Monday, March 14, 2016

Essie Meet the Parents

Kind of cheating today, because I actually wore this polish around this time last year and didn't blog it because hiatus. I remember being unable to decide whether to purge or stash it for good, so I decided to revisit it when I came across it the other day since pastels are very much a thing for me right now.

My hang-up with Essie Meet the Parents is this: I like this color a lot. It's very calming and very beach house, and I remembering telling B last year that he should paint his bedroom in this color because it's GOOD. But I wasn't certain if I could make it work as a polish, since it's a little bit muted. What do you think?




Three coats with Essie Good to Go.








I don't know how to describe Meet the Parents, other than that it's everything I wanted Essie Truth or Flare to be. And like I said, it's a dusty, slightly muted pastel blue that I think would be a stunner on someone with a skin tone that's darker than mine. Don't let the photos deceive you -- Meet the Parents really looks like ass on me IRL, but dammit, I like it!

As for application & formula: People who've blogged this say it's opaque in two coats. I don't remember how many I used last year, but this time, I definitely needed three (not sure if that's because my bottle of Gelous is on its way out?). It's a little watery compared to thicker cremes, but as long as you work slowly, it's nowhere close to being the nightmare that was Essie The More the Merrier. I wore and originally swatched this with SV, but it wouldn't cooperate for shit (current bottle is also on its way out) so I gave up and dug out a bottle of Essie's Good to Go top coat and it looked better. I remember this top coat helped this polish last perfectly for at least four days last year; this time, I wore it for three days, with Good to Go on my left hand and leaving SV on my right. That right hand looks like a disaster, with tip wear and chipping on two nails on Day 2. Da fuck? I think part of the problem is that my nails are pretty weak right now (to me, anyway), so I'll have to make some changes to my routine. :/

Meet the Parents is the only polish I snagged from Essie 2014 Bridal -- if you like pastels, bridal collections are very good for this sort of thing (sidebar: have you seen pics of OPI SoftShades 2016? HEART EYES, MOTHERFUCKER. Also, someone please remind me to dig out my butter LONDON Sweet Somethings set). I bought my bottle at Ulta last year during a "B2 polishes, G1 free Essie nail treatment" promo when I needed something else to get a free bottle of Good to Go, my favorite Essie top coat. It's not HTF online, and I see it at TJ Maxx every now and then.

The name of this polish will never not make me think of one Nurse Gaylord Focker, so here:




Despite knowing nothing about "Godspell" except for this song, this scene always cracks me the hell up. I used to watch this movie a lot in high school for some reason, and even now I'll leave it on if it comes on TV. Like, "Meet the Parents" never will be selected for film preservation or anything, but it's good comfort movie/background noise material for me, and that's what's up. Maybe I'll put it on while I do my laundry ...

Well, it looks like this Essie is a stash FO SHO. Compared to other Essie blues, Meet the Parents has such a weathered look that I don't know if I'd recommend it as a wedding day "something blue" option, you know? I feel like lacquerheads would opt for a color with something a little more ... more. (For example, Essie Saltwater Happy was Anna's choice and I'll always associate that blue with her wedding.) But I'd love to hear what you think, because taste and aesthetics are subjective and I know a lot of brides IRL who defaulted to French tips on their big day. (I WOULD NEVER.) So sound off with a comment about this polish, bridal polish collections, the polish you wore (or think you'd wear) for your wedding, the Fockers, whatever. I wanna know.

Hope y'all are doing well, especially knowing that spring is most definitely on its way! Things are still cray cray over here, but now that Daylight Saving Time gave us another hour (translation: YASSS EXTRA NATURAL LIGHT), I think it will be easier for me to do a little bit more here in a pinch. \o/ Next time on Stuff: my 2016 St. Patrick's Day green, because why wear green clothing when you can have green nails? #priorities

Oh, and Happy Pi Day!

8 comments:

  1. I love cool-toned greys. I just went on spending spree getting a few polishes in that color range, just because I love it so much. For my wedding, which is interesting you bring this up because yesterday I just did a wedding post, I'm pretty sure I went with light pink. I can't tell in the picture. That was pre-nail lacquer obsessive phase so it's expected. p.s. I bought the OPI soft shades already. sitting pretty in my swatch pile. soon my pretties, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chelsea! I just went over and looked at your post and died a little reading about the heat. And yeah, a lot of married ladies on the old MUA nail board said they would have done something snazzier than a plain sheer or French if they'd been in their nail phase back then!

      Ugh, so jealous of your OPI soft shades. I can't wait to see those in stores so I can get a better look.

      Delete
  2. so I came back to look at your swatch again and it was TOTALLY grey on my other monitor. Don't I feel dumb. Still beautiful. smh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! This is why I hate working on pics at my bf's house ... his monitors are a gajillion times weirder than mine. :)

      Delete
  3. Love that colour and I think it looks great on you and I agree would be a great wedding mani! I got married slightly before full on nail obsession in 2008 so I wore a French, it was a nice one but I'd definitely do something more adventurous now! I did consider Black Cherry Chutney which I had recently discovered but in the end stuck with the standard. (By the way I am kathmcs on Instagram!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine, my nail obsession also kicked in in 2008 (November, I believe). Black Cherry Chutney is one of my favorites, too, but I definitely see how that wouldn't be a popular wedding day choice.

      Haha, between your sweet comments here and on IG, I figured it was you! ;)

      Delete
  4. Ooooh, I like this one a lot. I don't tend to pay much attention to the Essie bridal collections, because how many pinks and sheers does the world need? But this I like. I want to own a beach house in this colour or something. And yes, OPI Soft Shades 2016 does look really, really pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, IDK, I liked their 2013 collection (and 2012 also) -- but I agree, that was rather pink-heavy. Still, better than last year's! (no regrets about Brides No Grooms, though)

      I seriously can't wait to see Soft Shades 2016 in person. IDK why I'm so in love with pastels right now.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.