Monday, December 7, 2015

Essie Mind Your Mittens

Last week, Anna and I were reminiscing about old Essie winter collections, so I asked her for some suggestions and she came back at me with Mind Your Mittens or Parka Perfect. Then of course I went to Madeline for some input because you know how I do.

YOU GUUUUUUUYS. Why did no one tell me to wear this sooner?!?!? YOU ARE ALL FIRED.

... until the next time I need someone to pick my polish for me. ;)




Three coats with SV.








It wasn't love at first sight for Mind Your Mittens and me because this color is tricky, tricky, tricky. Tricky to capture, and tricky to describe (at least, for me). I wasn't able to coax out its blue or green tones in my photos, but it most definitely is a darkened blue teal -- so dark, I'd consider it a vampy in most lights. When you can get a really good, close look at Mind Your Mittens, you can see that it's the tiniest bit dusty? muted? smoked out?, which is a lovely twist on this blackened teal (very Zoya-esque IMO). I don't think I'm the only who would like this polish even more if it were just a tad lighter and didn't read so dark. MYM is one of those polishes that you'd have to put next to something black to see that it actually ISN'T black; while I enjoy colors like this as much as the next person, a little more color never hurt. Having said that, as great of a creme as this is, I think MYM would be a jaw-dropper if it had been a jelly. YEAH. Think about it for a second ...

Formula, application, and dry time were classic Essie creme, that is, perfect. Well, except for one thing, and that was the slight whiff of pigment that we all know from several blues and purples. It wasn't completely overpowering (I love you, SH XW Pacific Blue, but damn), but it was there. Other than that, though, it was all good. I wore it for three days and it still looked good, so I'm willing to bet it would have looked almost perfect if I'd used Essie Good to Go as a top coat instead of SV.

If you can believe it, Mind Your Mittens has been around for two years now! What the what. I feel like the Shearling Darling collection *just* came out. Anyway, I can't remember whether Mind Your Mittens is in the core Essie display, but it's not hard to find if you want it. I think I got my bottle at TJ Maxx or Marshalls maybe last year? Not sure. Just make sure you like really blackened cremes before you spring for this one! Now that I think about it, the Shearling Darling collection was a lot more cohesive and interesting than last year's Essie holiday collection and this year's ...  I loved Warm & Toasty Turtleneck, so now I need to wear Sable Collar and Parka Perfect for reals.

Any thoughts on Mind Your Mittens? Blackened cremes? Do you like this color as it is, or do you wish it had been juuuuuuust a smidge lighter? What were your favorite polishes or picks from Shearling Darling? Because I'm a little nosy, I'm interested to hear how you think this year's Essie winter collection stacks up against previous ones -- I don't own any of 2015 but based on what I've seen in stores, I think it's already an improvement after last year's. I picked up some of 2014 on clearance but as far as I'm concerned, Jiggle Hi Jiggle Low was the only thing that looked interesting and even that was dupey for China Glaze Gossip over Gimlets, so ... meh. ANYWAY, I'd love to get your $0.02 on this business.

Thanks for reading! I hope you like dark cremes, because I have one more coming up. However, I can't decide if I should I tart it up with a glitter topper -- a little wham! pow! never hurt anybody ... especially not during the holidays!

4 comments:

  1. I am not sure I can get into these vampy cremes. I think I like more color. I recently did a mani with ChinaGlaze sleeping under the stars. It was terrible to work with. Soo runny and flooded my cuticles instantly. It chipped within a day too. Even with SV as a top coat. Also, everyone thought it was black. :( It shows up as a dark shimmery blue duochrome in the bottle. But it doesn't show up on the nail. I am a nail polish noob so maybe its just me.MYM is pretty though. And your application is flawless! So far essie is my fave formula to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vampies were my first love when I started getting into polish, so I have a hard time passing them up. OTOH, I do think some colors would look a lot better if they weren't so dark! (Maybe I'm not pale enough?) I actually have that China Glaze polish, but I haven't tried it yet. No worries about being a noob -- I'm definitely not, and I still suck at finding polishes with shimmers that actually show up on the nail! :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.