Thursday, October 22, 2015

OPI Viking in a Vinter Vonderland

Yup, still loving vampies and fall colors over here. Anyone else?

Slowly but surely, I'm making my way through my OPI Nordic picks. I stand by my original assessment of "OPI wasn't even trying with this collection," so I don't own much. Don't get me wrong, the formulas for the three I've tried have been fine ... but the overall selection of colors and finishes was a let down. (Then again, I actually rather loved OPI San Francisco, so maybe don't listen to me.)

ANYWAY, I didn't want to do my nails last Saturday until I knew which dress to wear to my friend Kristin's wedding. After much deliberation, I polled Madeline and Anna, who both picked a blue dress, which meant purple nails. I had no particular reason for choosing this OPI except that it was on top of my headboard and I didn't have to dig through any boxes and Helmer drawers. I was running behind on time and with less than 20 minutes before B & I had to leave, I did the fastest, shittiest manicure possible -- not that my friends noticed, because this polish was great.

Also, how ridiculous is this name? Good lord, OPI.




Three coats with SV.








As almost-black purple cremes go, Viking in a Vinter Vonderland is slightly more purple than black. You won't be able to tell under the dimmest of lights, but otherwise, I swear this is purple. I tried holding my hands up next to my black and navy clothes to see if there was a discernible difference, and, well, seasoned lacquerheads certainly will see it. Nail polish noobs and colorblind boyfriends, probably not so much. Also, last year Michelle at ALU said this polish was the bluer counterpart to OPI Siberian Nights (another one of my all-time favorite fall vampies!), which is pretty legit; if you don't believe us, you can look at this Beautygeeks post.

The formula on this one surprisingly was a little on the thin side, completely throwing me for a loop because I assumed it would apply like a straight up creme. But it looked terrible at one coat, kind of like how vampy jellies look when you put on the first coat. The second coat was an improvement, but it still looked patchy, so I waited as long as I could stand to wait before adding a third. Strangely, that third coat irked me because I was not expecting to have to deal with something like that while also having a serious time constraint! #firstworldproblems #whatistimemanagement Dry time was fine, I guess; I definitely kept my hands stuck out of my open car window on the way to the wedding just to speed it along.

In the end, this polish is good for what it is, but honestly, if you're looking for a no-frills purple vampy creme, you can skip it. Now that I know what to expect, I won't be reaching for Viking in a Vinter Vonderland when I'm in a pinch! If you want it, though, I don't think Ulta sells it any more; you might be able to find it at a beauty supply with lots of OPI and definitely online. I'm 90% sure I got this last year when Ulta was having an OPI B2G1, which they seem to be having now -- so grab some LE OPI Starlight while that sale's on! (There are four? five? Starlight polishes I'm eyeing, but I'll wait until TJ Maxx has them.)

If you follow me on Instagram, then you've already seen a few pictures from wedding weekend. I'll share them again here, plus a few more. :)

The night before the wedding was the night of the long-awaited John Waters live performance of his one-man show, "This Filthy World." It was so cool to see that the event was sold out! The show was followed by a brief Q&A, a book/DVD/whatever signing, and a midnight screening of "Cry-Baby." It was really cold outside and the line was like two hours long, so I said, "Fuck it" and decided to stay inside to watch "Cry-Baby" instead. If the weather had been a little warmer, I think I would have stuck it out and gotten a signed copy of Carsick or "Cry-Baby." Oh well, John Waters is a national treasure and I'm just glad I got to go see him. :)


No photos were allowed at the show, but trust. If he comes to your city, you've got to go. Bring your mom.


The next day, I made the mistake of sleeping through my alarm, which is not at all ideal when you think you might need extra time to get somewhere you need to be. Oops.


SMA didn't want to help me pick a dress. Thank goodness for friends you can text to make your decisions for you!


But (for God's sake) B & I made it to the church on time. How much time, you ask? Let's just say he was able to put gas in his car while I slipped in to Sephora for an emergency mini-makeover (I always choose the winged eyeliner because I haven't been able to do it successfully on days when I actually need to be in public, what is with that???).


Awww

A really cute pic I got of the bride & groom during Mass


First dance, John Legend's "All of Me"
(I'm sorry but when I hear "All of Me," I just think of the Steve Martin/Lily Tomlin movie, which is THE BEST and I think I need to watch it soon)

WEDDING PIE! I think this was the chocolate chess. There were three other mini-pie flavors to choose from: pumpkin, apple, and pecan. I tried all but the apple, and they were so good! I joked with B that this is the one year he gets something other than cake at a wedding, because we had donuts at Anna's wedding in May.

Kristin's dance with her dad


This is probably one of my favorite things that happened that night. Our friend was pouting because he didn't have a date and therefore he had no one to dance to Sade with, so our best friend's husband volunteered. I don't have pictures of it, but the groom also danced with him, too. I'm dead. This is totally gonna be my #tbt next year.

Our best friend/matron of honor doing her toast


All in all, I'm happy to say that the last wedding of the year was a blast. The Mass was lovely (and oddly, not interminably long), Kristin's flowers were perfect, the pie was DELICIOUS, the bourbon was flowing, and the bride was so adorable and happy. The only problem (aside from the DJ denying my Hall & Oates request) was that I was still hungry after the reception, but that was an easy fix. We got Our Table at our favorite bar, and I pretty much murdered a burger and my shandy. We were all really fucking tired, though -- the wedding was at 2 o'clock that afternoon, the bridal party had been up since God knows when, and I'd been out the night before, so we *barely* made it to midnight. I'd gotten a hotel room in anticipation of what I thought would be a night of heavy drinking, but even though I didn't drink much, B & I hoofed it back to our room and passed out right away.

