Monday, October 5, 2015

China Glaze Tongue & Chic

Still in "YAY, FALL" mode, even if the leaves haven't changed yet and it's been pouring rain almost every day for a week. Hope all of you close to the coast are staying safe, dry, and hurricane-free!

Last week, I got a little overwhelmed trying to choose an old China Glaze fall polish to wear because they're all fantastic, so I did what I usually do: I had Madeline choose one for me. Since she's really feeling vampy shimmers -- at least, that was the case last week -- this polish from the 2013 Autumn Nights collection was her pick. I call the Autumn Nights collection "Vintage Vixen, Part II" because that's essentially what it is. I haven't worn a vampy shimmer in forever and ohmygod, the jewel tone-ness of it all ... I'm into it.




Three coats with SV.








That "lit from within" glow, DAAAAAAAAAYUM GIRL. It's so much prettier than my pictures show, I promise. To my eye, Tongue & Chic leans closer to the blue side of teal -- it actually reminds me of a flower girl dress I wore when I was 8. (I wish I had a picture of that dress. You would never believe it was made by hand and not bought in a store -- my friend's lola was an amazing seamstress!) Anyway, I have so much appreciation for a blackened shimmer that isn't *too* black; from far away, you can see that this polish is quite teal. It's not a dupe for China Glaze Emerald Fitzgerald, which is more green and contains comparatively larger shimmer particles. My bottle of EF lives with Anna now, but I think this color suits me better because I feel like it's a little brighter.

Tongue & Chic was incredibly easy to apply! I'm echoing all the other bloggers out there who say that you can get this opaque in ONE coat if you're careful, but I did three out of habit. (Plus, you never know how things are going to photograph.) The formula is nice and thick and won't pool or flood as long as you wait a minute between coats, which brings me to say that this does dry pretty fast even before top coat. I like to give polish some time, though, because I'm super paranoid. Dry time was so, so quick with SV and I wore this for four days with no chips and minimal tip wear; I would have wrapped my tips, but I'd trimmed my nails down too far to wrap them before I put this on. BTW, when you remove this, make sure you've (1) put on double basecoat beforehand, and (2) have some Orly Cutique on you, because it might be stainy.

Oh, almost forgot one more thing about the formula, and that's that it totally smells like blue. (I think I need to make "smells like blue" a new tag on this blog.) On a scale of "mild" to SH XW Pacific Blue ... nah, I'm just kidding. ;) But that smell is definitely there, so if you hate it, you've been warned!

I don't think Tongue & Chic is a core retail China Glaze, but you'd easily find it online or at a beauty supply/dusty with an extensive ChG display for less than $5. If you like vampy, blackened shimmers, I heartily recommend it! I usually like my shimmers to be significantly more "WHAM POW HELLO THAT'S BRIGHT AF" but there's something to be said for blackened shimmers, especially when China Glaze makes so many good ones.

What do you gals think of Tongue & Chic? Do you prefer blackened shimmers or brighter ones? Should I blog more fall jewel tone polishes? More of my Autumn Nights/VV, Part II stash???? You should leave a comment with a suggestion, and then Madeline can pick out another one for us. ;)

Thanks for reading! Hoping I can get another post up before the end of the week. But seriously, tell me what to wear. The indecision is so real.

16 comments:

  1. Wear black pants and a sage green long-sleeved v-neck t-shirt with a silk scarf or a loose linen jacket in a golden brown. How'd I do?

    Like you, I usually prefer shimmers in medium-toned, saturated colors but a darker shimmer feels especially elegant and appropriate around this time of year. I've got a blackened violet shimmer on my nails at the moment and it is just so right that it's making me think I'm a genius for wearing it. That said, your manicure and photos of Tongue & Chic took my breath away. Gorgeous! So gorgeous, in fact, that I went and hunted it down on ebay and bought it just a minute ago, completely and utterly enabled by YOU. Heavy lies the head that wears the crown, Rach.

