Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Birthday blue: Sally Hansen Triple Shine Wavy Blue

Uhhhhhhhh, so this blue, y'all. I love it so much that I wonder what other goodies SH's Triple Shine line might have in store.

Also, this might be jumping the gun a little, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to post again this week or next because #weddingseason and I don't have anything ready. So I'm hoping these pictures will, at the very least, be worth it. I haven't taken NOTD pics in, like, a month. I gotta find a new groove!




Three coats with SV.








A while back, I'd picked out a polish that I knew I wanted to use for my birthday nails. Last month, I even put that polish on my bed to remind me when I got back from my travels ... and then I forgot about it when I sat down to do them. So I grabbed a few sapphire blue options, texted them to Anna, and let her pick. Good thing, because DID YOU SEE THESE PICTURES?!?! Wavy Blue is somewhere between cobalt and sapphire, which is pretty great. Some of you might be disappointed to learn that the light pinky-purply duochrome you see in the bottle dies on the nail, but the glass fleck finish is so damn good that I don't mind that at all.

Formula and application were pretty good, too -- my bottle had been sitting around for a while, so I did have to roll it briefly to mix everything back up to the desired consistency. Other than that, it was so easy to work with. Although the glass fleck wasn't overly jelly-based, I wasn't satisfied with opacity until the third coat (the Ott Lite makes things look harsher than they are ... I wonder what this would have looked like if I'd stopped at two coats). Dry time was pretty fast even without SV, so I didn't have to wait an aggravatingly long time between coats. I didn't mind the paddle brush so much so that I don't think I'd have cleaned up around my nails if I hadn't taken pictures for this blog! I wore this for 5 days with no chips and verrrryyy minimal tip wear. (I doubled up on base coat, if that makes a difference, so I did Instant Artificials + Gelous.) I like this so much that if I were traveling for an extended period, I would take this polish along FOR SURE.

If memory serves, the Triple Shine line debuted near the end of 2013. I'm so freaking pleased with Wavy Blue that (1) I can't believe it took me this long to try it -- thanks, Anna! -- and (2) I wonder what else I've missed from Triple Shine. If you want this polish, it's readily available online but I have no idea what the deal is with Triple Shine in B&M stores because some may have them and some may not ... I remember seeing a bunch on clearance somewhere earlier this year, but I'm blanking out as to where exactly. Anyway, as much as I love this, I don't think this is worth more than $5. Hell, $4 is pushing it for 0.33 fl oz, because you can get a SH Xtreme Wear for anywhere between $2 to $3.70 for 0.40 fl oz, y'know? I don't even remember when I got this, only that it was in the core line at CVS and I probably paid full retail because I'm weak for glass flecks.

So, good birthday polish, y/n? I'm sorry this post was such a doozy -- they say your memory is the first thing to go when it comes to aging. ;) Which reminds me: thank you SO MUCH to all my bloggy friends for the sweet birthday wishes last week! If you have a birthday this month, then I'm sending those well wishes right back at you (my girl Ashley's is today, hayyyyy!).


My dad and I went to see this movie. I thought it was cute and good end of summer fun. One reviewer opined that Guy Ritchie was making style the substance, which I found to be an accurate description, and I wouldn't mind a sequel. (I didn't love the "Holmes" movies so I was surprised that I enjoyed this one.) Still not into Armie Hammer, though. 


I hope 29 is a good year. I REALLY hope it brings me the mythical Full-Time Job (with Benefits!) -- though if I don't find that, I'd be equally happy with a push in the direction of a vocation or trade. Despite all the moaning and groaning I've done in the past year, I know deep down that I'm fortunate to have been able to take my time with the job hunt, but I've been more than ready to get back to work since the spring! I just need someone to cut me a break. My sister got a job offer yesterday (yay!!!) and will start at the end of this month? the beginning of next month?, so I hope it'll be my turn soon.

Oh, and I just went on 3 trips so not only did I forget how much I love traveling, but I also forgot how $$$ that shit is when it adds up. So in that respect, yes, a job would help me get by and scratch a fair bit off my 30 Before 30 list. (I lost my list a couple years ago, but I remember most of it. I'll have to post it next year and you can laugh at me.)


