Thursday, November 12, 2015

Milani Fierce Foil Florence

Originally, this post was supposed to be a "Hannibal" series finale post at the end of August. Clearly, that didn't happen. I thought I'd keep this one in the reserves, just in case I didn't have anything lined up for a while. Friends, that time is now.

So here's a quick look at Florence, one of the LE Fierce Foil polishes Milani released earlier this past winter:




Three coats with SV.








I don't hate it, but I don't LOVE it. It does give good photo, though, doesn't it? I liked the warm apple green color, and I was so thrilled that for once, the gold specks were visible on the nail. *raised hands emoji*

Application- and appearance-wise, it went on more like a metallic shimmer than a foil -- IIRC, it's opaque in two coats (which also happens to be the consensus among us blogger folk). But you know I'm not happy until I slap on three; I don't think the third coat made the color look any more vibrant or rich in the end. I just never know how things are going to photograph, and I'd rather not have a surprise bald patch, y'know? Anyway, the formula on Florence was pretty good. Dry time also was good. All in all, I'm just a little bummed that I don't like it more.

Since Florence and the other Fierce Foil polishes were limited edition, you might have to check blog sales, swaps, or eBay -- but if you'd like to swap for this and Venice, you can e-mail me! :) I only have Milan left to try, but I have a feeling that one's going to be my winner, winner, chicken dinner because gooooooooooold.

If you're wondering why I used Florence for a "Hannibal" finale post, it's because Florence was the setting for the first half of the third season. It was a weird season in terms of structure and pacing, but I don't know what would have improved that. (Also, I cannot handle how handsome Richard Armitage is, ever, so I basically need Jesus at this point.) I'd missed the penultimate episode -- in fact, I still haven't seen it! -- and I was in L.A. for the weekend, but I couldn't not watch the finale!


A photo posted by Rach (@rachtotheizzo) on


Ugh, I don't know why Instagram embeds are so ginormous. But Team Sassy Science FTW! Wish there had been more of them in Season 3. :'( I suppose we'll always have Aaron Abrams' (Zeller) live tweets, though. #hannigetyourgun and #cannibelleoftheball will remain the perfect Season 3 hashtags.

Another observation: The characters' fashions and styling always were incredible, but this season, DAMN DAMN DAMN. I don't know if it was the extra attention I was trying to give this last season or the female characters' arcs this time around, but their wardrobes in particular blew me away. Gina Torres wore a certain dress that made her scenes even more devastatingly gorgeous. Gillian Anderson had some droolworthy Florence outfits (her gowns! That hat!). But I think my favorite was Caroline Dhavernas' cane/blazer/red lip game ... seriously, her red lip game only came in second to Hayley Atwell's on "Agent Carter" for me. LOVED IT.

And of course, at least we got some adorable Funko Pop figures out of this show. Last year, I preordered this one as soon as I knew it was going to be a thing. Madeline disagrees, but *I* think it's precious. I love him.


A photo posted by Rach (@rachtotheizzo) on


SHUT UP, HE'S ADORABLE.

Welp, that's all I have for this post. Thanks for reading! Did anyone else like the Milani Fierce Foil polishes? Did you have a favorite? (Don't forget to e-mail me if you want to swap for this & Venice!) Any other Fannibals gonna miss this beautiful, grotesque horrorshow as much as I will? I don't know that I'd want to see a movie/additional season/miniseries in the future, but I'm looking forward to whatever Bryan Fuller does next because he's a treasure. Apparently his next immediate project is an "American Gods" television show, which, okay, I definitely didn't love the book, but if anyone can make me come around, it's him. He DID get me to love a sharp-dressed cannibal gourmand psychiatrist, after all**. ;)



** And theremin & harpsichord player, calligrapher, sketch artist & painter, art historian, polyglot, accomplished murderer ... the list seriously goes on forever, DAMN IT, HANNIBAL

9 comments:

  1. This must give really good photo, because from where I sit, this looks AWESOME. But hey, why waste valuable storage space on polishes we feel "meh" about, right?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SUCH a good polish!! I just wish it had knocked my socks off, you know? *shrug emoji*

      Delete
  2. What's the green you're wearing in the last pic? Me likey ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey lady, it's SH CSM Grass is Greener from a LE spring? summer? collection this year. If you can't find it at TJ's or in a Target clearance bin, it's floating around on eBay. Loved that green (even if it was stainy) -- I should've blogged it!

      Delete
    2. I finally figured out why I was blah about this color. Because it's so very difficult to compete with this much win: http://www.stuffiswatched.blogspot.com/2013/05/kleancolor-metallic-green.html#comment-form

      Delete
    3. Oh, good callback! That KleanColor was insanely vibrant -- next to that one, this Milani was hopeless. :)

      Delete
  3. Hey Rach! I just started following your blog. I love your reviews and swatches, and find them so helpful. I dig your writing style, and you crack me up! I do have to say that your blog has not been kind to my wallet... ;) You deserve hundreds more followers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm not sure why it says unknown. My name is Danielle, and I am from Canada.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Danielle! Thank you for all the kind words (and for taking the time to leave them)! Glad you found me. I hope you'll enjoy whatever ends up happening here. Sorry about your wallet, though! #enablerproblems ;)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.