I didn't sleep well, though, because I think I'm getting sick. NOT COOL. When we checked out, I suddenly came down with ... an intense craving for breakfast food, which I *never* have during breakfast hours. I made B drive me to IHOP, where I devoured the pumpkin pancake combo and an entire pot of coffee.




That hit the spot so hard that we spent the rest of the day watching shows on the DVR and we didn't eat again until maybe 7? 8? when I decided I needed soup and a salad from Panera. Also weird, because I NEVER want Panera. I don't know. Maybe it's the end of days. Shit, next I'll probably want to get married. JUST KIDDING! But it was nice to hang out with B and Mr. Archer, because I haven't really hung out with them in a couple of months. Everything has been so touch and go because I've been traveling for bachelorettes and family weddings! There are, however, no weddings on my docket for 2016, so at least I'll have some time to get my liquid eyeliner game on fleek. ;) #priorities

So that was a lot of fun. I can't wait to see the newlyweds next month at Friendsgiving! Also, this post reminded me that I didn't post anything from the family wedding I went to last month. Eh, if I get to it, I'll get to it. You guys probably have seen Essie Color Binge a million times by now.

Before I go: Do any of you guys have this OPI? Since I had a bit of a learning curve with it, I'm especially curious to hear what you have to say. A year later, does anyone else think that OPI Nordic was a snooze? I only picked up 3 OPI Venice polishes, but I think eventually when funds allow, I wouldn't mind having more. Lastly, if you've had a wedding dessert other than cake, you should tell me what it was! My friend had cupcakes at his wedding three years ago (THREE?!?!), and now this year, I've had donuts AND pie, so I'm all about alternatives. Delicious, tasty alternatives ...

Thanks for reading! Hope you guys have a great weekend. I'm going with my best friend and her husband to see Brian Wilson tonight (OMG, WHAAAAAAAAAAAT) and as long as that happens without me getting sick before/during the show, I don't mind if I get sick tomorrow!


P.S. I saw "Crimson Peak" a week ago. I enjoyed Jessica Chastain it but I didn't love it, so I might have to watch it again later to decide how I feel.
P.P.S. I also watched "What We Do in the Shadows." LOVED IT, it was too hilarious. I'm gonna need that on DVD. #werewolvesnotswearwolves
P.P.P.S. I know we all saw that "The Force Awakens" trailer, so ... thoughts? I really want to not be disappointed, which I think sums up my feelings re: the current state of the "Star Wars" franchise. :/ 

9 comments:

  1. Yeah, this collection was kind of a letdown for me (incidentally, this is how I would describe most recent OPI collections. Hawaii? Meh. Venice? MEH. New Orleans looks kind of promising though, maybe?). I bought one polish from the Nordic Collection -- Skating on Thin Ice-land -- for myself and a friend, purely because of the name, because we had travelled to Iceland together back in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is how I felt about OPI Brazil, but the cremes were just so exceptional that I let it go! Hawaii was meh (but I have a few). I wasn't thrilled with Venice initially, but it's growing on me. As for New Orleans ... jury's still out. I've always liked OPI but they're really not trying at the moment! They need whatever ChG has going for them, because those fall collections are so consistently awesome.

      Delete
  2. How could the DJ deny Hall & Oates? I mean come on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR? Oh well, it wasn't my wedding, so it's all good :)

      Delete
  3. Looks perfect to me for a so-called fast and shitty manicure! Colour is great on you! I havent worn a vampy for a while, must dig one out soon. I only got the minis from Nordic (picked up in TK Maxx which is our version of TJ (I'm in Ireland). From them I've only worn Do You Have This Colour in Stockholm which I loved! Great purple and iirc formula was good though it's hard to tell from minis. I had intentions of doing a gradient (copying an idea from Instagram) with My Dogsled is a Hybrid and My voice is a Little Norse, but haven't done it yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Katherine! I took these photos a few days later. :) I haven't tried the Stockholm color or How Great is Your Dane? yet, but I've heard great things and it's good to know you liked the Stockholm purple, too. I guess Nordic, like Euro Centrale & Brazil, was good if you're looking to fill gaps in your collection or you're new to the madness.

      Delete
  4. My first "fall" color so far this year is OPI Dutch Ya Just Love OPI? (Much as I love OPI, I just cannot with the names sometimes, although I suppose all brands are guilty). Does it even count as fall, since it came out in the spring? It just felt Halloweenish to me. Re The Force Awakens, I second the notion of not being disappointed. I liked the Star Trek movies, so I'm hoping JJ Abrams will do the fans right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, China Glaze has got some real winners, too ... but lately they've been on cutesy side than eyeroll-worthy. :) I love purple for fall, though to be fair, purple is 100% a neutral in my book!

      Ugh, JJ. I'm still bitter about how "Alias" went down. He's good at starting shit and creating hype, but maintenance is not his forte (then again, I am so guilty of this, too). I HATED "ST Into Darkness" as much as I loved the first Trek movie! I want this to be good but I won't be surprised if I don't love it.

      Delete
    2. Ohhhh, yeah, I kind of forgot about how convoluted Alias became (I must have blocked it out, or maybe it was overshadowed by my crushing disappointment in how crazy, convoluted & unfinished Lost turned out to be) but man, I miss me some Victor Garber on my tv! One of my faves! I too loved the rebooted Star Trek, why didn't you like Into Darkness? I don't remember liking it as well as the first one, but I don't remember disliking it...

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.