as you: great formulas, work well with personal body chemistry, and I really like the brush. Although they basically never go on sale here, I feel that her more unique colours are worth the splurge. Heck, I've splurged on a number of not-so-unique colours too because I know I'll wear and love them and because Lippmann. Love Single Ladies...so very shiny!

    My VDay mani this year was Chanel Fracas, which I love despite the less-than-stellar formula. It was a VDay gift from my bf a few years ago so I felt it was apropos.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yassssssssss. What's your favorite Lippmann? I think she does the creme/jelly-creme finishes really well, although most bloggers don't seem to love them as much as they love her glitters. It turned out that Single Ladies was super shiny for a couple of days but thanks to a freakish weekend of using my hands as tools, it dulled and the tip wear was gross (to be fair, tip wear with vampies irks me more than other colors). I only suffered 1 chip on my thumb (the casualty of a hoodie zipper fail), so that's not too bad.

      LOL, Fracas for Valentine's Day, #iseewhatyoudidthere and I love it.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.