After traveling practically nonstop for the past 3 weeks, I've stopped back at my parents' for a few days and decided that all I wanted to do since I have no friends here was to order pizza and watch movies. So I made my dad watch this and "Fury Road." Surprisingly, he enjoyed them both. I am incredibly entertained by this because (1) my parents are from another country and although they speak fluent English, they're TERRIBLE with idioms and American regional expressions, which is hilarious seeing as "Clueless" is an iconic and extremely quotable movie for our generation. ;) But even if my parents hypothetically did have a good grasp on all that, (2) they were starting their own business when that movie came out and therefore would have been completely unaware of anything that wasn't business-related. /TL;DR: I can't stop laughing over my dad enjoying "Clueless."


Two of the trips I just took were for bachelorette parties. It was so nice to see my friends, of course, and to meet new girls, but WHOA, did those trips ever remind me that I am eons away from being in any position to get married. There are lots of personal issues at hand, starting with the fact that I'm basically a prize catch right now (i.e., useless bachelor's degree + no job) and can't support myself, which isn't great for the ol' morale. For another, my parents were in their early 30s when they got married because of their jobs; when I was little, I always assumed that if I got married, I'd follow their lead. With 30 coming up next year, I'm bugging. I know it's not like there's a switch that magically flicks on when you hit a certain age, but I'm bugging anyway. Also, I haven't made up my mind about whether I want my very own uterine parasite(s), which would be good to know because that would help me settle other ~important issues such as where I am on religion, what I need in a partner (apart from his full relinquishment of the DVR), etc. Oh, and I'm terrible at meeting guys. Where would I even???

So ... I have a lot to think about when I eventually decide to start thinking seriously about it. I suppose the best thing I can do is to keep my eyes and my heart open and hope I don't miss anything. But I can worry only so much, and while keeping it 100 at all times is important, I reeeeeeally think a great job would do wonders for me. (So would a puppy.) Come on, 29. Please, please, please be my year! #cleareyesfullheartscantlose

TL;DR: I'm old and I need to get it together. What do you think, is Wavy Blue a good birthday blue? I've really got to post my original choice! Do you have any favorites from Triple Shine line? Anyone doing anything fun this week/weekend? (I'd ask if you're binging on the new season of "The Mindy Project" on Hulu, but it's going to stick to a weekly broadcast air schedule.) Sorry for freaking out in this post, BTW. Part of the reason I'm bugging is because it's finally hit me that I'm going to see a bunch of relatives at a wedding this weekend -- some of whom haven't seen me in 12 years, nbd -- and I haven't accomplished anything of note in forever ... which would be fine if I had anything resembling a substantial driving interest in something lucrative, and uh, I don't? I hear 30 is the new 20, maybe I'll get my act together in my next decade. Is that how that works? Man, I hope that's how that works. I'm such a mess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for reading! And for the record, I would feel good about wearing this polish to a Dillon Panthers event. Just so you know. ;)

6 comments:

  1. Yeah girl, you are welcome! It looks fab on you =)

    ALSO YESSSSSS COLOR BINGE!

    (can I get a full time job too while we're at it? yeesh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full time jobs should be like Oprah's favorite things. Everyone gets one!

      And hnnnnng, I didn't think I would be at all into Color Binge. I GUESS I WAS WRONG. Blaming you. ;)

      Delete
  2. Great sapphire birthday month polish! I don't have this one, but I do have China Glaze Blue Year's Eve, which I've worn on both my birthday and on NYE :) I think this one might be a little deeper, darker, or something. Cheers to another year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, Blue Year's Eve is GORGEOUS, good choice! I wonder if the base for this one is a little more creme than jelly? (that *might* be where you're getting the deep, dark vibes, idk) Thanks for the bday wishes, lady! Hope your year is great, too.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the birthday shout-out! I'm with you - it feels so scary to have 30 be so close, when it seems like it should be a pivotal year, but at the same time, people who graduated college when we did have gotten the short end of the stick economically ever since, so I'm trying not to be too upset with my lack of career/life accomplishments. For now I'm just focusing on great polish and living my life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, yw, girl! I wonder if this is the year I decide to get over my fear of math and go back to school? (Probably not.) I'm just frustrated because I've never really had direction -- which is great when things go awry, but annoying when you need to come up with a new plan. Oh well. Let's just look out for each other <3

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.