Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Pretty Serious Cosmetics Dupe

For whatever reason, it's been a couple of years since my last Pretty Serious haul. Your guess why is as good as mine, because (1) Kaz always has a killer range of colors & finishes in stock, (2) customer service is on point, (3) the AUD to USD exchange rate makes this brand incredibly affordable, and (4) PS has a U.S.-based distributor, so those of us stateside don't have to worry about dealing with international mail quirks, customs, etc.

PS had a flash sale last month, so I let myself spring for three polishes I'd been wanting, plus one from the very latest PS collection, Serious Business. I love the concept behind this collection (don't you love it when polish brands unabashedly are "for us by us"?), and couldn't resist adding Dupe to my cart.




Three coats with SV.










Normally I'm not big on glitter, but as a purple lover, I fell hard for Dupe's glitter combo. There's purple, fuchsia, pale yellow gold, blue, teal, and green glitters plus some holo pieces that I surprisingly didn't mind, as well as some green shards (not pictured). I do find, however, that because there's so much going on, a little bit is compromised in the way of formula and the visibility of the dark blue base (some say it's teal, it's closer to a midnight blue for me). I also didn't really see the glass fleck everyone else is talking about. I guess you also could layer Dupe over a dark polish, but that's not really my style.

So, about the formula: While Dupe is so fun to look at, it's a little bit annoying to work with, and again, I'm convinced glitter mixture is why. It's thick and I suspect it will be a little goopy on any use afterwards -- which generally is my experience with Pretty Serious as well as RBL (must be a resin thing?) -- so I might have to thin it a little in the future. It covers fine in two coats, but upon closer inspection under both a window and my OttLite, I didn't think the jelly base was opaque enough, so I added a third. Dupe is a thirsty glitter, so you may want to consider a Gelous glitter sandwich or using a special glitter top coat. I went straight for my Seche and had average dry time with this one.

Wear was unusually awesome -- I can't remember when I put it on, which means I wore this for either 6 or 7 days. I had minimal tip wear and didn't get any chips until Day 4? 5?, when some of the glitters around my free edges started snagging on everything. But I was immensely pleased and impressed, because up until now, I ALWAYS have had chips within one day of putting on a Pretty Serious polish, grrrr. It's nice to know that I have at least one PS that is capable of making it through a good chunk of the week! I'm looking forward to experimenting with more of my untried PS polishes. :D Dupe still should be available on the Pretty Serious site for whatever $9.95 AUD retails for in your country, and once again I'll remind you PS has a US/CAN. distributor and frequent sales/promos, so if you're looking to try something new and awesome, I enthusiastically recommend that you shop your little heart out there.

Talk to me about Serious Business! Anyone else love the concept of this collection? Did you buy any of these polishes, or do you have any favorites? I wouldn't mind a couple more, but I'd rather scoop up some of their blogger collab (supposedly Dupe's makeup is similar to Scrangie's PS collab polish) and Museum of Naileontology releases first (Khepri's Amulet, y'all!). Maybe before I disappear from blogging, I'll try to throw up a couple other PS posts. With the indie market's continued oversaturation, I'm glad PS still is around doing their thing and kicking butt.

I hope everything is going well for you guys, and that you're enjoying what for some of you are the last days of summer since it's almost back-to-school time (!). I'm drowning in family stuff and the grad school application process -- I want to submit my materials early in December instead of mid-January (lbr, I'm gonna want to enjoy the holidays instead of stressin'). It's nice to be working toward a tangible, measurable goal again but oh my god, it's extra stressful after being out of school for nearly a decade. It probably doesn't help that I'm so neurotic and overly risk-averse that I tend to agonize over big decisions more than I normally would. So I hope everything works out in the end.

Thanks for reading! I hope to post again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.