Friday, February 5, 2016

Pahlish Over the Sea duo (Nov. 2014)

I don't know how or why, but last month, I started jonesing for a pastel manicure. I settled on this Pahlish, mostly because it was sitting right on my headboard and I didn't have to go poking around for it.

A quick rant about Pahlish, which I hate that I have to do, BUT: the pigments in three of my bottles ended up fading and dulling. Those polishes were older versions of Pianos Filled with Flames and Little Caroline, and most recently, Black Lace Elderberry, which was one of my favorites. I literally emitted a Luke Skywalker-worthy "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" when I pulled out my bottle last year, only to find that the purple base had become a watery, murky brown. :( I know Pianos and Little C were reformulated and re-released and I absolutely repurchased those colors last year, but I'm still bummed about BLE because I really did love it and I only got to wear it once. I hope Shannon redoes that one in the future! I've never had a bad experience with Pahlish customer service and I'm sure that if I *had* contacted them, I would have gotten a response, so this is 100% on me. But you know what I mean -- when you buy something like this, you don't anticipate having it go bad on you so soon (if ever).

Anyway, those spoiled polishes made me a bit anxious about the rest of my Pahlish collection, so I've resolved to wear as many as possible in case they end up fading, too. This LE November 2014 duo turned out to be a great place to start, although I only wore Soft and Sweet, the periwinkle speckled creme, as a full NOTD.

First up, here's three coats of Soft and Sweet, plus SV:









I think top coat made this a little more blue than it is alone on the nail, but that's OK. Soft and Sweet is the palest of pastel periwinkle cremes, with some tiny speckled glitters thrown in. I wasn't crazy about the speckled glitters at first because if you don't add the Lights in the Clouds, the glitter topper, it just looks like your polish bubbled. Not my favorite look. Also, this has more of a chalky look before you add top coat, which darkens the polish a bit. But the color was exactly what I was wanted -- delicate and pretty.

The formula wasn't bad, either. A little on the chalky side, but I've dealt with so much worse! I think I had this polish on for something like four days? Can't remember. Tip wear was decent. I had some chips on the third day, though, and lots of cracks around the sides of my nails on the second day, which tends to happen when I do pastels and SV at the same time. Meh to that.

Finally, here's Soft and Sweet + Lights in the Clouds together (with a coat of NYC GCS):









This topper, y'all. Blue (navy/cobalt) and copper? I AM THERE. The formula was so much better than I expected -- I thought I would have to dip 'n' dab, but I was happy to not have to do that. Awesome. Interestingly, this color combination reminds me of a similar layering experiment I blogged 2 years ago, so you can tell I'm a fan of how they look together. (Ashley, maybe the dark blue/copper combo is something you can post soon!)

Initially I thought I would purge this duo, but seeing how beautiful these polishes look together made me reconsider. Silly me. No double elimination for me this time, so Shantay, you may stay.

And so ends Part I of my 2016 Pastel Obsession. Do you guys have any favorites? Please leave some color or polish recs in the comments and I will go through my stash to pick more.

But I'd most like to hear from any of you who own a bunch of Pahlish polishes -- did you also have any issues with yours fading and dulling? I'm hoping I just got unlucky and ended up with bad batches. As much as I've come to love the brand, I can't justify buying more in the future if this sort of thing continues to be a problem (and I don't think I've bought any since the Pianos and Little C rereleases). I'll definitely shoot Shannon & Team Pahlish an email soon to give them a heads up about this. And really, I guess I'd just like to know if anybody else had the same problems I did.

Thanks so much for reading! Have a good weekend, and I'll be back next week with more pastels (yasssss!).

6 comments:

  1. I have 3 melmer drawers full of Pahlishes and I don't have too many that have had pigment troubles. I sold the 3 you mentioned a year or so ago, but I don't remember them being any different than they were when I bought them. I have had some trouble with ones with white bases going all "ugly bottle syndrome" on me, some within a month or two of purchase (though I think they were sitting too close to my laptop and may have gotten hot), but the actual polish wasn't affected. Pahlish is my favorite brand, so I would keel over and die if I opened my drawers and found things had changed!! O.O

    This duo is one of my all time faves, and yep, I have them all! Love it on you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 ... melmer ... drawers ... oh my God, hahaha. Out of curiosity, which white-based ones went ugly on you? They weren't pastel, were they? D: I know even regular mainstream brands have pigment fading problems every now and then, so it doesn't surprise me when it also happens with indies. I just don't like blowing money on this kind of surprise. :'(

      Thanks so much for commenting, Rachel! <3 I have another 2014 duo I'll need to share one of these days ...

      Delete
  2. This is so funny, I was just about to text you for a color combo! I am def going to use navy blue/copper soon! Also, these colors are gorgeous and I am a little sad I didnt get them but since I'm moving/trying to pare down my massive mounds of *stuff* I'm glad I don't have to ponder the possibility of giving it away like half of my current stash. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GREAT MINDS. I love it. I'm just going to leave you little suggestions as they occur to me! ;)

      Ugh, I can't imagine trying to pare my stash down for a huge move like the one you're about to make. :( On the flip side, I know you'll be able to come up with more cool looks with all the great basics you'll keep!

      Delete
  3. That lavender polish is so darned pretty AND it reminds me of Easter, which is totally my favourite candy holiday, so I'm all over that one. It's inspiring me to pull out one of my speckled Illamasqua polishes for my Easter mani (hey, remember when you could buy Illamasqua in North America? YEAH.). I don't own any Pahlish polishes but I have had some glitter-filled indies bleed on me in a relatively short period of time, so I feel your pain.:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ favorite candy holiday, but where is the lie? I haven't bought Easter candy in years, though I do love the occasional Cadbury egg. And RIP to Illamasqua in NA (I did notice I can purchase it for a significantly reduced shipping/customs fee via the Illamasqua website, but I've gotten just about all my polish off of Hautelook sales lately). Between bleeding/fading indie glitters and mainstream neons that fade, I'm a definitely more choosy about polish these days!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.