Monday, February 29, 2016

Gift of Fab: Misslyn Cosmetics Mannequin

Posting a special pastel for a special day, obvs. I don't know that a Leap Day can be but so special, but whatever. I might as well do it up on the blog because February 29, 2020 is quite a ways away and who knows what will happen?

I know I didn't even begin to scratch the surface that was the box of polishes my Canadian friend and reader Jess sent me last May, buuuuuuuuut you guys! Jess sent me another box at the end of January, full of even more goodies I can't find here in the U.S.A., including a highly coveted Canadian exclusive lipstick (Bite Beauty Candied Maple, omfgggggg). The 2016 Pastel Obsession had kicked in hard by the time the box showed up at my doorstep, so my priority, if you can call it that, was determining whether Jess had included a blog-worthy pastel.

Allow me to introduce Misslyn Nail Polish in Shade No. 568, Mannequin.




Three coats with SV.












Nothing about this polish is particularly "mannequin" to me, except for the part of my brain that dares ask if this is a reference to Kim Cattrall. Again, I say, "whatever." (And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE LET THIS BE A "MANNEQUIN" REFERENCE.)

IMO, this color embodies what I've always thought of as "Statue of Liberty" green. Too gorgeous, yes? It's a little brighter and less dusky IRL than it is in these pics, but that's Nature's Lightbox for you. Anyway, Mannequin's light green shimmer adds some depth?/dimension?/visual interest?/what are words? to a base color I'd categorize more as jade or even seafoam rather than a true mint. I'm happy to report that while the shimmer does NOT die on the nail (yay!), I don't think it's instantly noticeable to the ~untrained eye. I don't have anything like this.

The formula was pretty good on this one. It's opaque in two coats, but I did three out of habit because I thought it looked patchy under my OttLite. The polish is easy to manipulate, maybe a little more watery than I expected (not a bad thing -- just give it some time to dry, of course). The Misslyn brush stem is short and the brush itself is like a slightly moppier Essie brush, if that makes sense. I liked it, though, and I didn't have any issues. It was dry after a few minutes of SV, and I wore it for three days without any chips. I did have some tip wear, but I had just trimmed and filed down my nails, which always messes with my tips. I usually wait another day before slapping on a new mani, but I just could not wait to try Mannequin!

Misslyn is a German brand that arrived last year at Shoppers Drug Mart, a chain of Canadian drugstores. ETA: Jess says this Mannequin was an LE polish (Google came through and now I see it's from last summer's L'Amour Toujours? collection). WTF, this ought to be core! All I can say right now is that if the other Misslyn polishes Jess sent me are as good as Mannequin, then (1) you guys are in for a HUGE treat when I eventually blog more and (2) I am well and truly fucked because I will always want more. Thanks a lot, Jess. ;) (But seriously -- thanks so much, lady!)

Before I duck out, I want to say I've really enjoyed posting this month. Sure, the pastel fever had a lot to do with it, but I think taking a break over the past few weeks was helpful. I never felt that I was forcing myself to crank out an entry, which is one of the best feelings any blogger can have (it's true, ask one).

I'm not entirely sure what's in store for March aside from taxes, spring cleaning, and helping out my aunt who'll be staying with me for a little bit. But I'll do my best to pop in when I can. I hope you will, too! <3.


P.S. In the spirit of Leap Day, Madeline and I watched "Leap Year" two weeks ago. It was as awful as our mutual thirst for Matthew Goode is unquenchable. (So ... infinitely.) But this guy's career, IDGI. I don't think rom coms are for him -- he's perfect for period pieces and for portraying unhinged & menacing characters (e.g., Adrian Veidt/Ozy in "Watchmen" & Uncle Charlie in "Stoker"; I skipped "Self/less" because I heard it was terrible, but I think his character in it fell along these lines). My point is, he's underrated and gorgeous and needs bigger parts in better movies. Yes, good(e).

P.P.S. I've been trying to fill the space/sci-fi TV show hole in my heart since "Battlestar Galactica" ended, and I think I might have found a suitable replacement in "Killjoys." I just finished watching the first season -- last year, I only watched the pilot, then fell asleep halfway through the fifth episode. Uh, oops. I'm always here for action, comedy, a lady showrunner, a WOC actress as the lead, and oh yes, the requisite Ashmore twin. (Shut up, they are adorable. Thanks, Canada!) I guess the only real "thumbs down" I would give "Killjoys" is the dumb way of spelling names, but such is the way of sci-fi, I'm afraid. Anyway, it's a fun show and if you're looking for some lighter sci-fi fare (plus Ashmore twin!), then check this show out. It's cute and I hope this upcoming season will be just as satisfying as the first, whenever it starts up again on Syfy.

8 comments:

  1. Girrrrl...I am so behind on blog reading, my bad! (Life stuff, email coming soon, I promise!).

    Anyhoo, this looks FAB on you and I am seriously kicking myself for not adding this one to my own stash, because it was LE from their summer collection last year. I had convinced myself that I already owned too many polishes in the mint/turquoise/aqua family. Which, on the one hand, is true, but on the other hand THERE'S NO SUCH THING AND WHY DID I NOT BUY THIS??

    So glad you love it though!<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your bad? Nah. If it's anyone's, it's mine, because I have this annoying pattern of going away and then coming back and posting a lot! :(

      Hold up, this was LE?!?! This is so good, it's worthy of being core! And now I feel bad that you didn't get one for yourself, too. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY, JESS. :'(

      Delete
    2. I know, I know...WHAT WAS I THINKING?? I even saw it on sale at one point *kicks self a little harder*.

      The coral Misslyn I sent you was LE too from the same collection, just FYI. :-)

      Delete
    3. OMG, the worst regret! This just happened to me with YSL Peace Green, minus the sale part. "Oh, I have a billion mints, definitely don't need this one!" GDI, YSL!

      Thanks for the tip! I'm looking forward to wearing that coral (and Girly Bits Banana Hammock) once this pastel obsession fades. :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous colour on you, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katherine! I love it.

      Delete
  3. You should watch Orphan Black, if you haven't already. The perfect sci fi show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! I LOVED the first season, wasn't really into the second, and never started the third -- oops, because Season 4 is coming really soon (next week?). I need to get back into it!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.