Friday, June 24, 2016

Deborah Lippmann Mermaid's Kiss

Oh, hi!

So, about not knowing what June would hold for this blog ... apparently, the answer is this post, because I've worn all of two polishes this month (!). June's always been a busy month for my family, and I've been running around Virginia like a truck driver lately but all generally is well. I'm just soaking up summer, which in this week's case has meant staying up too late anxiously streaming the news and crushing S4 of "Orange is the New Black" + S2 of "Grace & Frankie" because it's been raining too much to really get out.

Anyway, both summer and I are on the blog now. :) This is one of the most summery colors I could think of, and had I posted this earlier, it would have been a nice, semi-timely nod to the Coney Island Mermaid Parade last weekend. I didn't go, of course, although I enjoy looking at the parade photos every year because gdi, I love a theme and what better theme is there to ring in the summer season? Obviously I had to pull out a Lippmann Mermaid for the occasion. It was tough to narrow down a final choice, but I think Mermaid's Kiss was a good one.




Three coats with SV.








Mermaid's Kiss undoubtedly is THE foofiest (if not one of the foofiest) polishes I have ever worn, and yet strangely, I loved it. It's so pretty. The sheer light pink base kind of blends into my skin tone a little bit, however, I think the greeny-gold shimmer and the darker pink glitters save it and really pop in a good way. The sheer base gives those glitters a milky look, which is TDF. My best friend actually asked, "Is that just one polish?" thinking I'd done some layering magic, but ... nope! Just this. :D

I needed three coats to get this opaque because of the sheer base (one coat is fine if you're in the mood for a sheer-ish shimmer party). Luckily, the formula is a dream! It dries fairly quickly and it's so easy to work with -- it is so NOT the type of glitter formula that B refers to as "confetti and glue," where you have to keep pushing it around the nail. I did my nails while he was waiting for a shirt to come out of the dryer and despite being pretty expedient in my process, both he and I were a little surprised with how quickly and easily I was able to get from base to top coat with this polish. And as if that wasn't enough, Mermaid's Kiss even dries flat. It isn't a thirsty glitter at all ... I didn't even need to do a coat of Gelous before SV. It stayed flat throughout the 5? 6? days I had it on, though predictably my two chip-prone fingers had chipped by the end of Day 3. Removal wasn't terrible, but I'd still recommend using a fresh felt square/cotton round/whatever and a quick handwash to get those remaining tiny glitters.

The Lippmann Mermaid collection was released in the summer of 2013 after DL Mermaid's Dream became a favorite (I thought I had that one, but my Helmer search revealed that I do not). Since I can't find it on the Lippmann site any more, Mermaid's Kiss must have been LE, as is Do the Mermaid ... which is too bad, because those were two of the best Lippmann Mermaids, IMO. There are a few bottles left on the Bloomingdale's site, so if you're a Lippmann/mermaid/pink polish lover and you're feeling frisky, absolutely jump on it. Now I'm 90% sure I bought my bottle in some kind of sale back at the end of 2014 or so ... but as I say too often here, I don't know why I waited so long to use it!

Well ... now you've seen half my content for June, haha. I will say that what I'm wearing right now is pretty interesting in the sense that I'm still not sure if it looks good on me. I'm letting it marinate, as one Helen Cooper would say (I love "Kissing Jessica Stein" so much -- one of my favorite movies, for sure). At least this Lippmann gave good photo. If any of you own any of these Lippmann Mermaids, I'd love to hear what your favorites are. Should I get Mermaid's Dream? What are your favorite mermaid polishes? I'm tempted to pull out WnW Waves of Enchantment again ... it's been a while.

Thanks so much for dropping by! I hope y'all are having a good summer so far. Got any good plans? I don't think I'll be jet-setting like I did last year ... honestly, I ought to invest in? borrow? a GRE prep book. :/ But if I can finish this library e-book before it needs to go back, I'm looking at a laundry and "Sense8" marathon this weekend. I've been warned that the first couple episodes are a slog to get through, but I'm ready.


P.S. I saw "Love & Friendship" earlier this week and loved it -- I love Whit Stillman, plus it's been, what, 20 years since Kate Beckinsale did a literary adaptation/costume piece and she was awesome. Oh, and I spent like 1/4th of the movie trying to figure out who Xavier Samuel reminded me of, but I got it now: I'm getting a little Theo James + a little Ben Barnes. Anyone else?

6 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw the words "limited edition" my heart started to beat faster. I've had Mermaid's Kiss and Do The Mermaid on my wishlist for a couple of years...I think it's time to bite the bullet. I haven't been wearing polish for the last 3 months or so, just haven't felt like it, but pretty pink and purple glitter might wake me up. Looks fantastic on you, btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! LOL, the LE affliction is too real. But those polishes really are lovely, and I think they absolutely would help you get out of your polish funk. :)

      Delete
  2. I missed this post! That is super pretty and so delicate looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all good! It snuck in under the radar. ;) This polish is like a glass fleck with a liiiiiittle extra somethin' somethin'. You'd love this.

      Delete
  3. I love and own all the DL mermaid polishes. I think Mermaid's Dream might be my favourite (since I never met a teal/turquoise/aqua polish I didn't like), but honestly, I like them all. I might have to wear one soon, since they really do scream summer, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you have them all! Ahhhh, I only sprung for the 4 I have because they were on mega sale and I couldn't resist. ;) Do you think Mermaid's Eyes is prettier on the nail than it is in the bottle? (Sensing a future blog post, haha)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.