    I remember being awestruck by several of the polishes from that CG collection (those foils!), so much so that I never was able choose which ones to buy and ended up with none of them. I'm easily overwhelmed like that, and it interferes with my ability to calmly evaluate large mainstream collections. I don't have this problem nearly so much with indie collections. I don't know why that should be, either.

    My favorite blackened shimmers have to be the reds and related reddish shades.

    The hurricane-related lowered barometric pressures have a euphoric effect on me so I'm loving the hell out of this gusty wet weather! Carry on, Joaquin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I should have specified that I was indecisive about which polish to try next ... but that's one heck of an ensemble, Liz! :)

      I can't remember if you blogged them (probably not, you've got a good little indie thing going), but if you want more saturated shimmers, the LE OPI Venice blue shimmers are BEAUTIFUL. If you don't have them, you NEED to get them! How's that for enabling? ;)

      Thanks for saying such nice things about my phone pics! Please blog Tongue & Chic when you get it. I'm sure you'll make it look beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Oooooh I may have to snatch this one up, although I seem to like dark colors more in theory than actually on my nails (plus it might be too close to butter LONDON's Bluey, which I already own?). This one looks awesome on you, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh daaaaaaaaaaamn, I forgot about Bluey. I have a suspicion it's not quite so blackened as this one and that it (Bluey) has larger shimmer particles, but now you've got me wanting to dig it out to make sure.

      Thanks, girl! <3

      P.S. And you should snatch this ChG up when you can, IIRC it was in the ChG display at Nail Polish Disneyland. ;)

      Delete
  3. Ooh this is really lovely!! I don't think I have anything from this collection, might have to have a little look on eBay! Yes please post more! I've been ignoring my shiimers in favour of cremes for a while, I think it's time to go back to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katherine! Something about Halloween is really making those shimmers appeal to me right now. I'll try to post more of them -- two years later, I think Autumn Nights was a pretty underrated collection! :)

      Delete
  4. Love this! I actually liked quite a few from this collection, especially the jewel tone shimmers, but limited myself to only two, Strike Up A Cosmo and Rendezvous With You. I alllmmmooosst got this one too, now I'm thinking I'll have to shop my stash for something similar to quash my lemming...or I might actually have to hunt it down. We'll see if the sensible side or the hoarder wins out! I would love to see Rendezvous With You next, or one of the other shimmers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, so I shopped my stash & found Sinful Colors See You Soon, which I'm not actually sure how close, colorwise, they are; but for a regular person non blogger, I had to make it work, Tim Gunn-style, y'know? :)

      Delete
    2. I can't remember if I have Strike Up a Cosmo or Rendezvous With You, but whichever one I have, I'll blog it when I get the chance. :) Also, I recently found Don't Make Me Wine, the magenta shimmer, for $2.99 at TJ Maxx ... so there IS hope!

      Delete
    3. And I just Googled that Sinful polish -- I forgot all about that one! I think it might be a little different because of the microglitter, but the color is pretty much right. Way to shop your stash. High five!

      Delete
  5. Okay, I freaking LOVE this. I hemmed and hawed about getting it when this collection came out and finally talked myself out of it, but you are making me regret my self-restraint.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I *almost* picked up this polish for you when I was shopping but then I put it back because I wasn't sure if it would be TOO dark. Faaaaaaaaiiiiiil. :( :( :( :( I'll remember it for next time!

      Delete
    2. Your intuition is so good.:) I actually like these kinds of colours for fall/winter (my Thanskgiving mani was Essie Sable Collar). I tend to be oddly seasonal in my colour cravings. As soon as the cold weather hits, I'm all like "jewel tones! smoky colours! dark nails!"

      Delete
    3. HAAAAA. I just pulled up the WL you sent me, and oh hey, Tongue & Chic. DOUBLE FAIL. :(

      My friend gave me ChG No Peeking last Christmas, so I'm pretty excited to whip that out this coming holiday season.

      Delete
  6. crap. I need this. and finding it is going to be a total pita. online shopping is a total nope right now, because if I go for one thing I end up with 47. insert side eye emoji.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry! I totally understand though -- the "money flying away" emoji is all of us.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.