Monday, April 4, 2016

Sinful King Kylie (1/?): SinfulShine Koko-Nuts

When Sinful Colors announced their SinfulShine collaboration with Kim Jenner King Kylie, I think everyone could hear the nail world's collective "BUT WHY???" Even I side-eyed it initially. But whatever our feelings are about her family, I think we can agree on a few things:
  1. I will fight anyone who says that their Holiday 2011 Nicole by OPI collection sucked. YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH. I'll admit that the colors weren't the most innovative, but the execution was flawless! To this day, Kourt is Red-y for a Pedi is one of my favorite polishes of all time. I have a back-up bottle because it is everything.
  2. Cosmetics is a solid move, both for Kylie and in general. Remember how hard their Sears clothing line flopped? Yeah, that happened. Cosmetics/nail polish is a shamefully comparatively easy money grab. Plus I hear the Kylie lip kits are more than decent ... like, actually pretty good. 
  3. A lot of people were like, "LOL but Sinful Colors? Really? Drugstore?" Side eye that if you must, but going the drugstore route also is a solid move. Sinful does put out a lot of great, affordable stuff that's more accessible than something you'd have to get at a department store or online (like the lip kits). I was a little surprised it wasn't another NOPI collaboration, but in the end my wallet was glad that it was Sinful. $2.99 a pop is easier to stomach than $6.99 or $7.99 or whatever NOPI goes for these days.

Yup, $2.99 a pop. Talk about sinful! And if we're throwing it way, way back, I'm pretty sure that SinfulShine polishes were $2.99 when they were first released, too.

Okay, enough blathering for now. Here is SinfulShine Koko-Nuts, which Madeline picked out for me to try first.




Three coats with NYC Grand Central Station.










"DAMN IT, KYLIE" is what I've been saying about these polishes since seeing them in person, and I have a feeling I'm going to be saying it A LOT. Isn't this gorgeous?! I'm still all about white and gold together, and that glass fleck finish ... ughhhhhhhhh, I love it. Now the interesting thing about this polish is that the white base color is very much a creme, as opposed to most true glass flecks, which usually are jelly-based. So I was pretty surprised to find that I got preeeeetty good coverage on the first coat, and that it was opaque at two. I used three out of habit and because I don't trust two coats when it comes to photos, but if you find that you have any patches or weirdness after two coats, a third won't kill ya.

I was anticipating a fluffy formula because of the white creme base, but this one wasn't too fluffy -- I think the gold glass fleck shimmer helped out with that. Koko-Nuts was leaps and bounds easier to apply than China Glaze Dandy Lyin' Around (blogged here). Nevertheless, I'd advise you to wait in between coats (which have an average dry time, btw) so you don't have patchiness or pooling. I topped this with a bottle of NYC Grand Central Station for these swatch pics and wore it for the rest of the day. Dry time was stupid fast. I didn't have any chips, although sadly I did have some cracks on the nail for some reason (it's been a long time since I wore GCS -- perhaps I'll just have to get reacquainted with its formula?). Anyway, I only wore this for a day because I was so excited about Cheshire China, and as a result, I can't tell you whether the sparkle dulled beyond that duration of time. I would like to think it wouldn't. If you know, you should spill.

I'm 99.9% sure that "Koko-Nuts" is a play on the family nickname for Kylie's sister Khloe. I know for a fact that Kourtney's kids call Khloe "Koko," so as an ONTD detective, this seems plausible. Anyway, should you decide to pick up your very own bottle of Koko-Nuts, Walmart should still have this SinfulShine display; according to Sinful Colors' various social media outlets, these Kylie polishes have expanded to other retailers (check the Sinful Colors site for locations near you), and lacquerheads in Canada and the UK can expect to see these polishes soon!

What do you gals think of Koko-Nuts or any of the Sinful Kylie colors? A new Sinful Kylie collection of matte polishes came out last Friday, with some colors available exclusively at Target, some available exclusively at Walgreens, and a few colors at both stores. I have to say that I like the Walgreens colors just a little bit more than I like the Target ones, but two Target ones I did buy look really damn awesome, which I can't believe I'm saying. You'll see one of those soon. The shimmer factor is unreal.

Oh, and if you have any thoughts about any of the stuff I mentioned at the beginning of this post -- NOPI, cosmetics as a branding venture, high-end vs. drugstore retail -- definitely let me know. I mean, you already know what I think: damn it, Kylie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 comments:

  1. That NOPI/Kardashian collab WAS really good. I also may or may not own several colours from their Bieber collection (and I also possibly really like his latest album? I hate myself right now). The TL;DR is that these collaborations generally seem to pan out pretty well and I am full of self-loathing because of it.:-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I have a bunch of those NOPI Beebz polishes, too. *fistbump* I'm kind of wondering why Ariana Grande hasn't come out with some cosmetic line of any kind (esp. NOPI) because I actually like her debut album and I think she would have some interesting colors!

      Delete
    2. Um, I'm pretty sure an Ariana Grande nail polish/makeup collection would be pretty amazing...why HASN'T that happened yet??

      Delete
  2. I almost got this one, I mean it's totally my kind of polish! I have to stop at Bartell's today so I'll have see what they still have. I'm curious about which matte colors are exclusive to target/walgreens. I'll have to do some research cause I want them all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: the exclusive colors - If I still have the pictures on my phone, I'll send them to you. But Kool as a Kukumber (ugh the Ks) & Butterkup are available at both Target & Wags. I got one too many and I still want more >___<

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.