Monday, May 9, 2016

Gift of Fab: OPI The Berry Thought of You

My mother likes to say my younger sister and I inherited her two biggest beauty vices, perfume (my sister) and nails (who, me?). Despite sitting through her fair share of mani-pedis in college and med school, my mother does not exactly encourage this nail hobby of mine. In fact, I practically can hear her screech, "YOU HAVE SO MANY NAIL POLISH AND THEY WILL GO BAD" (translation: "YOU ARE WASTING YOUR MONEY") every time I do so much as look at a bubble mailer, even if I'm nowhere in her proximity. I've also gotten the spiel about giving my nails a break and letting them "breathe" -- Asian mother, what are you gonna do, right? So, yes: you would be correct in assuming that she's never gotten me a polish. That's fine, because our tastes are so different it's hilarious, and also, she can get me other things if she really wants to.

You know who totally will get me polish, though? Her sister. The polarity between my mom and my aunt have been the stuff of family lore for ... forever, and it has been very interesting for me to observe as an adult. My mom and my aunt are complete opposites from the way they look, speak, dress, and accessorize (although both of them love a great bargain). Even their nail color choices are so different; my mother wears regular boring mom shades, but my aunt LOVES neons and brights -- I'm 90% sure she's wearing OPI Gelato On My Mind right now. But my aunt and I have always been close, partially because I'm a fluke offspring who never really left Virginia and partially because I'm the closest thing she has to a daughter. Basically, my aunt has been spoiling me rotten since birth. One of my earliest memories is of her taking me on a shopping trip to Hills (does anyone remember that store?) and buying me my first Barbie, 1988 Fun to Dress Barbie. I must have been two years old.

These days, my aunt still takes me along on shopping trips, but sometimes I drive us. And although she's no longer buying me Barbies, she still tries to pay for my purchases, gas, or for my meals! The only times she let me pay for something have been when I took her out for a Mother's Day Mexican lunch last year, when I took her to watch "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" two years ago and "Captain America: Civil War" on Saturday night. If we're out shopping and are in line together, she'll just say, "Did you find anything? Let me have it!"  in a voice that no child dare disobey -- be it my cousin, my sister, or myself -- so I will meekly comply and add my things to her cart or basket.

This is pretty much what happened at the beginning of March when we stopped at Sally's so she could buy a new file and a pumice stone. I forgot all about the teaser comb I wanted after making a beeline for the clearance polishes. I had been waiting for a certain OPI to go on clearance, because as much as I adored the color, I didn't want to pay $9.49 or whatever it is Sally charged last year for full-price OPI. $3.69, however, I absolutely could do! I found two more clearance goodies and an OPI Hello Kitty I'd been wanting, and had just made it to the register with my Sally card when I heard my aunt unzip her purse behind me. "What did you find?" she asked. "Let me have it!" With that went any delusion I had of buying my own polish that night. But since she forgot her Sally card, we had to use mine, so we? I? got the April coupon. I also coerced her into letting me buy her groceries an hour later. Small victories, I suppose.

And that is the story of how I (finally) came to be in possession of OPI The Berry Thought of You, one of my most coveted polishes in the past year. Do I have the greatest aunt or what? I hate drippy FB meme-type posts, but this one is pretty much 100% true. I am very lucky to have her.




Three coats with SV.





















When my aunt saw "The Winter Soldier," she could not get over Chrevans (but who among us has not felt some way about him at some point?). She kept shaking her head and saying, "What's his name? He's too handsome." Twenty minutes later: "He's too good-looking!" He was just TOO, an assessment I believe also applies to this polish. The Berry Thought of You is just TOO. It is the heart eyes emoji.

In actuality, I think The Berry Thought of You is a bit deeper, cooler, and more purple than I could get my photos to show. But you get the idea. Its squishy jelly-creme finish reminded me a lot of another of my favorite polishes of all time, Deborah Lippmann Between the Sheets, which in turn is a jelly-creme version of OPI Ate Berries in the Canaries, which is a cooler version of OPI Dim Sum Plum -- all of those polishes are very beloved by me, as I will flip tables for this color. It always looks good. Plus I think its bluer, semi-orchid tint makes it a tad more interesting than your standard raspberry and coral pinks (which I also love). So you see why I was so instantly attracted to this color, even though I waited a long time to acquire it!

The formula on this one was amazing. Two squishy, perfect coats are all you need for opacity (I used three out of habit). Dry time is a breeze, as well. I didn't have any staining issues when I removed it, but if that's something you're really worried about, I cannot recommend Orly Cutique enough!

The Berry Thought of You was part of OPI's LE Summer Brights collection for 2015. IIRC, that collection had two repromotes from Summer 2014 and the rest were new shades. To be fair, OPI cranks out so many collections that you can blink and you'll miss some polishes. Oh, and the 2015 Summer Brights had three unoriginal creme offenders, a navy blue, a bright red-orange, and this color. The worst thing you can say about The Berry Thought of You is that it wasn't all that original, I'll give you that. But damn it, I love it. I even love that I start singing whenever I read or type out its wonderful, dumb name.


THIS ALBUM. FOREVER. RIP, Natalie.


Thanks for reading this late Mother's Day post! I hope all you moms out there had a good one. Anyone do anything fun last weekend? Are you Team Cap or Team Stark? I am Team New Person Who is Getting His Own Beautiful Movie, but if I really had to choose ... my eyes say Team Cap, but my heart is saying Team Stark. I'll probably watch this again when my dad gets back in the country, haha.

Okay, I gotta go. I actually have to meet my aunt at the seamstress's to drop off some things we need taken in. I'll be hanging out with B and SMA this week, but I'll have at least one post scheduled for while I'm gone. Catch you later!


P.S. My sister and now my aunt are the only family members who know about this blog. I told my aunt about it two months ago. To be fair, she doesn't totally understand what a blog is yet, though she knows that I take pictures of my nails and type a lot on the computer. Same thing, right?

8 comments:

  1. That color is fab on you <3 We're going to see Civil War tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bb! I bet you would look lovely in it, too. OMG you've probably seen it by now so ... expect texts tomorrow. Lots of texts. <3

      Delete
  2. I get the whole 'let your nails breathe!' spiel constantly! That color looks so good, I completely skipped the collection last year (I usually skip summer polishes) but I might get this one. It's so saturated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um ... BUY THIS. It's amazing. I'm so glad that 8? 9? months of stalking this color totally paid off, LOL.

      Delete
  3. I can see why you waited on this one, it's absolutely gorgeous. And now you have me wanting to paint my nails in some squishy, juicy, super shiny color...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think you could do some fun nail art with this one. And I just want to wear all the squishy, juicy polishes now ...

      Delete
  4. Ugh, this is so amazing! I need to try to hunt it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should! I've got a soft spot for colors like this. Plus they truly do look gorgeous on everyone!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.